Building an anti-Anti-gun logical comeback list. Please contribute

PDA

ancient_philosophy
June 18, 2007, 01:00 AM
please assist with pity 'one-liners' , i am building a list....here are a few ive used well in the past:::

"well, owning/carrying gun means your afraid...." (ive encountered this one often)

.Reply:..."that doesnt follow, ...since you have a fire-extinguisher in your house, this must prove you have an unreasonable fear of fires"

Reply: "by that logic, forks cause obesity"

a Lethal Force encouter takes on average, 2 mins from start to end.

a 911 call, takes on average 16 mins. to respond.

now........Ask me again why i carry a gun.

Reply: why do you wear a seatbelt? you plan on having a crash?"

( i have many more) ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Building an anti-Anti-gun logical comeback list. Please contribute" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DontBurnMyFlag
June 18, 2007, 08:04 AM
I like this.

However, some people are going to need more than clever one liners to see our side of the story. Just be prepared to back them up, either with facts, statistics or just a general conversation explaining your beliefs.

I like to call people out on their ignorance.

examples are fuzzy at the moment

PILMAN
June 18, 2007, 09:46 AM
I always get the typical

"Does that mean everyone should have nukes?"

"Should school kids be armed?"

"Are you compensating for a small penis?" (Get this a lot, what the heck does this have to do with guns?)

"Everything in life is a priviledge including firearms"

"Where do you think criminals get firearms? They steal them from people therefore people are the suppliers and the problem, duh"

"Europe banned guns and their murder rate is lower than Americas"

"We should have a licensing system in place like cars, that would stop incompetent people from causing further damage"

"Why do you need a 30 round clip?!" (I hate the term clip)

"Why would you need an AK47 and an uzi for hunting?"

"You are nothing more than a right wing, church going inbred redneck who probably drives a pick up truck and has a shotgun rack" (Funny as I was born in the north, rather agnostic, and drive a import.)

"Yes everyone being armed is a good thing, that's why Africa is a hell hole"

"Everyone should be required to take a test and be trained to show proficiency in firearms, there are too many idiots running around with guns" (Get this one almost all the time)

etc. etc.

jlbraun
June 18, 2007, 10:01 AM
Here is a short one I have seen.

Gun control FAQ:
1. What is the difference between full-automatic and semi-automatic? Is there one?
2. Are machine guns legal to own in the United States? Can they be easily bought over the counter?
3. How many legally owned machineguns have been used in a crime by civilians since 1934, when they were restricted by Federal law?
4. What percentage of American homes have firearms in them? a)10% b)25% c)45%
5. Is there any such thing as a 45mm handgun?
6. Is the crime rate by concealed carry holders greater or lesser than the general population?
7. Are there a greater or lesser number of crimes committed with firearms than defensive uses of firearms?
8. What did the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban actually ban?
9. What is the average income of a gun owner? a)$20K b) $30K c) $50K
10. Are you more or less likely to be injured a) resisting a violent assault with a firearm or b) resisting a violent assault without a firearm c) not resisting at all?
11. If you are a male citizen of the US, between the ages of 17 and 45, and not in the National Guard or other armed forces, are you in the militia according to the United States Code?
12. Thousands of children 0-14 die in gun accidents every year, true or false?
13. What is the ratio between homicides and democides (killed by your own government) in the 20th Century?
14. What is the correlation between restricting firearms and the violent crime rate on a state-by-state basis?
15. Which group shoots a bystander more often in a defensive shooting - concealed carry permit holders or cops?
16. How many guns do private American citizens own? How many guns does the military own?
17. What percentage of murders are committed with a semi-automatic rifle with a protruding handgrip?
18. What percentage of gun owners are not hunters?
19. What does a police department pay for a fully automatic weapon? What does a citizen have to pay for the same weapon because the government banned new ones in 1986?
20. How many Democrats lost their seats in Congress because of the Assault Weapons Ban?

