7mm/08 or 6mmREM

PDA

RookieWingHunter
June 15, 2007, 08:21 AM
I recently recieved the new Field and Stream and they have helped me narrow what cartridge i am looking for down to 7mm/08 or 6mmREM, they say that the 7mm is a "Big Game: Light Kicker" and the 6mmREM is a "Varmints and Big Game Cartridge" I live in florida and i dont expect to be shooting out to 350 yards... thick woods, small fields... what would be a better choice? the 6mm ? Would i be able to hunt more game species with which one?

If you enjoyed reading about "7mm/08 or 6mmREM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
June 15, 2007, 08:49 AM
The 6mm is a bit tough to find in stores. The 7mm-08 is a classic and one of the best secrets out there. It's big on performance and light on recoil.

Oh, if you're dead set on a 6mm, the .243 will work just fine if you put in some practice and use good bullets.

Also, don't overlook the .260 Rem. Another sleeper cartridge, IMHO (I own one, so of course I'm biased).

Ed

loadedround
June 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
I am a big fan of the 6mm and own a custom barred Model 70 varmint rifle and a Ruger Model 1B in this caliber. The 6mm Rem is a much better cartridge ballisitically than the 243, but unfortunately has never become as popular as the 243 or 7mm/08. Very few manufacturers chamber rifles for it any longer and ammo may be in short supply very soon. However the 6mm is a handloader's dream and can be loaded as a light varmint or target load or to a mid size game load for deer sized animals. With the dozens of different 243(6mm) bullets around it is still a great cartridge and one I recommend after 40 some years of shooting and reloading.

Guns_and_Labs
June 15, 2007, 11:01 AM
Both good cartridges, but for different purposes. The 6mmRem is a great varmint round, but you need to pay attention to load it up for big(ger) game. Twist, bullet weight, etc. I have a couple of different 6mm's, and they are set up for p-dogs -- and can't shoot the heavier bullets at all well. But get it right, and it's a very nice whitetail or antelope cartridge.

The 7mm-08 is an incredibly versatile big game cartridge. It will handle any big game in FL, and still handle that annual trek to the west for open country hunting.

Both will handle a wide variety of species... but which species do you want?

Quintin Likely
June 15, 2007, 12:13 PM
I say split the difference - .260 Remington. :)

glockman19
June 15, 2007, 12:18 PM
I have shot the 7mm-08 and like it. You can tak down just about any game in N America withit.

ArmedBear
June 15, 2007, 12:35 PM
You can buy 7mm-08 at the store.

Unfortunately, 6mm is probably a handload-only round, even if you can find a hunting rifle chambered in it.:(

Jim Watson
June 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
I once had a 6mm Rem 700 BDL sporter and a friend has a very nice full custom Long Range match rifle. I think it is a fine cartridge and will do anything necessary to varmints or medium game like deer and antelope. It is almost unavailable as to new rifles and ammunition, the .243 Winchester won the battle in the marketplace.

I guess a 7-08 would do better for stuff like mule deer and moderate range elk. Another friend has a .280, another one of those good rounds that did not quite catch on, he thinks it suitable for anything short of big bear. But it is a bit more powerful than the 7-08.

JesseL
June 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
My local Wal-Mart has 6mm Remington.

What's with all the people saying it's hard to find? Every gun shop I check has it, maybe not as many different loads as more popular calibers, but it's definitely there.

glimmerman
June 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
The 7mm-08 is an excellent all around cartidge --- PERIOD!! very accurate, flat shooter, i have taken down many big whitetails here in Wisconsin (last was a 9 point that weighed in at 230lbs dressed) but will also do the job on smaller game way out passed the 300yd mark if you do your part.

RookieWingHunter
June 15, 2007, 06:53 PM
thanks for all your responses... the other species i hope to hunt for are coyotes... and hogs.

RookieWingHunter
June 15, 2007, 07:00 PM
one more thing... i like the fact that when i shot the 6mmrem i could see the hit through the scope(recoil-wise)... is that possible with the 7mm/08?

Jason_G
June 15, 2007, 07:50 PM
6mm is a heck of a round for whitetails. I have a Remington 742 in 6mm that I hunt with, and I'm always amazed at how this caliber never became more popular.

