League of Extraordinary Gent.

PDA

Cosmoline
June 24, 2003, 09:27 PM
I usually hate sillywood's comic book movies, from Batman to Spiderman. But this one doesn't look half bad:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0311429

The stills show SC's character teaching an adult Tom Sawyer (?) how to shoot a nice double rifle (a smaller nitro express?). He's also packing a Webley and a levergun in another shot.

There's hope for any film with a double rifle, a Webley revolver and a levergun.

If you enjoyed reading about "League of Extraordinary Gent." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
June 24, 2003, 10:24 PM
I don't know; has Sean Connery repudiated what he said about Dunblane yet?

Cosmoline
June 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
How's this for a repudiation :D

George Hill
June 25, 2003, 02:21 AM
What did he say?

GSB
June 25, 2003, 09:25 AM
I'm a simple man. Mina Harker looks hot, therefore I will go see.

SDC
June 25, 2003, 10:56 AM
When they turned around and banned all handguns in the UK after Dunblane, he was all in favour of it; in short, as long as HE can use those nasty, evil guns to make a living, it's OK, but we don't dare let the great unwashed have access to a viable means of self-defence.

El Tejon
June 25, 2003, 11:01 AM
SDC, funny how the actors/actresses wave their guns about in their movies, but demand that we in flyover country be disarmed.:rolleyes:

Peta Wilson, yummm.:)

Glock Glockler
June 25, 2003, 11:26 AM
Tejon,

Amen, brother. Amen.

Cosmoline
June 25, 2003, 12:37 PM
but if you're only willing to see films with actors who AREN'T hypocritical toads in real life, you won't be seeing any movies again. They're virtually all beneath contempt, but they're JUST ACTORS, so who cares?

2nd Amendment
June 25, 2003, 01:25 PM
Was Connery not at least neutral, if not pro-gun, before Dunblane? IIRC it seemed that incident changed his attitude which, though I may not agree, I can at least understand. It's better than the knee-jerk uninformed stupidity of most actors.

Penforhire
June 25, 2003, 01:50 PM
If Connery walked-the-walk he would have turned down all those action movies with guns in them (did he make anything else?). He's still one of my all-time fav action stars.

GinSlinger
June 25, 2003, 01:58 PM
I have read Volume I of the LXG comics. Great story, very inteligent writing (full of literary allusions), and good graphics. However, as excited as I am about this movie (it debuts on my birthday--hows that for an omen?) I doubt it will be close to the comics. SC's character (Alan Quatermaine of _King Solomons Mine_) is a opium addict in the book. The invisible man is discovered while some girls ata an all girl school are becoming "divinely" impregnated. All that is probably too dark for the big screen, or maybe that is why the film is not rated.

While I hadn't heard abot Mr Connery's opinions about gun control, I don't think it will change my mind about going to see his movies. He is not a US citizen, and I haven't seen him in an activist role regarding--well anything.

GinSlinger

six 4 sure
July 13, 2003, 03:40 AM
I thought I'd bring this one back.

Went and saw this today. It wasn't too bad, although some here will probably disagree.:) Was set in 1899 and as far as I could tell the guns seemed to be correct for the period. With the big exception of the "new automatic rifles". They did design them in a somewhat believable way. They looked like nasty iron mac 10's and they jammed often.

Tom Sawyer had a pretty sweet looking engraved Winchester 1873.

Anyone else happen to see the movie?

six

Sactown
July 13, 2003, 03:48 AM
I saw it today. It was OK, not the greatest, not the worst. It has your usual Hollyweird gun handling: Tom Sawyer char taking a 500yd shot with a double barreled rifle without lining up the sights (can't obscure the actor's face), chromed and decorated Sten guns (uh, weren't these like built around WW2?), everytime someone picks up a gun it makes that clicking sound like it's being cocked. Best gun of the movie was the gold plated artillery luger. OK entertainment, but not for $9.00. Save your money, buy some more ammo and wait for cable.

ajacobs
July 13, 2003, 08:54 AM
I will take the other side of the argument. I see nothing wrong with an actor making money in a way that contrasts with his politics. That is why they call it acting. And if none did who would play the villians?