ANSWERS:
1. Full-auto fires continuously, semi-auto fires one shot with each pull of the trigger.
2. Yes, they're legal. No, you can't buy one without an EXTENSIVE federal background check.
3. Through combing newspaper archives, it has been found that exactly one (1) of the 500,000 citizen-owned machineguns have been used in a crime by a citizen since 1934, when they were first regulated. No legally owned silencer, howitzer, or grenade has ever been used in a crime.
4. C, 45%.
5. No, but a lot of journalists get this one wrong. 45mm is in anti-tank weapon territory.
6. CCW holders are 20 times less likely to be arrested for any crime (source: Texas DOJ).
7. There are 20x more defensive uses than criminal uses (source: US DOJ).
8. It banned magazine capacities over ten rounds, and certain cosmetic features of military-style rifles. If you think it had something to do with banning machineguns, you've been duped - badly.
9. C, $50K. The average education level of gunowners is a Bachelor's degree. (source: NRA-ILA survey).
10. From most to least likely, b, c, a. You are least likely to be injured while resisting with a firearm (source: UK Home Office).
11. Unequivocally. If you meet these criteria, you are in the militia BY LAW under USC 10 Sec. 311. Therefore, you're in a "well-regulated" militia.
12. False. Accidental death by firearm accounted for 72 accidental deaths of 0-14 year olds in 2001 in the entire USA. (source: CDC)
13. The instance of democide is 200 times greater than that of homicide. (source: U. Of Hawaii study, "Power Kills")
14. The correlation is zero. Firearms restrictions do not impact the violent crime rate in any way. (source: Brady Campaign to Reduce Handgun Violence, USDOJ violent crime rates comparison)
15. Concealed carry holders shoot the wrong person 2% of the time. Cops shoot the wrong person more than five times as often - 11% of the time. (source: Kleck study)
16. Private US citizens own 300 million guns. The US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, and the National Guard combined own only 3 million guns. (UN Small Arms Survey)
17. Less than 0.25% of murders involve an "assault weapon". (Source: Uniform Crime Report)
18. Over 80% of gun owners don't hunt. (source: NRA survey)
19. A police department can buy a fully automatic M16 from the government for $500. Because mere citizens cannot buy any machinegun made after 1986, a transferrable M16 is $15,000, a government-induced increase of 3,000%.
20. "The fights I fought... cost a lot --the fight for the assault-weapons ban cost 20 members their seats in Congress." --William Jefferson Clinton

Deanimator
June 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
"why do you carry a gun, you planning on killing someone?"
Me - "Why? Are you planning to do something that would make it a good idea for me to kill you?"

That reminds me of the woman hating Brit who once said to me in usenet, "Women shouldn't be allowed to carry guns because I might be mistaken for a rapist and shot!"

Me - "How is it that you conduct yourself around women that you'd be likely to be 'mistaken' for a rapist? My advice to you is to put down that butcher knife, pull up your pants and go home."

Archangel
June 18, 2007, 10:14 AM
"Should school kids be armed?"
No, but their teachers should be.

"Are you compensating for a small penis?"
I forget who it was, but someone on THR awhile back responded to this with "Hell yes, I'm compensating. If I could kill something at 500 yards with my penis, I wouldn't need a gun."

"Everything in life is a priviledge including firearms"
I thought it was a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Priviledges.

"Where do you think criminals get firearms? They steal them from people therefore people are the suppliers and the problem, duh"
So let's ban cars. That will stop car theft.

Wow, how many lies can you get in one sentance?

"We should have a licensing system in place like cars, that would stop incompetent people from causing further damage"
Ok, so if I get a license to carry a gun, it will be honored by every state. Every state must issue you a license if you meet the requirements. Anyone, any age, can buy as many as they want, and can use them on private property, no license required. Just like cars. I like it.

"Why do you need a 30 round clip?!"
Why do you need a 30 gig iPod?

"Why would you need an AK47 and an uzi for hunting?"
Who says I'm hunting?

