Man dies in body armor accident

PDA

Ed Straker
June 24, 2003, 07:26 PM
Man dies in body armor accident
26-year-old stabbed in 'demonstration'
By Kieran Nicholson, Denver Post Staff Writer
A 26-year-old man was stabbed to death when he donned a bullet- proof vest and the victim's uncle plunged a knife into his chest to test the body armor, police said. The stabbing happened about 2:45 p.m. Friday at a home on the 9900 block of West 20th Avenue, said Steve Davis, a Lakewood Police Department spokesman.
Gabriel Aranda, 26, was taken to St. Anthony's Central Hospital, where he died a short time later, Davis said.
Amando Aranda, 32, the victim's uncle, was arrested on suspicion of first degree murder, Davis said.
"The suspect and victim were trying to demonstrate their belief that this type of protective vest could withstand a knife attack," Davis said. "Obviously that was incorrect."
The knife pierced the victim's heart, Detective Mike Rushford said.
Also in the home at the time of the incident were two boys, a 14- year-old and a 4-year-old.
The victim and Amando Aranda planned to show the teenager "what the vest could protect against," according to court documents.
Amando Aranda used a "long black-handled knife" from the kitchen and "poked" his nephew once, according to an arrest affidavit.
The two men had previously carried out the same demonstration four or five times in front of witnesses without injury, Amando Aranda told investigators.
In an attempt to save Gabriel Aranda, Amando Aranda used his finger to plug the knife wound in the victim's chest until paramedics arrived, the affidavit said.
The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said.
Aranda appeared in court Monday and has another court appearance scheduled Wednesday, said Pam Russell, a spokeswoman for the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office.
Aranda is being held without bond at the Jefferson County Jail.

If you enjoyed reading about "Man dies in body armor accident" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ed Straker
June 24, 2003, 07:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1473341,00.html

Ed Straker
June 24, 2003, 07:33 PM
Man dies in staged knifing
Pair tried to show strength of armor
By Tillie Fong, Rocky Mountain News
June 24, 2003
A Lakewood man died after he and his uncle tried to show two boys that a protective vest would deflect a knife attack.
It didn't.
Gabriel Aranda, 26, died at St. Anthony Central Hospital Friday of a laceration to the heart.
His uncle, Amando Aranda, 32, was being held without bond at Jefferson County Jail Monday on a first-degree murder charge.
Police were called Friday afternoon to a home in the 9900 block of West 20th Avenue where Gabriel Aranda was found bleeding from the chest.
Inside, they found Amando Aranda, along with a 14-year-old boy and a 4-year-old boy.
According to the arrest affadavit, Amando Aranda told police he and his nephew wanted to show the 14-year-old, a cousin of the victim, what the protective vest could do.
"Gabe told Amando to grab a good knife," the affadavit said. "In the kitchen, Amando grabbed a long, black handled knife and poked the vest worn by Gabe. The knife penetrated the vest and Gabe's chest."
The uncle told police he put a finger in the hole in Gabriel Aranda's chest while the teenager called 911.
"He explained he and Gabe have tested the vest with knives in such a manner four to five times in the last year in front of witnesses," the affadavit said. "Amando stated what happened was an accident."
Both Amando Aranda and the 14-year-old told police that the two men had been drinking before the "test."
The uncle said he had shared a pint of whiskey with the victim, and had a few beers prior to the incident. Amando Aranda also told police that he had smoked a pipe full of marijuana earlier.
Results of alcohol and drug testing for the two men were not available Monday, nor could family members be reached for comment.
According to Colorado Bureau of Investigation records, Amando Aranda has been arrested for a number of crimes in the metro area, including robbery, assault, possession of marijuana, disturbing the peace and firing a weapon.
In 2001, he pled guilty to charges of speeding and driving drunk. He was sentenced to 24 hours of community service, fined and placed on one year of probation.

Double Naught Spy
June 24, 2003, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately, too many of the participants survived. Too bad the demo was not sepuku.

pax
June 24, 2003, 07:42 PM
Sheesh.

