Win 70 Super Shadow in .223 WSSM; input on rifle & cartridge

June 15, 2007, 02:41 AM
A local shop has a used Winchester M70 Super Shadow chambered in .223 WSSM (excellent condition; $435.00); I have been contemplating whether to buy this rifle; I currently own a Tikka T3 Lite chambered in .223 Remington that I like alot...

with that stated...does anyone have any input about the rifle or the cartridge; how much advantage do I get over .223 Remington and .22-250?

If you enjoyed reading about "Win 70 Super Shadow in .223 WSSM; input on rifle & cartridge" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 15, 2007, 08:23 AM
I think it would make for a neat coyote caliber.

As far as comparing it to a 223 will get a significant boost in velocity to be sure. What it would be over a 22-250...the 223 Wizzum has about a 12 grain greater case volume (water) advantage...I am not sure on that part...but I would think mebbe a 300-400 fps advantage with similar weight bullets.

I would also assume that the Wizzum's will shortly become a handloaders pet and not have much in the way of commercial support...BUT you can form cases off of the 300 will just need to do a bit of case trimming...

Of course, the cartridge might become the next best thing to sliced bread and there will be one on every gun rack in never can tell.

I would personally get it as it seems to be reasonably priced and its a Winchester. Not sure but did you notice if it were a CRF (The CLAW) or a CRPF (Remchester)?

June 15, 2007, 11:32 PM
I shot the SS in .243 WSSM. It is an accurate and reliable rifle. The only downfall is that the barrel adds a crapload of weight to the rifle.

June 16, 2007, 01:09 AM
should equal or beat the speed of a 22.250, with better bbl life. hopefully , one day, all rifles will be hugely short, yet fat , carts, for better powder burn, and longer bbl life, they are gonna have to figure out how to make 'em run perfect in asemi auto , though. Check out the custom shop Savage, 5.35 c. 32 grain cart going 4800 fps!!!!

June 16, 2007, 01:12 AM
.223 WSSM

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Just get a .22-250. It will be easier to get at the last minute. Still not as easy as .223, but definitely easier than .223wssm.

June 16, 2007, 02:32 AM
The 223 WSSM runs 100 or 150fps over the 22-250. Factory ammo is already uncommon and pricy and in 5 or 10 years will probably disappear entirely.

That rifle configuration doesn't make sense to me. A 3800fps, 400 plus yard varmint cartridge in a compact 6lb gun with a 22" barrel. I just don't see what this is remotely good for.

All 223 and 243 WSSMs have chrome lined barrels which is a great feature. Besides lasting longer they also clean up real easy.

June 15, 2010, 02:33 PM
I read this post from 2006, and did some reflecting on it. I was doing "223 wssm" searches, as I bought one last month at Gander Mountain. I paid $365for a Winchester Super Shadow. Weighs 6 lbs, fit leaves some to be desired, but it works. The factory loads are about 200 fps over the 22-250, and match the 220 swift. I bought a box of 55 gr Silvertips to break in the barrel, and the verdict is out on the accuracy. Brass is readily available, and lasts a long time according to the posts I've seen. I mounted a Weaver 6-24x44 varmint scope on it. I bought a set of dies for it, and will do some testing with Varget and 52 gr. SMK's. There are at least a couple of different factory loads for it at most Bass Pro's, Cabelas, Gander Mountain's, etc. From what I see, the cartridge will be here for a while, and for the handloader, it will be here until I am long gone. One thing I can say, IT IS FAST!

If you enjoyed reading about "Win 70 Super Shadow in .223 WSSM; input on rifle & cartridge" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!