"You are nothing more than a right wing, church going inbred redneck who probably drives a pick up truck and has a shotgun rack"
<response not high road>

"Yes everyone being armed is a good thing, that's why Africa is a hell hole"
Yeah, right, everyone is africa is armed. That's how they could kill a half million people with machetes.

"Everyone should be required to take a test and be trained to show proficiency in firearms, there are too many idiots running around with guns"
I agree. Everyone should be trained in proficiency with firearms.

Double Naught Spy
June 18, 2007, 10:33 AM
The problem with trying to debate with somebody diametrically opposed to your views on a hot topic such as guns is that neither side recognizes the same logic values as the other side and so what is perceived as logic and being logical by one group is not viewed in the same manner as the opposing group. The differences really come down to an almost religious fervor.

Based on other threads that have include anti-gun retorts, what we pro-gun folks see as clear cut and clever insight is often perceived by the anti-gun people as ignorance and stupidity and vice versa.

The logical comebacks work for us because we believe them to be true just like the antis' logical comebacks work for them.
-----

Number 9 above was interesting. So the NRA found that the "average" gun owner is better educated and has a higher income than the rest of America? Based on that survey, gun owners earn more as individuals than the national household income and considerably more than the national income for individuals. The education difference is fairly amazing as well. Me thinks their survey is likely biased.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_Joe

arjppj
June 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
Q. "Why do you carry a gun?" A. "Why do you wear a seatbelt(asside from it being the law)? In case you need one?"
Q. "Why do you carry a gun?" A. "Do you see any cops around here to protect me?"
Q. "Why do you need 30 guns?" A. "Because zombies are coming faster than I can reload one gun 29 times"---always liked saying this one!
Q. "Why shouldn't we register guns?" A. "Well that is what they did in the late 30's and 40's in Europe, look what happened to those people."

wacki
June 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
Anti: Lots of children die in gun accidents
Response: Even more children (under 5) die in one gallon buckets of water

Anti: I don't want a gun in my house near my kids
Response: Do you have a swimming pool? That's 100x more likely to kill your kids.

ZeSpectre
June 18, 2007, 10:55 AM
This sort of thing was already started.
Verbal Tactics_Pithy responses to Anti remarks (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282793)

Mods, maybe we should merge the threads?

mbt2001
June 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
Liberals for some reason when it comes to guns, the HUMAN element is not blamed, but the gun is. This shouldn't surprise anyone when they look at liberal ideology. These same peope do not blame criminals for crime, poor people for poverty or anyone for their vices. All vices are diseases and we are just victims etc....

Deanimator
June 18, 2007, 11:06 AM
the HUMAN element is not blamed, but the gun is
I ask such people if they worship rocks and trees. When they ask why, I just tell them that people who attribute agency to inanimate objects tend to be primitive animists who engage in such practices...

applesanity
June 18, 2007, 12:45 PM
The anti-gun argument is about 80% emotion and 20% bad logic. There's no way you can counter with 100% valid, sound logic. The only real way to win is to remove the emotional, mostly fear-based element.

Take an anti to the range, let that anti pop off a couple hundred rounds, and don't be surprised by the grin on his/ her face afterwards.

JohnL2
June 18, 2007, 12:54 PM

No, I'd say "Because there are a lot of crazy unscrupulous people out there and no matter how many laws you have they will obtain guns. That is why I carry a gun so that I can shoot and kill them if they try to harm me and even the likes of you."

ancient_philosophy
June 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
"i dont believe in murdering someone".

Reply: 'neither do i, I believe in killing murderers who are unjustly out to take my life"
_______
"I'll never own/touch a gun."

Reply:: "Good, post that outside your house, its the best invitation for criminals/ burglers"
--------"Thats right, contrary to all the Cowboy movies, there was almost no gun voilence in the 'wild west', because everyone knew that everyone else had a gun....it was the 'wild west' because it was untamed territory and full of Indians"
"people shouldnt be able to get/buy guns"
----"people shouldnt be murdered by criminals, robbed, raped..either,...this is why i carry a gun"
"I don't believe people should own guns"
----"i dont believe in criminals that arent in jail"
"They should ban guns"
------"they should ban all criminals from existing, until they can, i will carry a gun".

