I just bought my first gun!

PDA

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:22 PM
I went to a gun show with my friend who is all crazy about exercising his constitutional rights, so he has a ton of guns and knows a lot about them.

So I found this Soviet Mosin-Nagant M91/30 rifle for sale at $85. I certainly wasn't expecting to buy a gun, but I thought this was a really cool piece of history, so I bought it.

It came with the bayonette and an ammo pouch which has a cleaning kit and this thing of oil that is in a plastic bag because it is leaking everywhere.

So when I got home, I looked up the manual for this thing online, and I followed the instructions to take it apart. I then put it back together again, and put some of that nasty oil stuff on the moving parts.

So is there anything I should know about this particular gun? It took me forever to take it apart, and putting it back together was a pain. I doubt I'll ever fire it... I don't even have any bullets!

If you enjoyed reading about "I just bought my first gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMcfpd
June 17, 2007, 09:25 PM
...I don't even have any bullets!

That can be remedied - see the same friend you went to the show with, he'll probably help you out.

ETA - Congrats!

Hoppy590
June 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
you will find most of us here are "all crazy about exercising his constitutional rights"
you gotta fire it!, ammo is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. ammo your looking for is 7.62X54R. any gun shop worth its weight in spent primers will have some surplus
mosins are an addictive piece of history

look on the top of the reciever. is it round like a pipe or hexagonal. whats the year. whats the arsenal mark ( triangle with arrow or star with arrow)

SaMx
June 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
ammo is cheap, there is lots of old surplus ammo, but it's corrosive. Go shoot it, it's a lot of fun!

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
The receiver seems to be round... And it's a triangle with an arrow, and 1942.

I don't think I would WANT to fire it because it would probably kill me. It if didn't blow up in my face, it would probably break my shoulder or detatch my retina :-/

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
That "nasty oil stuff" is cosmoline; not a good idea to smother it all over the moving parts. Go out and buy some BreakFree CLP; it's about $10 for a large aerosol can. Scrub that gun till most of the cosmoline is off, then spray some CLP on the bolt and in the receiver. Another good investment is a bore snake; they're made by Hoppes and cost about $10, and are machine washable. You just drop the weighted end through the action and down the barrel, then pull the rest of it through, and presto, you have a clean bore.

As for ammunition, pick up some 7.62x54R (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x54R.html) at Aimsurplus for cheap, at least so you can say you can use your rifle if need-be. Having a rifle with no ammo is like having a chainsaw with no chain! :)

So in summary, for about $60, you can have 300 rounds of ammo, a real cleaning/lubricant agent, and a boresnake. That's pretty much all you need to keep that Mosin in tip-top shape, whether you plan on shooting it often or not.

edit; as far as shooting it, the first time out on the range, you just have to remember to keep the stock held FIRMLY against your shoulder, as you squeeze the trigger. The recoil of a Mosin is stiff, but the most you'll have is a sore shoulder if you fire more than a dozen rounds. You get used to it, quickly. :)

Also, if you decide to go shooting, PLEASE REMEMBER EAR PROTECTION! Your shoulder might not break, but your eardrums will, if you don't have muffs or earplugs. :( Wearing shatter-proof glasses is a good idea too.

Outlaws
June 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
... I don't even have any bullets!

Then let me be the first to remind you that it is still always loaded. Its the "unloaded" guns that always seem to get involved in accidents.

;)

Go to a gun shop and buy some ammo. Clean after shooting since its corrosive. And here is a good website with lots of info on it.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp

Baba Louie
June 17, 2007, 09:32 PM
Welcome to THR and the wonderful world of things that go bang.

Before you go shoot it, learn the 4 rules of firearm safety. Buy ear and eye safety equipment. Ask your friend to teach you sight alignment using a .22 lr rifle first (no recoil).

THEN... buy some ammo for that bad boy and put a few rounds downrange. Clean it afterwards. Repeat often.

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:35 PM
Is there any way to get like... dummy bullets that don't fire so that I can load them in and see how it all works?

And how did soldiers in World War II fire comfortably without ear protection?

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
Dummy cartridges you're looking for are called "snap caps." They're used for dry firing practice, and can be picked up or ordered at most gun shops.

