Saiga magazine question

PDA

antagonist22
June 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
Hi, this might seem like a really stupid question but I really need to know and I don't know the answer.

Does the Saiga rifle take AK magazines?

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crazed_ss
June 18, 2007, 07:47 AM
No.

From what I understand, it can be modified to take AK mags though.

LaEscopeta
June 18, 2007, 10:26 AM
I'll be the first (in this thread) to refer to:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/

Rifle threads are about half way down the first page; everything you could possibly want to know.

But as stated above, the short answer is no, but either the rifle and/or the magazines can be modified so they will work together.

rangerruck
June 18, 2007, 12:28 PM
yes, with a little dremel, or using a bullet guide set. check saiga 12

MD_Willington
June 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
Depends on which Saiga you get...

Don't Tread On Me
June 18, 2007, 03:13 PM
I don't think type of Saiga matters. None take AK mags.

You have 2 choices:

1]Convert the rifle to accept AK mags. This requires the installation of a feedramp (bullet guide) and slight modification (grinding down) of the magazing release.

2]Grind down the AK magazines catch to work on the Saiga. This will make the AK mag into a Saiga mag. Bullet guide will still be required.

Note that use of a high capacity magazine in a Saiga requires that it be converted to a US made rifle.

rangerruck
June 18, 2007, 07:18 PM
uhm, all my Saigas take regular ak mags, they need a bit of mod with a dremel, and/or a bullet guide set. the E. german weigers, with the big metal rib down the back, are the easiest to mod.

Navy87Guy
June 18, 2007, 08:51 PM
uhm, all my Saigas take regular ak mags, they need a bit of mod with a dremel, and/or a bullet guide set. the E. german weigers, with the big metal rib down the back, are the easiest to mod.

Which is why the answer is "no", Saiga's don't take AK mags. Now, a modified Saiga can take standard AK mags (add the bullet guide and file down the magazine release) or you can modify a standard AK mag (at which point it is no longer an AK mag -- it's a Saiga mag). But a stock Saiga and a stock AK magazine are not compatible.

Jim

rangerruck
June 18, 2007, 11:32 PM
right, but he didn't as STOCK saiga, and STOCK ak mags!!!! We both win.

antagonist22
June 19, 2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, so it is possible with modification. I will remember that.

roscoe
June 19, 2007, 02:30 AM
Go to the saiga12 forum. They know all:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/

Navy87Guy
June 19, 2007, 07:05 AM
right, but he didn't as STOCK saiga, and STOCK ak mags!!!! We both win.

I like to call it being in "violent agreement". :D

Jim

24kshooter
June 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
Some of us appear to be stuck defining what is - is. The question was not if the Saiga or magazine could be modified - and was a bit broad as it did not specify AK 47 or AK 74 which would both be a valid consideration however the first answer was correct and simple - NO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!