How to tell if Microgroove or Ballard?

PDA

.45&TKD
June 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
Is there an easy way to tell if a Marlin barrel has Microgroove rifling or Ballard rifling?
For a Marlin 1894 44 mag in particular?
Would it say "Microgroove" on the barrel?

The Marlin 1894 44 mag barrel I'm looking at does not say "Microgrove", but it does have an "M" at the base of the barrel, left side, by the reciever.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to tell if Microgroove or Ballard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chuck Dye
June 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
Ballard rifling is deep cut, six groove and visibly different from Microgroove's fine cut, 12 grooves.

Marlin's website (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894Centerfire/1894.aspx) says the .44 magnum 1894 has Ballard rifling.

.45&TKD
June 16, 2007, 03:37 PM
Huck,

The one I'm looking at does not look deep, but without a side by side comparison, it's hard to tell. Anything else to look for?

.45&TKD
June 16, 2007, 03:45 PM
Marlin's website says the .44 magnum 1894 has Ballard rifling.

Huck,

I know, but the website also says the 1894 has a "Checkered Walnut Stock". I'm looking at a Big 5 1894 that is not in the catalogue, with uncheckered hardwood (not walnut), and I'm wondering if they skimped on the rifling, as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to tell if Microgroove or Ballard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!