It's really too bad we can't outlaw stupidity. It kills more people than any weapon ever manufactured.

pax

People who do stupid things with hazardous materials often die. -- Jim Davidson

El Tejon
June 24, 2003, 07:50 PM
Apparently some people do have their reality determined by television!:eek:

crawfordew
June 24, 2003, 07:53 PM
Evolution in action!
Gene

Boats
June 24, 2003, 07:56 PM
Famous Last Words:

"Oops, I forgot the trauma plate this time.":evil:

Penforhire
June 24, 2003, 07:57 PM
We have yet another winner of a Darwin award!

FPrice
June 24, 2003, 08:11 PM
"The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said."

"nuff said.

Byron Quick
June 24, 2003, 08:58 PM
"The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said."

And how many times had they performed this "demonstration?"

Maybe they only did it when they were drunk and stoned:neener:

QuarterBoreGunner
June 24, 2003, 09:01 PM
You know, I try and tell my self that I should really stop being surprised at the general idiocy displayed by people sometimes... and then catch myself being surprised yet again.

I'm speechless.

Something MUST be done about these 'cop-killer' Ginsu knives! They're obviously designed to defeat body armor! Won't someone think of the children?

/sarcasm

edit: Looking again at the headline... this was no accident; it was an 'ncd' = 'negligent cutlery discharge'

JDSlack
June 24, 2003, 09:14 PM
OUTRAGEOUS!!!

The vest manufacturer is obviously at fault. Any reasonable person could infer that since the vest is designed to stop bullets it would stop something like a knife. I'll bet there was no label on it that said "Not effective against knives." SUE, SUE, SUE.

Any bets some lawyer takes the case?

Good Lord the gene pool is getting shallow.

Mannlicher
June 24, 2003, 09:33 PM
I want to know where the warning label was on the vest? I am sure that if there had been a Federally mandated "Don't use a knife in combat" label, this tragedy could have been avoided.

Mastrogiacomo
June 24, 2003, 09:37 PM
What a horrible thing for the two boys to have witnessed....:(

Mark Tyson
June 24, 2003, 09:44 PM
Armor piercing knives! Thousands of victims every year! They kill more than "assault weapons"!

A lot of body armor offers no protection against edged weapons. Too bad these characters didn't know that.

Standing Wolf
June 24, 2003, 09:53 PM
The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said.

No genius quite like a self-inflicted genius.

ojibweindian
June 24, 2003, 10:19 PM
Tragic. I'm speechless. Poor kids.

Justin
June 24, 2003, 10:37 PM
A Lakewood man died after he and his uncle tried to show two boys that a protective vest would deflect a knife attack.
It didn't.

'Nuf said.

digex
June 24, 2003, 10:41 PM
I watched this on the local news last nite as well. I'm sure it was a horrible thing for the kids to see, but at the same time I'm sure it will be a lesson to them as well. These people are perfect examples of Darwin's law at work and while it is unfortunate, I guess I just figure that it's one less idiot in the world. These are people who, for one, shouldn't have body armor. They also obviously have no business with weapons.

stevelyn
June 24, 2003, 10:46 PM
I want to know where the warning lable was on the vest?

If you look at ballistic body armor closely, you will see the label the says " Does not provide protection from edged weapons".

Ballistic body armor gives limited protection slashing attacks and absolutely zero (0) from stabbing attacks. How do I know? Another officer and myself tested out his Benchmade folder, and my S&W Special Tactical tanto folder against a IIIA panel from a major manufacturer. Slashes would cut thorough two layers. My tanto blade sank through it like stabbing a dry sponge.

Hmmm..........I thought the pool had a little more chlorine in it than usual.:evil:

FPrice
June 24, 2003, 10:57 PM
"How do I know? Another officer and myself tested out his Benchmade folder, and my S&W Special Tactical tanto folder against a IIIA panel from a major manufacturer. Slashes would cut thorough two layers. My tanto blade sank through it like stabbing a dry sponge."

I assume that you tested it "off-body"???

:scrutiny:

feedthehogs
June 24, 2003, 11:13 PM
Keep thinning the herd.

If only we could accelerate the process.

capt_happypants
June 24, 2003, 11:15 PM
I'm sad to say that I knew Mr. Aranda - he was a customer at Blast-O-Rama, and I sold him an AR-15. From what little I knew, he was a nice fellow, but obviously, he didn't have the common sense to say "no" to this demonstration.

