Which is the best SMG?

PDA

OneShot!
June 18, 2007, 10:10 AM
Which is the best SMG for multi purpose use i.e. use from vehicle or in a combat?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the best SMG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dravur
June 18, 2007, 11:03 AM
The HK MP5 for general SMG use.

The P90 for "Hordes of rampaging Prairie Dogs" use.

The Uzi if I am cruising across the desert in a Land Rover.

The Steyr if I am in a Sci Fi Flick.

The PPSH if marauding germans wander by.

The Sterling... just cuz I like them.

good enuff?

OneShot!
June 18, 2007, 11:19 AM
How about AKSU 74, which is basically a small AK 74, much more power in terms of SMG??

SigfanUSAF
June 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
Just out of curiosity Oneshot!, why all the polls about best weapon for para-military use, or best SMG? Are we building an arsenal of automatic weapons, or do you live in Hamas territory? This is not a personal attack, I'm just curious.

FWIW, I've only shot the HK MP5, and was very impressed with it. It surprised me how controlable it was in F/A fire, and the 3 round burst was pretty accurate!

Sry0fcr
June 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
I'll take a colt Commando. Say what you want about 5.56 out of a short tube but it's still better than any pistol round.

El Tejon
June 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
What's best? The one you have.:D

I've always been a fan of the PPS. Never miss a chance to shoot one. SOTs can get them for around $125.

I like the Smith 76 too. But just about any full auto is a lot of fun for me.:)

Combat? A machine pistol? Guess it would depend on my job and what everyone else is doing? But, I've never been in combat and pray I will not.

What other purposes? You mean like DEA or something? Maybe a Colt 635 or the Ruger MP10. Something closed bolt (HK54) for single shots is what I would prefer. However, you carry what you are handed.:D

Remember the "how do Marines choose weapons" thread?:D

"Marine, you choose this weapon."
"Yes, gunny!"
"Outstanding.":D

oldsoldier
June 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
Prefer the old MP-28 II in .45 ACP.

ACP230
June 18, 2007, 12:12 PM
I recently shot a Carl Gustav m/45.
It's also known as the "Swedish K."
I was quite impressed.

The MP5 has better sights, but otherwise the Swede matches it.

Eightball
June 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
The P90, if loaded with the "forbidden to civvies" rounds, can be quite effective. Just don't drop the magazine. But the MP5 is just so dang controllable on FA....

Correia
June 18, 2007, 01:15 PM
This is going to be one of those hillarious internet threads where 99% of the posters will respond about guns that they've never actually used. :rolleyes:

I've got some subgun experience, own a few full auto, and have access to a bunch of other NFA weapons.

My personal choice for actual combat? None of them.

Most fun to shoot? PPsH.

Dravur
June 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
Some of us DO have experience with all the guns mentioned and have owned them as well.

well. except for the AK and the SA....

and the PPSH is a ton of fun. You feel like you should be riding a T-32 through Leningrad.

taliv
June 18, 2007, 01:35 PM
you left off the HK UMP

Oleg Volk
June 18, 2007, 01:56 PM
MP5 and M3 "Grease Gun" seem most controllable. SW76, Uzi, Ingram were too hard to shoot accurately -- for me. For ergonomics and sights, MP5 isn't bad. That said...I am trained on AR15s, so Colt635 would make sense for me personally.

OneShot!
June 18, 2007, 01:57 PM
Well I did leave quite a few out due to space issue, but from HK I did include MP5.

MassMark
June 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
Uzi...

General Geoff
June 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
Due to it being the only subgun I have experience with... Thompson .45.

MassMark
June 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
Boy, you know GG - I have to agree. I love the Thompson...

kBob
June 18, 2007, 02:27 PM
Well I have shot a few SMGs. That does not make me an ex-spurt.

Before we get started my personal favorites for playing with are the M1928 Thompson with horizontal grip and the MP-40, just because I like shooting them.

best SMG? That's sort of like asking which is the "best beer" its pretty much subjective opinion.

The MP 5 series is fun. I've shot a bit from the MP5 and HK94s that were converted to MP5 specs which is what most civilians have actualy fired as well. A little bit with the MP5SD and a couple of shorty mags from the MP5k.

They may be the best 9x19 mm SMG in the world....for police or security use where they will be mostly indoors or an area where they can be maintained by a person specifically charged with over seeing the individual shooters clewaning and maintenance. WHile I do not know the particulars I have heard directly from folks that attended the liberation of Grenada that the MP5s used by units such as the Ranger's and 82 AB for persons that were using some crewserved weapons and were in some commo jobs that the guns did not perform well. SOme complaints were about functioning in the field and some were merely the lack of knock down power of the 9x19mm at all ranges compared to the 5.56 in even short barrels.

Note that the MP5s soon dissappeared from those slots.

