Hunting: Do you prefer Bolt Action or Semi Auto?

PDA

OneShot!
June 18, 2007, 02:13 PM
For hunting purpose (any game), do you prefer Bolt Action or Semi Auto?

I am divided on this because I like my HK91 .308, which is semi auto, but also my .243 BRNO Bolt Action.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting: Do you prefer Bolt Action or Semi Auto?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TCB in TN
June 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
Depends on the type of hunting. Long range deer hunting 200+ yards I would go with the Bolt Gun which does tend to be more accurate, closer ranges and especially in thick brush etc. I would go with the quicker handling and follow up of the semi.

Essex County
June 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
Semi Auto Is a distance second. "cept for vermin and a AR....Essex

OneShot!
June 18, 2007, 04:20 PM
There are some very nice semi auto out there which can be used for hunting big game. Such as Brwoning's 7mm. Rem. Magnum with four shot semi auto. And not to forget .308 HK 91, which, when scoped, will produce better results then any bolt action .308.

SigfanUSAF
June 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
And not to forget .308 HK 91, which, when scoped, will produce better results then any bolt action .308.

:scrutiny:

JesseL
June 18, 2007, 04:53 PM
If you're only going to need one shot, does it matter?:neener:

The Deer Hunter
June 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
"If you're only going to need one shot, does it matter?"

Indeed. Some people talk about a "quick follow up shot", but I couldn't imagine shooting at a running deer four times.

McCall911
June 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
I guess I'm funny that way, but I don't like semi-auto rifles at all, especially for hunting.

mljdeckard
June 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
For most large game, accuracy is much more important to me than a rapid follow-up shot. I had an M-1A for a while, and I found I wasn't shooting it any faster than I would a bolt rifle.

I still want, somewhere down the line, to get an AR-10 and put it through the ringer, but I don't see it replacing reliable bolt rifles.

Ala Dan
June 18, 2007, 06:28 PM
Bolt Gun ;):D

220_Swift
June 18, 2007, 06:33 PM
And not to forget .308 HK 91, which, when scoped, will produce better results then any bolt action .308.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *GASP* HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA

For big game, I would opt for a bolt. Varmint hunting, I usually carry a semi-auto.

Nomad, 2nd
June 18, 2007, 06:45 PM
Lever Action:D

-They come in anything, From 30-06 down to .22...

win71
June 18, 2007, 07:24 PM
OneShot!

And not to forget .308 HK 91, which, when scoped, will produce better results then any bolt action .308.Mine is not scoped so I can only guess how uncomfortably bulky and heavy that would be even on a short hunt. Words fail me for comments on accuracy...........

sojournerhome
June 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
Have a Remington 7400.
Rather accurate.
For all those piggies running wild around Texas.

TCB in TN
June 18, 2007, 07:32 PM
Do a little hog hunting or bear and you might change your opinion of a quick follow up shot.

Also your semis might be different than the ones I have had,but most have been shorter quicker handling rifles, that are far superior to the average bolt gun in the brush. Although you could get a shorter barrel bolt rifle that would be quicker handling but you would lose some distance accuracy in that case.

praharin
June 18, 2007, 07:35 PM

ok, ill be serious... what is that based on? i have seen a bolt gun put 5 rounds inside of 4 inches at 1000 yards. it was an exceptional marksman, and exceptional circumstances, but he did it. can you do that with your 91?

browningguy
June 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
I hunt with both, but really like my semi's, I don't discriminate because of the action type. Sometimes, when I want to look good in the deer camp, I carry these.

Customized Gr. IV BAR in .270:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/270BAR.jpg

Gr. III BAR in '06:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Rifles/3006BAR.jpg

I also have an HK SLB 2000 in '06, AR's in 3 calibers, and bolt guns in 275 Rigby, .308, 30'06, .300 Winnie, and .458 Win. All are good enough for hunting, just depends on the game and what I feel like shooting that trip.

Being an old fat guy I find follow up shots are much quicker with a semi. And in 40 years of hunting I have, on occassion, found it necessary to shoot an animal more than once.

Quiet
June 18, 2007, 07:42 PM
:scrutiny: ummm... no.

Sniper4Life
June 18, 2007, 07:50 PM
Bolt denfinantly, better accuracy...... I dont need follow up shots. If I miss (1 in 100000000000.......... Chance;)) I dont deserve what I am shooting at.

And not to forget .308 HK 91, which, when scoped, will produce better results then any bolt action .308

Uhhh..... Lets put the exact same scope on that and my savage, we will shoot for "rifles" if you know what I mean? Loser loses his rifle......:evil:

ranger335v
June 18, 2007, 07:58 PM
Most of my deer hunting is in the thick woods of N.E. GA. In early season, when ranges are short due to leaves, I prefer my old 336/.35 because it handles like a wing shooting shotgun - fast - to get on fleeting targets. Later, after the leaves are gone and ranges are longer, I have more time for the shot and prefer a bolt rifle, 700 Mtn/30-06 or Vanguard/.243.

Speed of a second shot has never been a problem in either case. 'Course, I'm only 67 so maybe someday I'll need a second shot. ;)

Belgiboy
June 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
I am totally with you, Browningguy. My BAR is dead accurate, and by far the best looking gun in deer camp every year. Mine is a Safari model in 7mm Rem Mag.

High Planes Drifter
June 18, 2007, 08:05 PM
I always find myself going back to my Rem700.

PercyShelley
June 18, 2007, 08:10 PM
I use a BLR so :neener:!