JackShandy
July 13, 2003, 09:54 AM
I won't go see the movie for another reason: It looks bad. Case in point, according to some reviews, there is a fairly extensive car chase all through Venice.
When did the Canals of Venice get paved over?

Another thing is the Sub of Capt. Nemo. Apparently when we first see it, it's HUGE; to quote Roger Ebert "the Nautilus, which is about 10 stories high and as long as an aircraft carrier, and which we soon see cruising the canals of Venice."

It'll take more than nice firearms and Peta Wilson to get me to pay full price for a movie ticket.

I highly recommend reading Ebert's review, even if you don't like him. Some of his most entertaining reviews are for the bad movies, and this is one of them.

techmike
July 13, 2003, 10:37 AM
Willing Suspension of Disbelief...o.k. that's four words but you get my meaning. For pete sakes...it's a MOVIE based on a COMIC BOOK( er..uh..Graphic Novel) . Do you really expect realiasm??

It was not realistic in the slightest...It was entertaing and isn't that the point.

I hate to hear about Mr/ Connery's Anti-Gun statements he's always been one of my faves. :confused: :banghead:

keyhole
July 13, 2003, 11:15 AM
After all, it entertainment, right?:confused:

Actors get the "public Eye", so many times what they say, goes against what we feel. But hey, that's what makes this country great, being able to voice your opinion.

But hey, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.:D

( to quote one of my favories, even though I did not always agree with him)

45King
July 13, 2003, 11:58 AM
Back when Linda Ronstadt was dating then Gov. Jerry Brown, someone once interviewed her, and when asked about politics, she made one of the most astute statements I've ever heard any entertainer utter: she said that she would not discuss politics because her celebrity status might have an undue influence on people, and that her status as an entertainer didn't necessarily mean that her opinions on political matters were worth anything. As a contrast, she said that Jerry's status as a politician dating a music celebrity didn't mean his opinions on music were worthwhile; she said he liked some very lame music.

I always did like her music, but after that, I gained a lot of respect for her as a person. Too bad ALL the celebs don't follow her lead.

Razor
July 13, 2003, 02:17 PM
On the commentary track of The Rock Criterion DVD, the SEAL advisor says that Connery told him that he hates guns and water. The SEAL replied with, "Don't tell me that. You're THE reason I became a Navy SEAL."

zastros
July 13, 2003, 04:47 PM
After having worked with actors for 25 years(and being married to one, though luckily she doesn't read this) I can say, with some authority, that the biggest difference between an actor and a lightbulb is that one is bright and useful and the other is an actor.;) [SHE would totally kill me for that]

The movie's OK and worth seeing in a theatre for the bigness (technical term) but go at the cheap times.
zastros

I do seem to recall that Sean Connery was at least a mouthpiece for Scottish Independence.

Ian
July 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
I'm willing to suspend disbelief on things like the Nautilus in Venice, not to mention vampires, immortal and invisible guys, Mongolian factory-castles, and Dr Jekyll doubling in mass without any apparent intake of matter. But the one thing that really bugged me was Sawyer and Quatermains' gun handling. I swear, every time they picked up a gun the first thing they'd do was wrap their finger around the trigger.:cuss:

Overall it was a decent flick. Lots of potential and very impressive visuals, but it could have been done better.

AZTOY
July 13, 2003, 05:14 PM
I want to see a movie about the Punisher:D
http://www.thepunisher.com/opening/romita_splash.gif

seeker_two
July 13, 2003, 05:36 PM
AZTOY: Either find the Dolph Lundgren version in the old tape part of the video store....

Or wait until next summer...:cool:

Kharn
July 13, 2003, 05:54 PM
Seeker_two:
The Dolph Lundgren rendition is out on DVD, my brother has a copy sitting in his DVD rack.

Kharn

Dr.Rob
July 13, 2003, 07:00 PM
Is Tom Sawyer packing New Service Colts?

And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Allan Quartermain an American?

It's a movie.

Next thing you know you guys will be complaining that Johnny Depp's Queen Anne pistol isn't "period".