I can not say I have ever fired a more accurate 9x19 mm carbine than the MP5SD with the 130 grain subsonics the German police were using for it. Over all accuracy the standard MP5s have an edge on about all the 9x19mm guns.

But accuracy is not everything in a combat weapon.

The czech .32ACP? I have not shot one. the one I handled at Ft. Bragg did not feel like the most comfey thing I ever held, the Stock was not all that useful. TO big to be a pistol to small to be a decent shoulder arm. Most were in .32 ACP and that is not the best pistol caliber for military use. The 9x18 and 9x19 models were larger and I have not even handled one, but they look just as unweldy.

I have not shot the FN 90 but I would point out that 5.7 MM Johnson Spitfire carbines and their ammo did not sell well. Marty Fackler has expressed concern that in actual use against humans the FN ammo may fair no better than .22Magnum RF.

As much as I hate to admit it because they had so much hype before the rise of the MP5, the Uzi may well be the best general issue 9x19 mm SMG. The placement of fire controls, the much discussed hand finds hand reloading the adjustable sights (front sight is like the front on the Swedish "K" a off center post on a screw wit click adjustments) the grip safety and a sturdy if heavy folding stock all combine to make a gun that is likely to be useful to the largest number of users. Being built like a tank also helps GI proof it.

Given the weight verses hitting power of an SMG compared to a Mini rifle like a 10.5 inch barreled "M-16" and ability to hit beyond 100 yards one would wonder why any group would look at SMGs as other than toys today.

Shorty AR (as much as I loath AR15s as a general issue weapon and yes I have plenty of experience with the M-16A1 and own a COlt HBAR and have fired the A2 and been in clases with M4s and shorter and still do not like them as a combat rifle) has got most any SMG beat in useability and accuracy and power.

Since I did not notice "a shortened version of your nation's Combat rifle" as an option I did not vote but of what was listed I would take the Uzi.

In fantasy land I personally would take a AR-18S over any of the listed guns. Now if Armalite would only offer their AR180b as a full auto and laid out like the AR18S so we could keep M-16 mags ..... like I said fantasy land.

-Bob Hollingsworth

Evil Monkey
June 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
In a SHTF scenario where laws dont apply, I would be driving with an AKSU74 on my lap. Pistol caliber SMGs are worthless garbage, in my opinion.

Outside of the poll you've listed, I would go for a 10.5" barreled AR15. Also. close quarters can be fought with frangible rounds so they don't over penetrate.

That seems like a very versatile weapon.

You know what would be better? A bullpup rifle with at most a 12 inch barrel, and a sound suppressor attached. I suspect, with a suppressor on, it would be as long as your average compact assault rifle without a suppressor. So now, not only is the weapon small and handy but it also has severely reduced muzzle blast and flash.

stiletto raggio
June 18, 2007, 03:45 PM
If you are sticking to pistol calibers, the upcoming TPD .45 might be nice. A .45 ac AUG? Can you say suppressor/SBR?

Fromt he list, I would say P90 because of increased range and penetration. It is only really useful as a full-auto weapon, though, because you will need to pepper your target with a 5-7 round burst.

OneShot!
June 18, 2007, 04:23 PM
Not sticking with pistol calibers. Listed AKSU74 which takes 5.45x39, and fire about 700+ rounds per minute!

I dont know why but during the Russian-Afghan war this bullet was called a 'poison bullet'????

Bwana John
June 18, 2007, 04:37 PM
Grandpa liked the Thompson
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3385/gpwtommyed3.th.jpg (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpwtommyed3.jpg)
Im kinda partial to the MP-5
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5469/mp5uc5.th.jpg (http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mp5uc5.jpg)

The Deer Hunter
June 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
Theres no Thompson choice :(

But I put Mp5 down.

kcmarine
June 18, 2007, 06:05 PM
Never fired any of them. But the MP5 is cooeh.

OneShot!
June 19, 2007, 11:12 AM
kBob... thank you for your elaborated post.

I like Skorpion due to its size and the fact that its also available in .22LR.

But I wont carry .22LR for self defense, not that there is anything worng with it- specially if you are using the right bullet.

I am very partial to MP5K, Micro Uzi, and ASKSU74.

However, Model 26 is extremely solid and well made weapon. Being from Soviet Bloc and using 7.63 Mouser round, may be the factor that it did not get much response. The one I have is little heavy but stable in firing on rapid fire. Does anyone else has experience with it?

atblis
June 19, 2007, 01:57 PM
I though SMG had to be chambered in lesser cartridges than rifles to be considered a sub machine gun.

If not, what about the Krinkov?

http://world.guns.ru/assault/aks74u.jpg

Quiet
June 19, 2007, 04:41 PM
I though SMG had to be chambered in lesser cartridges than rifles to be considered a sub machine gun.
There are several camps on what classifys a submachinegun.

Some people believe that a submachinegun is a machinegun chambered in a pistol cailber.

Others believe the size of the firearm determines if it's a submachinegun or not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the best SMG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!