The accuracy isn't enough less to make any practical difference; I've shot MOA from a rest, which is definitely enough to hit the vitals of an elk at any reasonable distance.

I feel that the lever action is a good compromise between the bolt gun and the semi-auto in terms of rate of fire, which is fairly relevant for me as elk don't always die on the first shot and they move surprisingly quickly when wounded.

Also, I haven't checked side by side, but I think that the BLR is slimmer than, say, a Savage 110, which makes it a little easier to pack on a saddle.

azhunter12
June 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
If I had the choice between the two I would go with the bolt gun. Not as many things can go wrong with a bolt action because there are less moving parts. Thats my .02.

Titan6
June 18, 2007, 08:29 PM
If you're only going to need one shot, does it matter?

For some recoil. For others just in case one dosen't do the job.

KINGMAX
June 18, 2007, 08:39 PM
Depends upon the style of hunt, (ie; still hunting, as opposed to a dog hunt,, etc,,,), I do prefer a bolt Remington 700 ADL in .270 using 150 gr round from a tree stand or tower, while stalking from the ground an old Winchester model 94 in 30.30 still using a 150 gr round. This is what I have and what I use. = jwih, not jmoho. ( just what I have, not, just my own humble opinion )

OneShot!
June 19, 2007, 05:40 AM
Follow up shot is always a good option to have.

I guess not many of you have experience with HK 91. Bulky yes, but is it accurate? DEFINATELY!

Even the most expensive gun makers want a quick follow up shot option so they produce double barrel rifles.

Sniper4Life
June 19, 2007, 09:16 AM
Just out of curiosity can your Hk 91 do this?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s108/147fmjbt/GroupDime.jpg
200yds:evil:

Your right I dont have any experience with the Hk 91, I googled it and couldnt find any specs anywhere. You said it was bulky... how much does it weigh? Any pics compared to a "normal" rifle?

OneShot!
June 19, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hk 91 is very similar to G3 and G41. http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/g41/g41.htm here you will find spec on G41, only difference is that HK 91 is in .308 and semi auto.

Now if I am right or wrong, only a competion would tell, and for that my firend we are sitting way apart from each other.

Here is a picture of HK 91 next to AR15
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/phillyd2/AR15HK91small.jpg

Look, I am not making factual statements, I am just expressing my opinion. Perhaps I am wrong, but I strongly believe that I am not since I practiced on HK91 and G3 with over several thousand rounds. Plus .308 always yields great balistic results with competing in targets.

More info on HK91:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.soldierstuff.com/wts/hk91table.GIF&imgrefurl=http://www.soldierstuff.com/wts/page2.htm&h=340&w=312&sz=6&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=zZzz0h0k6BDIeM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHK%2B91%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DX

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/images/g3kand91.jpg

I hope this helps in terms of giving you some info on the gun.
Thank you.

Titan6
June 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
Hog hunting during hours of limited visibility = Big Semi Auto (not .223)

trueg50
June 19, 2007, 01:17 PM
Semi-auto for squirrels, never been deer hunting, but if I did, it would be in bolt action.

Just out of curiosity, every one seems to be saying semi-auto for a follow-up shot, but how many have actually taken that follow-up shot?

Titan6
June 19, 2007, 01:43 PM
On hogs I always send two. Repeat as needed.

TCB in TN
June 19, 2007, 02:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, every one seems to be saying semi-auto for a follow-up shot, but how many have actually taken that follow-up shot?

1st big russian hog I took with a bolt 30-06, nice shot 40 yards running broadside, good placement right behind front "right" front shoulder. Knocked it down and it got up and kept on going. 2 hours later I get another shot in the neck that puts it down. When we skinned it out the 1st round had hit the gristle plate, broke a rib and came out under the hide at the top of its back on the same side. Didn't punch through. I have seen several similar incidents and have taken to putting a couple behind the shoulder if there is any doubt. Further more I have been charged by hogs before, and while I have never had one get me, I have had a couple of close calls. That second shot may not ever be needed but if it is then you will be real happy to have it. BTW my buddy took a nusiance hog a couple of years ago, big russian cross, between 500 and 600 lbs. It took 4 rounds of 308 from he and his son at close range to put it down.

mustanger98
June 19, 2007, 02:38 PM
I hunt with my old Winchester .30-30 with the Lyman tang sight... mostly. I'm liable to take a British Enfield .303 too. Never hunted with a semi-auto, but if I hunt in Alabama, I'm liable to take my M1 Garand since they don't tell a magazine capacity limit. In any case, I go for one shot, one kill.

Sniper4Life
June 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
Oneshot, thanks for the info looks like a nice rifle. That group was shot with a savage 12fv in .308, and if you cant see, thats a dime. I havent shot a Hk so I wont make comments but all other semiautos that I have shot havnt been able to match that accuracy............ there is always a first time.

def4pos8
June 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
NEITHER! :evil: I prefer single-shot rifles. One shot ought to be all that you need!! Apologies if that grinds some, but I was trained as a Jaeger and I haven't been able to alter my programming. :evil:

praharin
June 19, 2007, 09:15 PM

look, I am not making factual statements, I am just expressing my opinion. Perhaps I am wrong

doesnt sound like you were stating opinion to me. seems like english is a second language to you. would you mind telling the rest of us where you are from in a little more detail than 'earth'?

i still say you are without a doubt WRONG about your 91 being more accurate than ANY bolt. its just not possible

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting: Do you prefer Bolt Action or Semi Auto?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!