BTW, don't worry about the gun blowing up in your face. So long as you make sure the barrel is free from obstructions before firing, you stand a better chance of being struck by lightning than the gun blowing up on you. Mosins are built to take it. :)

Outlaws
June 17, 2007, 09:39 PM
And how did soldiers in World War II fire comfortably without ear protection?

I doubt there was anything comfortable about WW2. Hollywood also fails to show how ear drums would be shattered with some of the heavier guns that movies routinely show people standing near without ear protection. Blackhawk Down is the only movie I can think of where someone looses their hearing from a firearm.

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
That sucks! It amazes me too how easily I was able to get this thing. I just wrote some basic info down, said "yes" to one question and "no" to all the others, and they just let me walk out with this gun!

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
That's what makes this country great. :)

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
Does most of the loud noise come from the part of the rifle with the bolt, or from the end of the barrel? It seems like it would come from the part where the bullet is actually ignited, but then silencers wouldn't make sense!

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 09:47 PM
It's called the "muzzle report" for a reason; yes, probably 99% of the noise comes from the end of the barrel.

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
Well, at least the end of the barrel is like... four feet away from my ears, then!

ZeSpectre
June 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the world of firearms.
If you plan on firing this gun MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE IT'S CLEAN. If you don't know how to make sure then contact your friend because cosmoline or other obstructions in the barrel would be BAD!

Ear protection- a must have
Eye protection- a must have

also
ammo is cheap, there is lots of old surplus ammo, but it's corrosive. Go shoot it, it's a lot of fun!

c'mon guys, he's new. You have to let him know what "corrosive" ammo is and HOW to clean it up. :neener:

Cleaning Corrosive Ammunition (http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp)

The above link should help ya.

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
Ahhhhhh! I have to completely disassemble the bolt again?!?! Ugh. My hand is like... cut up from doing that. And I was worried that the firing pin was just going to snap right off since I had to press down on it vertically with like thirty pounds of force...

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 09:52 PM
It's easy. If you want, I'll make a little video for you on how to do it. :)

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 09:54 PM
Are any of the parts that the rifle came with useful for cleaning it? It has this like... built-in cleaning rod that screws in right under the barrel, and It also has a bunch of strange metal tools whose function is not obvious from their appearance.

Hoppy590
June 17, 2007, 09:56 PM
That sucks! It amazes me too how easily I was able to get this thing. I just wrote some basic info down, said "yes" to one question and "no" to all the others, and they just let me walk out with this gun!

a gun is an object
a toaster is an object

a gun requires background checks and government forms
a toaster does not.

whats so easy about it? :p

Hoppy590
June 17, 2007, 09:59 PM
the strange metal tool is a bolt tool. you will find that it works as a screw driver on one end. and a wrench on the other. the wrench is for turning the firing pin. the cuts on the side are for measuring firing pin protrusion. dont worry about that last one, get the basics first
http://www.7.62x54r.com/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.shadowflareindustries.com/vids/mosinbolt.avi

under 30 seconds, and no cuts or bruises! :)

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
Wow, dude.

Also, how do I de-cock the gun once I've rotated the bolt so that it's ready to fire?

General Geoff
June 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
for what it's worth, that was my first and only take for the video. I haven't completely disassembled the bolt of my Mosin in over a year; if I'd been practicing more, the firing pin disassembly portion would've been smoother and taken less time. :)

edit; to decock the bolt, you have to pull the trigger. If you want to put less stress on the gun, grasp the crown at the rear of the bolt very firmly and pull back while pulling the trigger; this will allow you to "ease" the bolt into the decocked position.

Outlaws
June 17, 2007, 10:09 PM
Also, how do I de-cock the gun once I've rotated the bolt so that it's ready to fire?

Most bolt actions decock if you hold the trigger while closing the bolt.

pax
June 17, 2007, 10:11 PM
Congratulations. :)

Someone referred to the safety rules up above. Here's a link to a page which explains basic firearms safety and the "Four Rules." http://www.corneredcat.com/Safety/fourrules.aspx

pax

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
Is that how they had to do it? There's no way to "safely" de-cock it? Like what if the Soviet soldiers were going to sleep? They wouldn't want to have their rifles cocked, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to have to do the pulling-back-on-the-bolt thing and pull the trigger since it could easily fire.