Bad decisions lead to deadly consequences. It's a hard lesson for his family to learn, but death awaits at every corner.

Some of the Lakewood officers will probably stop by - will try and get more details as they become available.

Mastrogiacomo
June 24, 2003, 11:46 PM
I find some of the comments made of this incident a tad cold -- not that I'm sure some of the folks here care what I think...as they've reminded me before. But "one less idiot in the world" and "thinning the herd" is really making this to sound like some kind of joke -- and a sick one at that. It was a horrible thing for those boys to see and I doubt they learned any deep messages other than someone they loved died needlessly. My thoughts anyway...I know some people stand by their comments that this is God's way of weeding out the losers but I disagree.

digex
June 24, 2003, 11:59 PM
I'll tell you what, if this story didn't include the use of drugs and alcohol along with someone stabbing someone else through a piece of body armor, I'd feel bad about what I said. Unfortunately this story does include those things and therefore has more than enough stupidity involved to justify my opinion. Sorry if that bugs you, but I won't back down from what I said. And BTW, I'm not joking about what I said. When something like this happens, then people die, just be glad he wasn't testing it out on one of the kids...

Ed Straker
June 25, 2003, 12:41 AM
Well, I feel sorry for the people involved, but it's kinda like 'He was cleaning the gun when it went off...'

No, he did somethng STUPID!

Mike Irwin
June 25, 2003, 02:49 AM
Helloooooooooooooooooooo Darwin...

bjengs
June 25, 2003, 03:26 AM
If I EVER check out in a manner as stupid as this fellow, I want EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD to log in and lambast me. I want you all to make it clear to my kids that their father was an abject moron and that it's not too late for them to avoid any sort of inherited behaviors. I want you to make my wife understand how dumb I was.

Because that's just plain dumb.

Combat-wombat
June 25, 2003, 03:36 AM
It's really too bad we can't outlaw stupidity. It kills more people than any weapon ever manufactured.
Amen!

It is very sad that some people are just too stupid to use judgement.

Duncan Idaho
June 25, 2003, 04:28 AM
My thoughts anyway...I know some people stand by their comments that this is God's way of weeding out the losers but I disagree.You disagree, but the dope smoking drunken moron is still dead.

Darwin tm brand chlorine!

When it absolutely has to get out of the gene pool!

resmeth
June 25, 2003, 04:54 AM
/sarcasm

I don't understand y' alls lack of outrage. It is obvious that these vile weapons of mass destruction must be stopped. How many more must die? We must do it for the... the.... children.

We must license and control them. The government should know who has them incase there is any mischief.

The next man who buys a Wursthof classic block set could easily be a serial killer. The blades must be registered and their profiles must be mapped.

Before you eat that steak (mmmm steak), don't forget to send an impression of that steak knife to Uncle Sam.

/serious

Think I am exaggerating. Look at the slippery slope we are on. tobaco>acohol>fatty foods> sugar. full automatics> semiautomatics>bolt action>pea shooters. You will be ruled by the increment.

PenHolder
June 25, 2003, 05:44 AM
Alright, I think we all can stipulate that the DOA was stupid, and we're not. Yay for us.

However, I wonder about this:

Amando Aranda, 32, the victim's uncle, was arrested on suspicion of first degree murder, Davis said.

Isn't first degree murder, premeditated homicide with intent? There don't seem to be any indicators of either, especially with the past "demonstrations". There was definitely a homicide, and there was definitely a lot negligence to go around. I can see how some of the particulars would influence the charges; the nephew saying "hey Uncle, stab this knife-proof vest, I promise it'll stop the knife" versus the uncle saying "c'mere Junior, put this on and I'll stab you, I promise it'll stop the knife".

Stupid and irresponsible, yes, but murder?!

Tamara
June 25, 2003, 05:51 AM
What I want to know is, did he actually say "Hey, y'all, watch this!" or "Hold my beer..."?

It's really hard to work up sympathy for someone who is so very obviously wilfully microcephalic. :scrutiny:

feedthehogs
June 25, 2003, 07:58 AM
The harsh reality is not that the kids saw this act, its that the many will pay for the stupidity of the few.

Surely a new law or regulation will grow from this act.

A laywer will sue, products will cost us more because of litigation or less competition, or increased liability costs.