:neener: :neener: :neener:

Oh and PS look for a new Punisher film soon featuring my former Tattooed food Critic and pro wrestler "The Reverend" Bobby Black

MarineTech
July 13, 2003, 07:57 PM
Here's the IMDB listing for the new Punisher movie.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0330793

Here's the "Comics to Film" listing for it:

http://www.comics2film.com/ProjectFrame.php?f_id=154

I don't see any mention of Bobby Black in either of them. What's your source?

hksw
July 13, 2003, 08:08 PM
Politically Incorrect
http://www.petawilsonsite.com/art18.html

Peta: I work with them every day.
I hold them.
I play with them.
And I think that they're terribly evil and for people who don't have big xxxx.
That's what I think.

[ Cheers ]

I'm sorry.
That's how I feel.
I'm sorry.
I just think that guns -- I understand that we survived without guns and we had guns and there were many wars and many people died.
And I think that guns are very dangerous.
And I think they should be in the hands of the law and in the hands soldiers.

seeker_two
July 13, 2003, 11:04 PM
Read the PI transcript...

Peta really IS a blonde...

And if she doesn't believe people are hunted, ask some crime victims...

Stupid people...:barf:

Crimper-D
July 13, 2003, 11:23 PM
SHE is a HOTTIE! :D
The Guys are just actors... Who CARES what (or IF) they think.:p
The Guns are neat, the shooting is delusional, the plot is ludecrous(sp?) - but I'll watch it again! = Mina Harper is worth the grief (& the guns ARE neat!):D :neener: :D

zastros
July 14, 2003, 01:16 AM
Dr. Rob, Allen Quartemain, the creation of H. Rider Haggard, was an Englishman in Africa. He was THE prototypical "Great White Hunter" and was featured in at least 4 novels that I can find. The books are great reads, very exciting, and I was surprised by the very positive ways that the Africans were treated in the books. Haggard, while very much pro-British empire, was unhappy at the results of european incursion into African culture. He was quite enamored of the Zulu people and wrote quite a lot about them also.

His 3 most famous books are:
SHE (Who Must Be Obeyed)
Allen Quartermain
King Solomon's Mines [which he wrote on a bet. He had read 'Treasure Island' and bet his brother 5 shillings that he could write a better one. Six weeks later he was finished. Personally, it's a tossup as to whether he succeeded or not. It's that good.]

Here's more of a bio if my book report wasn't sufficient
http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/haggard.htm

zastros

lycanthrope
July 14, 2003, 01:33 AM
The movie was entertaining and never tried to be realistic. Sean does movies for the cash. He admits that he hated Bond Girls as they were "B%$#@!s. Peta was finer than froghairs. Some shooting was a bit unrealistic.....but, hey, Robby Leatham's abilities are mostly unrealistic for the majority of us, too. End of story.

When you get lots of money and live in a great neighborhood with fences and security all of a sudden you get altruistic and think everyone is all lovey inside. You also think you are educated enough and high enough on Maslow's ladder to judge society and make poltical decisions. God help us all.

I have one statement. "Least common denominator". Society is only as good as its average person or least common denominator. Anyone who thinks the media or politicians represent a true cross section of real America is truly delusional. IMHO.

Until the masses get organized and vote (and put off worrying about making a livng or taking care of their kids or whats on sale at Wal Mart) this trend will continue.
Easier said than done.

Part of me wants to tell Peta that I have big guns AND a xxxxxx and that my middle class neigborhood generally stands between her house and the rest of the real world......but....really, she wouldn't understand. That's OK. I'm still cocked and locked.

zastros
July 14, 2003, 02:23 AM
"Part of me wants to tell Peta that I have big guns AND xxxxx and that my middle class neigborhood generally stands between her house and the rest of the real world......but....really, she wouldn't understand. That's OK. I'm still cocked and locked."

Ironic turn of phrase;)

zastros

Dr.Rob
July 14, 2003, 05:47 PM
Let's watch the language folks! (last TWO posts edited for language)

I've read H.Ryder Haggard, for some reason I've confused him with Hemingway or something. Americans vs. Brits.

I still want to see the film.

seeker_two
July 14, 2003, 06:32 PM
Interesting that a doctor--of all people--would consider xxxxx offensive...:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "League of Extraordinary Gent." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!