Jason

Ol` Joe
June 15, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hunting hogs I`d prefer the 708. Its heavier bullets (140gr+ vs 100gr for the 6mm) would make me a bit easier about chasing them in thick stuff. Both will do on deer and `lopes.
The ammo for the 7-08 is alot more common in stores also. If you don`t reload you might have trouble feeding a 6mm. I don`t know of any factory rifle chambered for the 6mm today although one of the smaller companies like Dakota, NULA, ect may.

sansone
June 15, 2007, 08:49 PM
I think for long range accuracy(flat shooting) 6mm or 243 is hard to beat. as a hunting rifle I would choose 7mm08

30-06 lover
June 16, 2007, 12:10 AM
I have a 6mm and like it a lot, but ammo is limited and I can only find it online. I would suggest getting the 7mm/08 due to ammo selection/ease of finding. The 7mm/08 can also work for a wider ranger of game as well IMHO. The 243 is something to consider as well because ammo selection is a lot better than the 6mm and is very similar in performance and ballistics of the 6mm.
-Mike

MachIVshooter
June 16, 2007, 12:34 AM
I have a 6mm that is used primarily for coyote. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer and antelpoe, though I believe the .243" bullets are a bit too small for elk. If you're not going to hunt anything over 400 pounds, the 6mm Rem. is a wonderful cartridge. But if elk are a future possibility, I'd go 7mm-08 (or better yet, the parent cartridge for the 6mm Rem; the venerable 7x57 Mauser).

rangerruck
June 16, 2007, 12:44 AM
Academy sells the 6mm ammo, 100 grn remmington , for about 12 to 15 bucks, everyday. yes it is lighter than a 7.08, but with about 500fps faster, it will knock game down like lightning!!!!

rangerruck
June 16, 2007, 12:55 AM
it is also better than a 243, it is about 200 fps faster, and way less spikey in nature. it also has a sick long neck on it, so it is easier, on bbl wear, cools the bbl throat off faster. By the way, I have a totally customed out 6 mm rig, with an air gauge- rated 26 inch douglas bbl, custom stock, tuned 1 lb.trigger with super wide trigger shoe, old redline recoil pad, all done in a beauty of a czech 24 mauser action, bedded of course. with a 1/12 twist, topped with a weaver 4x fixed, thats right only a 4x power, it will shoot the 100 grain remmy ammo, into nice big one holer groups, at 100 yds. I know, can't be done with a 4x, but it lays down so nice and still in the bags, the way this stock is made, you pull the trigger, the rifle doesn't jump up at all, only back.
If you do get a 6mm, you will want at least a 1/12 twist, and better yet, get a 1/10, this will let you shoot 100 grainers with total confidence , and if you handload, a 1/12 twist, will let you do everyting in a one hole punch, from about 70 to 90 grains.

Sunray
June 16, 2007, 12:58 AM
"...vs 100gr for the 6mm..." There are 105, 107 and I've heard about a 115 grain 6mm bullet. Not that it matters much.
RookieWingHunter, 6mm Rem ammo may not be as readily available. The 7mm-08 is readily available. So is the .243 Win. Especially in small places. Bucky's Hardware, way back in the Everglades, isn't likely to carry 6mm Rem. He will have .243 and likely the 7mm-08. There's nothing worse than getting to your hunt camp, miles from home, only to find you left your ammo on the kitchen table and not being able to find any in a local shop.
The difference bewteen a 6mm Rem and .243 is the case length and about 100 fps with like bullet weights. The downside to both is the rifling twist must be suitable for the bullets you use. A fast twist, 1 in 9.5, 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 will stabilize heavy bullets better than light bullets. Heavy being 85 grains and up. Plus the light bullets are usually made for varmints and aren't suitable for deer sized game.
Most hunting rifles come with a twist suitable for heavy bullets. Even rifles that have the word 'varmint' in their name. That's not a big deal though. There's no reason not to use heavy bullets on varmints. A 105 SP(deer bullet) out of a .243 will practically turn a ground hog inside out.
However, after all that, the 7mm-08 is more versatile. You can load bullets from 110 grains up to 190 grains. Covers anything you care to hunt.

ftierson
June 16, 2007, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Quintin Likely
I say split the difference - .260 Remington.

I agree with splitting the difference...

But 6.5x55mm is the way to go...

However, if faced with the choice between the two first mentioned, I'd pick the 6.5x55mm anyway, er, ah, I mean the 7mm-08...

:)

Forrest

Nematocyst
June 16, 2007, 05:31 AM
...thick woods, small fields...
what would be a better choice?.30-30. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258000)

koja48
June 16, 2007, 09:39 AM
For deer & yotes, I'd go with the 6mm . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "7mm/08 or 6mmREM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!