Or maybe big brother will decide that body armor is not for its subjects and ban us from having it.

Think I'm too extreme, just study history.

Why do you think there are over 20k firearms laws?
Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties.
Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights. -Oriana Fallaci
These two are a perfect example of this statement.
In the end we all suffer because of stupid people.

mussi
June 25, 2003, 08:06 AM
I sincerely hope that one day, a big lighnting out of the hand of the Lord will strike down and wipe down idiocy completely.

Until that day, people will try to test bullet-proof vests.

gunsmith
June 25, 2003, 08:12 AM
but now I know I have good cause to shoot if a knife wielder
comes close while I am at work...I can say "I was afraid even though I wear a vest" and have proof

Ol' Badger
June 25, 2003, 09:18 AM
‘C’est la vie

Did they do this in front of the Kids? Did they smoke the dope while the kids watched? I wonder what the Lib's would think about all this? Smokeing Dope is ok, but knives and BP Vest are bad!
All the more reason to head to the hills.:(

Sleeping Dog
June 25, 2003, 10:30 AM
I'll bet the vest test was preceded by those three little Darwinian words: "Hey, watch this!"

Boats
June 25, 2003, 10:49 AM
On a more serious note, the stabber probably faces first degree murder charges for a number of reasons. First, he undeniably intended to stab the "victim." However, traditional criminal law requires mens rea, mental intent as well as actus reas, a voluntary physical act. For first degree murder, the mens rea aspect of this case appears weak at the outset, because if the account is correct, the stabber never intended to kill the "victim." He did intend to assault him, and one can make the case that if your intent leads to an unintended result, you pay the consequences. However, the more I chew it, the more this case tastes like involuntary manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide than any degree of murder.

Therefore, the most likely reason to charge first degree murder is so that manslaughter is not the starting point for any plea negotiations, good old fashioned charge inflation if you will.

[edited for improper verb tense]

keithernTN
June 25, 2003, 11:03 AM
I feel bad for the family for their loss.

But the world is a little bit safer place.

gburner
June 25, 2003, 12:06 PM
A stunt like this, preceeded by an afternoon of drinking alcohol and huffing weed reminds me of a line from 'Half Baked'...
'boy, you have smoked yourself retarded'.

Any sympathy I have is reserved for the young uns who had the misfortune to be front and center during this demo.

Edward429451
June 25, 2003, 12:27 PM
microcephalic. LOL.

His microcephalic head could've penetrated the body armor even easier than the knife or an icepick.

Keith
June 25, 2003, 12:46 PM
After reading Mastro's comment, I actually tried to work up some sympathy... but I just can't find any.

Too bad about the kids being involved, but even they will be better off without an idiot raising them.

RustyHammer
June 25, 2003, 12:51 PM
Darwin's theory at work again .... :uhoh:

moa
June 25, 2003, 08:02 PM
Interesting. Class III body armor will not stop stabbing with a pointed object like a knife, but will protect against slashing with an edged weapon.

I guess somethings do not change a lot in the area of body armor.

I fifty pound Medieval style, steel, chain mail shirt has the same characteristics according to a modern Norwegian manufacturer as it pertains to edged and pointed weapons. Of course, a chain mail shirt will not stop a bullet.

Mark D
June 25, 2003, 09:12 PM
Stupidity IS painful.

And often fatal.

TheeBadOne
June 25, 2003, 09:18 PM
How can this be called an accident? :confused:

Kevlarman
June 25, 2003, 09:26 PM
Hmm, class III armor is intended to stop rifle rounds, and as a result of the metal (or ceramic) plates in it, should be able to stop a simple knife.

Class IIIa on the other hand, it purely fabric, so a knife thrust would cut right through it.

Mastrogiacomo
June 25, 2003, 10:03 PM
So I guess it's rather like taking out the human garbage it? I'm sure they boys will see it that way too when they're old enough to realize why some people don't deserve to live...:rolleyes:

digex
June 25, 2003, 10:57 PM
See? I knew you'd start to see the light!

Blain
June 25, 2003, 11:25 PM
You think this is bad, on the radio this morning I heard some DJs discussing this episode. Both were surprised that bullet proof vest failed to stop a knife.