Titan6
June 18, 2007, 01:45 PM
The High Road

ancient_philosophy
June 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
"the USA should be gun free"
------"VA Tech was a GUN-FREE-ZONE, which is why so many died, none were able to defend themselves"
_________
-------"Yes, my penis isnt large enough or long enough to club criminals" :scrutiny:
------"not true, only a small number of countries banned citizen ownership of guns....the worst being England, and its gun-crimes are on the rise"

yhtomit
June 18, 2007, 03:49 PM

could be even more parallel like this:

Reply: why do you wear a seatbelt? you plan on causing a crash?"

timothy

TallPine
June 18, 2007, 04:11 PM
Q: "Why do you carry a gun, you planning on killing someone?"

A: "Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."

;)

DRZinn
June 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
Sorry - wrong thread.

jselvy
June 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
Always draw to Firefly, Tall Pine

Jefferson

PILMAN
June 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
Seriously, I wonder where the anti gunners get this garbage especially the "Compensating for a small penis" comment? Me wonders if the million mom march has been opening their dirty mouths again. Seems to be constantly brought up in debates. What does penis length have to do with a gun considering they are two different things? I've heard the comment when it comes to big trucks but to guns? Sounds pretty rediculous. Apparently protecting your family isn't as important as complaining about penis size to these idiots.

rickomatic
June 18, 2007, 09:40 PM

Here...you decide.

SaMx
June 18, 2007, 09:57 PM
"Are you compensating for a small penis?" (Get this a lot, what the heck does this have to do with guns?)
that one is easy to hit back at
"why would you say that, do you think your penis is a weapon?"
it puts them on the defensive. Clearly they're some kind of rapist or something.

benelli12
June 19, 2007, 12:31 AM
lamb: "I will pray for you"

me: "cool, I'll just shoot a bunch of Sh*t for you;)"

Autolycus
June 19, 2007, 12:37 AM
Remember if your going to respond with statistics of any sort you should have a citation for them and a source to prove them. Otherwise you are no better than the person you are debating with.

Autolycus
June 19, 2007, 12:42 AM
The small penis argument is that many American males feel inadequate sexually. And that they feel that if they have some other way of showing their male virility such as a nice car or a big gun they will feel better about themselves.

I would say it is an argument recognized by the gun community when they start to feel that a gun is a sort of talisman that will prevent them from being victims. Similar to when an anti-gun person says to call the police and a pro-gun person calls them sheeple or some other nonsense. Basically both groups are implying the other is not "manly" enough to handle being a victim or that they need something (in this case a gun) to make them feel better about themselves.

tmajors
June 19, 2007, 12:45 AM
"Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."

Way to insert a Princess Bride quote :)

littledoc
June 19, 2007, 12:56 AM
"Why do you carry a gun, you planning on killing someone?"

"No, but I just might have to save someone."

eric_t12
June 19, 2007, 02:08 AM
i got this one

"when have guns ever been used to save someone?"

all i could muster was

"Are...
You...
Serious...?"

mike101
June 19, 2007, 07:29 AM
"Are you compensating for a small penis?" (Get this a lot, what the heck does this have to do with guns?)"

Pilman, have you been hanging around with those Huffington children again? Your father and I told you you're not allowed to play with those potty-mouthed kids. You're grounded for 2 weeks. Now, go to your room and think about what you've done. :D

jselvy
June 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
How about
"What part of Shall Not Be Infringed do you not understand?"

Jefferson

Ranb
June 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
A guy who expressed concern that I own and shoot 50 caliber rifles; thought I might do him some harm. I asked, "What do you plan on doing to me that makes you think I would shoot you with my 50 caliber rifle?" He did not have any answer to that. :)

Ranb

eric_t12
June 23, 2007, 04:09 AM
What if the criminal steals your gun?

