Winchester M70 Bolt Question

PDA

Mike T
June 15, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have a pre-64 Winchester Model 70, and I'd like to completely strip the bolt. Would someone please enlighten me on how to remove the claw (Mouser-type) extractor? I don't think trial and error is the way to go here!

Thanks,

Mike T

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M70 Bolt Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
June 15, 2007, 04:24 PM
It's just like a '98 Mauser. Apply pressure to the extractor at the midpoint to make it rotate slightly. Once it clears the extractor slot in the bolt, continue to rotate it to mid-point, then push it off forward.

To reinstall, position the ring as it was when you removed the extractor. Slide the extractor on until the T-slot in the underside engages the flanges on the ring, then continue to push until it goes home, then rotate until it engages its slot in the bolt.

Mike T
June 15, 2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Vern. I appreciate your help.

Mike

Vern Humphrey
June 15, 2007, 04:39 PM
De nada.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M70 Bolt Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!