Can anyone identify this part?

PDA

Rivet8
June 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
I did a cleaning session Saturday, including a Finnish Model 39, a Swiss K-31, and a Ruger Mark II. After the guns were cleaned and put away, I found this very small part on the floor. On the rifles, I only pulled the bolt. The Ruger, though, was detail stripped (and what a joy that was!) So the Ruger is the most likely source. I don't see anything on the exploded parts diagram that looks like this though. Does anyone know what it is?
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z116/richard_geg/pin.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anyone identify this part?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
presspuller
June 18, 2007, 01:21 PM
Look on the side of your mag. for the Ruger. It looks like the button you push with your thumb to depress the mag. spring.

Rivet8
June 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
No, the magazine button is still in place. Thanks for the quick reply though.

jaybar
June 18, 2007, 02:37 PM
I'm assuming that the Ruger you took apart was the metal MKII.If so, that appears to be the safety detent plunger. Its the spring loaded part that snaps into the detents at the end of the travel of the safety lever that provides the click. If the gun was a 22/45 there are 2 of them on the gun, one on the safety lever and one on the slide holdback lever. Part number is A02511 in the instruction manual.

Jim K
June 18, 2007, 02:41 PM
It looks like the trigger spring plunger for the Ruger. It fits into the top of the trigger on top of the trigger spring and activates the sear bar as well as being the trigger return spring.

Jim

Arkie
June 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
Try this. http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1910zMKII

Look at Number 40 and see if that looks like the little part.

Rivet8
June 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
Kudos to you, jaybar. The safety doesn't click now. However, the A02511 part is shown only on the 22/45 diagram. The standard Mark II, like I have doesn't show a corresponding part. I suppose it will be clearer when I get it apart again. Of course, if the pin is out, that probably means the spring is gone, which I haven't found.

Rivet8
June 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I am very grateful for the assistance.

jaybar
June 18, 2007, 03:57 PM
Kudos to you, jaybar. The safety doesn't click now. However, the A02511 part is shown only on the 22/45 diagram. The standard Mark II, like I have doesn't show a corresponding part. I suppose it will be clearer when I get it apart again. Of course, if the pin is out, that probably means the spring is gone, which I haven't found.

You are right - the exploded drawing for the MKII only shows the safety lever assembly complete with the plunger and spring, however, in the parts list the show the plunger and spring being for bot the MKII and 22/45.

The spring is probably NOT gone. Those little rascals usually have to be dug out. As a matter of fact, since the spring fits so tight in the safety lever I usually slightly collapse the first coil of the spring such that I have to force the stem of the plunger into the first coil to avoid the plunger just falling out. Another trick that you can try is to put a small glob of grease in/on the end of the spring so that the plunger will will stick to the spring during assembly/re-asembly.

Rivet8
June 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
jaybar, it was exactly as you described. The safety detent spring was still in the hole in the safety. I put the plunger in and reassembled the pistol (only took me four or five tries :banghead: ) Now the safety works like it was designed to. Thanks again for your help, you saved me a trip the gunsmith.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anyone identify this part?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!