It'll already be out of ammo.

mbs357
June 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
If a person asks you if you're planning to kill someone...that implies that you are violent and dangerous.
Don't just ask "You have a seatbelt, planning on getting into an accident?" which implies innocence.
Ask, "You have a seatbelt, planning on running over/ramming people?"

skinnyguy
June 23, 2007, 03:17 PM
"I think the police are the only people that need guns"

Tell that to the crook that's trying to shoot you, I'm sure he'll agree and give up. Oh yeah, where are the police when you're telling the crook that?

ancient_philosophy
June 24, 2007, 09:02 PM
was talking with a miserable anti-gun chick yesterday.....she said........"people dont need guns when there are plenty of police around"....

heh :D

i told her......... "When your on your back being raped by a big brute, just tell him,..'hold on while i call 911'...." :scrutiny:

she shut the heck up immediately.

Crunker1337
June 25, 2007, 12:49 AM
"Only police should have guns."
In a police state.

"Guns are an impetus to violence."
Food is an impetus to obesity.

"Are you going to shoot me?"
What are you doing that would give me a reason to shoot you?

"Why do you need X number of guns?"
Why is it your business?

"Why do you need to carry a gun?"
My safety as well as yours.

"Does that mean everyone should have nukes?"
They're not defensive devices. Irrelevant.

I assure you, none of my barrels are ported!

"Everything in life is a privilege including firearms."
What have I done to be illegible to enjoy this privilege?

"Europe banned guns and their murder rate is lower than Americas."
Even if that's true, what works for them does not necesarily work for us. America != Europe; something we forced everyone to realize in 1776.

"We should have a licensing system in place like cars, that would stop incompetent people from causing further damage."
When has the lack of a license prevented someone with a car from driving?

For when they just don't get the hint the first time(s).

"Why would you need an AK47 and an Uzi for hunting?"
For terrorist and criminal hunting.

"You are nothing more than a right wing, church going inbred redneck who probably drives a pick up truck and has a shotgun rack."
I guess you're a very prejudiced person then.

"Yes everyone being armed is a good thing, that's why Africa is a hell hole."
In Africa, only the privileged are armed... police, the rich, and those with good sense. Anyway, Africa != America.

"Everyone should be required to take a test and be trained to show proficiency in firearms, there are too many idiots running around with guns."
Why should something I do on private land, with private property be the business of the government?

skinnyguy
June 25, 2007, 01:12 AM
"Everyone should be required to take a test and be trained to show proficiency in firearms, there are too many idiots running around with guns."
You are absolutely correct, so when are you going to be tested, you DID say everyone.

"You are nothing more than a right wing, church going inbred redneck who probably drives a pick up truck and has a shotgun rack."
(my personal reply)I don't go to church, and I'm not a redneck, I'm a backwards-a$$-country-f**k.

No, it's actually the opposite.

"What are you so afraid of that makes you want to carry a gun?"
Death, dismemberment, getting knifed, rape of either me or my daughters. Is that enough?
or I don't need to be afraid to dislike having MY right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness infringed.

June 26, 2007, 01:11 AM
I am getting into title 2 fire arms now and I hear people say:
Why do you need a sawed off shot gun?
or
Why do you need a supressor, do you plan on killing some one?
or
Why do you need a supressor?

gunsmith
June 26, 2007, 05:32 AM
have you ever read a newspaper? why do you need to do that?
why do you need a Bible/ a Torah/ a Quran?

Crunker1337
June 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
"Why do you need a sawed off shot gun?"
Longer barrels are unwieldy, especially in tight quarters.

"Why do you need a supressor, do you plan on killing some one?"
If I planned to kill someone, I guarantee you that I could figure out MANY ways to do it without a gun, much less a suppressed gun.

Why do you need a supressor?
Not everyone wears hearing protection, and firearms are rather loud and distracting. Think of it as a public courtesy.

June 26, 2007, 08:32 PM
"Think of it as a public courtesy"

That is one way I like to put it but the anti's don't buy it. And thats if I can even convince them that supperssors are legal to own. If we are at work I can all ways pull a ATF form 1 or form 4 out of my locker and show them the appication.