"But shouldn't a bullet proof vest stop a knife, though? You would think that, wouldn't you?"

:rolleyes:

George Hill
June 26, 2003, 12:04 AM
http://www.panspermia.org/darwin.jpg
"Well done, lad."

Tamara
June 26, 2003, 12:20 AM
So I guess it's rather like taking out the human garbage it?

Pretty much, yeah.

I'm sure they boys will see it that way too when they're old enough to realize why some people don't deserve to live...:rolleyes:

Hate it for the boys and all, but what would you call it when one guy says "Stab me in the heart!" and the other guy says "Okay!" Would that be, oh, I dunno, "stupid" perhaps?

I once personally knew two brothers who thought it was fun to get loaded and shoot empty beer cans off each other's heads. One of 'em came to see me one day with a big bandage where his ear should've been. I said "You're lucky he didn't blow your brains out, you friggin' idiot" right to his face. Should I treat this moron any different?

tommytrauma
June 26, 2003, 12:20 AM
I find some of the comments made of this incident a tad cold -- not that I'm sure some of the folks here care what I think...as they've reminded me before. But "one less idiot in the world" and "thinning the herd" is really making this to sound like some kind of joke -- and a sick one at that. It was a horrible thing for those boys to see and I doubt they learned any deep messages other than someone they loved died needlessly. My thoughts anyway...I know some people stand by their comments that this is God's way of weeding out the losers but I disagree.
Maybe if there was a shred less stupidity inherent in this act, I could agree with you. However, I truely do see the death of someone stupid enough to mix alcohol, drugs and deadly force together as evolution in action. He was totally and completely responsible for the results of his actions, and the culpability for the emotional trauma suffered by the kids rests squarely on the two fools who decided to pull such a stunt.

I'll save my sympathy for those unlucky enough to suffer from misfortune that is NOT of their own making.

Edward429451
June 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
I cant help but get a visual of this like that (1st?) scream movie where the two highschool kids are in the house stabbing each other. Funny and yet, not.

stevelyn
June 26, 2003, 12:15 PM
The testing consisted of securing the panel to stacked cardboard that "gave" when when stabbed with the knife.

hksw
June 26, 2003, 01:20 PM
IMO, not an accident. Just two mental defectives running at full capacity.

Alex_F
June 26, 2003, 04:50 PM
:scrutiny:

Darwin award candidates.

geekWithA.45
June 26, 2003, 05:30 PM
I'll bet there was no label on it that said "Not effective against knives."

Dunno about this guy's, but mine came with that label on the panel, on the carrier, and in the instructions.

Kevlarman
June 26, 2003, 07:50 PM
In fact, that labe must be on all vests in order to be certifed as per NIJ standard 0101.03.

QuickDraw
June 26, 2003, 09:03 PM
All I can say is, you just can't make this stuff up!:what:

QuickDraw

Malone LaVeigh
June 27, 2003, 01:48 AM
Hey, guys, you're all right. It was stupid, and some of the reactions here are ghoulish.

dragonesse91
June 27, 2003, 12:49 PM
Hi-I don't think they mean to be cold. People deal with things differently. Death by stupidity causes most people to shake their heads, some with pity, some with sarcasm. I think we all agree the death was needless and tragic, but so easily preventable, that it made the two involved look like fools. They were getting high, drinking, smoking pot and doing so in front of the children (BAD). Not at all the kid's fault, and a shame they saw it, but some good may still come from the tragedy, the kids got an unintended vision of "Consequences." I am very sorry they got the lesson that way, truly, but, perhaps the older one will learn from it and help the younger one through it too. It is just awful. I think we all believe that. What more can be said? D91

brownie0486
June 27, 2003, 02:00 PM
Stupid is as stupid does in this case.

I feel it was more the dope and booze which brought their mental capacity to a stand still for awhile.

Goes to show you not to play with knives and drink/drug.

Same rule we all know about guns and booze/drugs, people get killed.

There were many errors which led to the end result of a death.

I suppose in reality that I've also done some crazy/weird things in my younger days as well. "There but for the grace of god go I".

Brownie

dragonesse91
June 27, 2003, 04:36 PM
H Brownie: Agree! D91

If you enjoyed reading about "Man dies in body armor accident" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!