youngin' looking for advice on how to properly shoot a handgun.

PDA

bhhacker
June 18, 2007, 01:08 AM
hello guys. I bought a .40 S&W Sigma the other day and took it to the range...pretty dissapointed with myself to say the least. I was hitting the paper at 7 yards away, so i know i can hit a person, but I want to be able distinguish which knee i want to take out :P:P:P. Seriously though, it felt like i had everything lined up, but then when i shot it was nowhere NEAR where i was aiming. Im not a bad shot with rifles and shotguns, but with pistols its a whole new game I guess. The sights that my gun have are the 3 dot sights, and i assume...that you just want to line all three up in a straight row right?

If you enjoyed reading about "youngin' looking for advice on how to properly shoot a handgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PracticeFreedom
June 18, 2007, 01:20 AM
Pay for some basic training.... Every range I've ever been to offers training (usually pretty cheap!) on basic pistol. Most beginners are too vain to think that they need any, and end up spending years breaking the bad habits they develop (speaking from personal experience here.) Trust me, bite the bullet, and take a few classes now, before you develop any. After that, just practice. Especially after you get some basic instruction and/or take some med/advanced classes, you'll get very good much faster than you will on your own. Also, afterwards consider any of the shooting sports. Nothing like a little competition to simulate shooting under pressure.

Feanaro
June 18, 2007, 03:10 AM
It will be worth the four minutes it takes to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

tnieto2004
June 18, 2007, 03:46 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself.. The sigma tends to have a VERY heavy trigger .. I was shooting my friend's** the other day and it took some getting used to .. be safe and keep shooting! If you can handle the trigger pull on that thing .. Buy a glock and you'll be in heaven

Desertscout
June 18, 2007, 10:55 AM
The advice for training and about the Sigma are both right on. The Sigma is one of the worst choices a new shooter could make if he wants to learn to shoot accurately.
As far as Jarrett's video, what he does works for him and many people use it. Many people don't. The isocolese stance works for some better than others. I think it works better for the gamers than for practical defensive shooting but that's just me.

Noxx
June 18, 2007, 12:16 PM
Great video on grip and sight picture, I think stance is more a matter of where you feel comfortable but who knows, I could give it a spin next time I'm out.

ZeSpectre
June 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
You've set yourself up for a bit of a challenge.
Sigmas are known for a heavy trigger and .40 Smith & Wesson is one of the more challenging rounds to shoot accurately.

On the other hand, master them and you'll do well with just about anything else.

If you are anywhere near the NRA-HQ range in Virginia I'd be happy to meet with ya and give a few pointers.

Vern Humphrey
June 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
Try getting a good .22 pistol, and stock up on cheap ammo at Wal-Mart. Once you master your .22, you're ready to graduate to the .40 S&W.

Wedge
June 18, 2007, 01:26 PM
See if you can move in closer as well. I know that 7 yards is already pretty close, but why not try 5 or 3 yards if that is possible. The more shots you get in the x-ring the more confidence you build and then car start moving the target further out.

A good grip and proper sight alignment will also go a long way.

edit to add: I agree with Vern on the .22LR pistol. I FINALLY bought one after years of shooting and noticed a huge improvement in my shooting. Being able to shoot 500 rounds in an afternoon for $10 and no fatigue helps out quite a bit. It is a P22 and while not the greatest gun in the world it is accurate enough and allows you to concentrate more on what you are doing...the P22 may or may not fit but there are a lot of .22 pistols for under $300 out there.

obmax1212
June 18, 2007, 05:47 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself.. The sigma tends to have a VERY heavy trigger .. I was shooting my friends the other day and it took some getting used to .. be safe and keep shooting! If you can handle the trigger pull on that thing .. Buy a glock and you'll be in heaven

I know it was a typo, but I thought that sentence was very amusing. :D

Good video on youtube.

opd743
June 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
I agree 100% that you should get some good training. I was lucky in the fact that my dad is a firearms instucter so I got free lessons anytime I wanted. As far as your choice of gun, I hate the .40. I won the firearms award at the police academy and I still cannot shoot good enough with a .40 to buy one. Just keep practicing and get some proffesional training. By the way, welcome to the wonderful world of handgun shooting! Your in trouble now:)

bhhacker
June 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all your replies guys,

I talked to the range people and they offer instruction. Its 80$ for two hours...is that expensive? :-\ seems so to me.

ZeSpectre
June 18, 2007, 07:40 PM
Nope, sounds about right. There are instructors here who charge quite a bit more than that (but this is the DC metro area where prices are out of control).

cbsbyte
June 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
I would say trade in the Sigma for a used 22LR pistol. Then practice with that until you can accurately hit out to 25 yrds. Then buy a center fire pistol. A 40S&W is not a good caliber to use when learning.

opd743
June 18, 2007, 11:09 PM
bhhacker, what state are you in? If it's not to far away I would be glad to stop by and give some advice.

bhhacker
June 19, 2007, 12:03 AM
Care to take a trip out to Austin Texas??? :P

opd743
June 20, 2007, 01:47 AM
Sorry, little out of the way for lessons!!

If you enjoyed reading about "youngin' looking for advice on how to properly shoot a handgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!