"Longer barrels are unwieldy, especially in tight quarters"

I have used that too, but dismembering a bad guy in my house with a 12ga is a little hard to stomach for most of the anti's.
I like to stick with: because I can, or because there cool or because I want to be the first kid on my block to have one. My newest one, if it does get stolen the guy will most likely will be hunted down by the ATF and go to federal prision for years and not a county jail for weeks for if they had just stolen a regular gun.

My favroit
Them: "what are you going to do with that"
Me: "what ever they h3ll I want"

Another one, kind of an insult.
Them: "so if I started kicking you @$$ would you shoot me?"
Me, 6' 2'' 200 lean pounds: "I wouldn't need a gun to ____ __ (not the high road) ____"
Most of the anti's I deal with are kind of meak.

BBQJOE
June 26, 2007, 08:59 PM
"Why do you carry a gun?"
It's a tool, think of it as a long distance hammer.

Mot45acp
June 26, 2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks to the word smiths. Many responses are printed out for future reference. I am not so eloquent (sp?)

sm
June 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
[logical + anti gun = oxymoron ]

Just the same I have replied :italics

"I will call the police for protection"
You just said you carry condoms in case you are sexually assaulted /raped

"I have a cell phone, and can call 911"
Not sure the FCC allows Porn over the airwaves even if it is a 911 recording, get a Porn site on speed-dial and perhaps you can make money off this deal.

"Men are the ones you have to watch and protect yourself from"
Darlin' you really need to visit a jail and meet Bubba-ette

"I happen to be a virgin and am waiting for the first time to be special".
We differ on the definition of "special"

"Are you going to walk me to my car?"
You are the one with a rape whistle, cell phone, and condoms, not me.

Oh well...she wasn't from around these parts and later went back north on the road she come south on...

Redneck with a 40
June 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
If guns cause murder and mayhem, then why are there never any shootings at shooting ranges???:D This effectively destroys their argument.:D

coelacanth
June 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
:D Nah, if you were kicking my @$$ I'd probably shoot myself. :D

HKUSP45C
June 27, 2007, 10:18 AM
I love the "Someone will just ake it away from you and use against you." line. My reply is always the same. I may even have stolen it from this very site.

Me: "Well, since they're so easily taken then I'll just take right back, he will in turn do the same and me again .... heck we'll just stand there passing it back and forth until one of us falls asleep or a cop shows up. See, guns in my hands DO stop crime!"

AlaskaErik
June 28, 2007, 04:23 AM

I'd quote Sigmund Freud...ďA fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity". Then ask him how his therapy is going.

June 28, 2007, 08:24 AM
I would put my money on:
"If guns cause murder and mayhem, then why are there never any shootings at shooting ranges???"

June 28, 2007, 08:40 AM
One I have heard is "(insert lame anti gun statement here) killing in Darfur."
No thats what happens when one side has all the guns and the other side has no guns.

Leif Runenritzer
June 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
Q: Why do you need...
A: What you should be asking is why we have a right to have one.

"Only police should have guns."
Is that because crimes are mostly commited against police officers?

"Are you going to shoot me?"
That's half up to you.

"Why do you need X number of guns?"
I like to share.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?"
What does anyone need? Food, water, shelter and protection.

No.

"Everything in life is a privilege including firearms."
Everything?

"Europe banned guns and their murder rate is lower than Americas."
Then Switzerland must be a paradox.

"We should have a licensing system in place like cars, that would stop incompetent people from causing further damage."
Actually, we already have that for guns, but stricter.

What you should be asking is why we have a right to have one.

"Why would you need an AK47 and an Uzi for hunting?"
I don't hunt. Refer to the foregoing answer.

So you're anti-redneck? Would it change your mind if guns were cross-cultural?

"If i start kicking your arsch, would you shoot me?"
If you knew that some folks carry guns, would you be attacking whomever you wanted?

If you enjoyed reading about "Building an anti-Anti-gun logical comeback list. Please contribute" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!