Also, I've noticed that the bolt lever on my rifle is kind of loose... Like it sort of wiggles a bit up and down when it's closed.

Outlaws
June 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
Is that how they had to do it? There's no way to "safely" de-cock it? Like what if the Soviet soldiers were going to sleep? They wouldn't want to have their rifles cocked, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to have to do the pulling-back-on-the-bolt thing and pull the trigger since it could easily fire.

Unload it, then decock it. I wouldn't unload or uncock a rifle in battle. Cock and lock 24/7. I am not a Mosin guy...do they not have a safety?

Praetorius
June 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
Not one that I know about!

AndyC
June 17, 2007, 10:25 PM
I then put it back together again, and put some of that nasty oil stuff on the moving parts.
First, congratulations on your first firearm - I hope you have a lot of enjoyment with it, and please be safe.

Second - I predict that "that nasty oil stuff" will eventually become one of your favourite scents ;)

Hoppy590
June 17, 2007, 10:48 PM
the "safety" on a mosin is to pull back the cocking piece, and rotate counter clockwise, and let it rest on the rear reciever
none too convienant

Praetorius
June 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
Can you elaborate on that, Hoppy590? I can't seem to get it to do that.

Hoppy590
June 18, 2007, 01:06 AM
the round knob on the back. you pull on that. pretty hard then rotate to the left, maybe 45 degrees. not far at all. then let it down. it can be REAL hard to pull back.
safety off http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/graphics/l/s3.jpg
safety on http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/graphics/l/s2.jpg

Praetorius
June 18, 2007, 01:16 AM
Does dry firing the rifle hurt it at all? People are telling me that like... dry fire is terrible.

Outlaws
June 18, 2007, 01:24 AM
A few here and there shouldn't harm it, but its old. Snap caps are like what...$10?

Kaylee
June 18, 2007, 01:35 AM
Cool - congratulations!

Sure enough, there's some history in that wood and metal. Here's a little reading you might enjoy -

"Why Guns?" by Tamara -
...It's the same with these old rifles; each one is a history lesson, an invitation to a treasure hunt, a physical link to a long-gone time and a far-off place.
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2006/04/why-guns-part-i.html

and the ever-classic "Wood and Metal" -
It is a rare person who does not attach some sort of value or emotion to some physical object or to an event. A home becomes more than a building. A statue of the Virgin Mary, a crucifix, a flag or a song, or even a photograph can stir emotions greater than the value of the material item...
http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Metal_and_Wood.html

Good reading.

Welcome to a new and fascinating world. :D

Hoppy590
June 18, 2007, 01:53 AM
Does dry firing the rifle hurt it at all? People are telling me that like... dry fire is terrible.

the claim that dry firing hurts guns is based mostly on rimfire guns. in this case the firing pin can strike the chamber wall and cause damage to the rather small pin

a Mosin Nagant is not a rimfire rifle. and its pin is pretty beefy commie steel.. dry firing should be fine. though the best way to decock is still either by hand, or holding the trigger as you close the bolt. remember though. CHECK THE CHAMBER!

dstorm1911
June 18, 2007, 09:43 AM
here is your number 1 resource for all info on the Mosin nagant pattern rifles

http://7.62x54r.net

The guy who runs the site has accumulted around 5000 of the various models, countries and variations

Another Mosin intensive site is

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1

everything ya might ever want to know bout the gun and the caliber etc..

tinygnat219
June 18, 2007, 10:35 AM
Praetorius,

The Mosin Nagant 91/30 is a good choice, as it's one of the simpler and more forgiving rifles out there. Remember, these were often given to peasants who had never seen a firearm before, and Russian arms are HUGE on simplicity.

Get that Cosmoline gunk out of the bolt, it'll do nothing but make you curse a little later on. The bolt should also have a light coating of oil on it, but nothing more.

Everything else has pretty much been said. Just be sure to bring earplugs and a thick shirt when you fire it and bring a good sized towel to wipe the grin off of your face after you fire it.

azhunter12
June 18, 2007, 11:19 AM
Now you have to get some ammo, a good cleaning kit and brushes, and an m38 and a m44 to go with your 91/30.

If you enjoyed reading about "I just bought my first gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!