Remington 721

PDA

tinygnat219
June 18, 2007, 01:47 PM
Just put one of these on layaway b/c the price was right for a .30-06 rifle. $321.00 with a scope. Can anyone toss some history my way in whether or not this rifle was a good purchase?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 721" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Essex County
June 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
I would not purchase a current or recent 700. I would scoff up a good 721 without a thought. I firmly believe quality was far superior back then...Essex

Outlaws
June 18, 2007, 06:08 PM
I love mine. Got it about 5 years ago for $250. Be careful though because the whole reason Remington ditched the 721, 722, and 725 for the 700 is because of a design flaw...a few of them were reported to have gone off while releasing the safety. Do a search for it on Remingtons website, I think they still have a page about it. Had something to do with too much lubrication getting on the safety/trigger.

Either way its a great gun IMO.

rangerruck
June 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
Also they had probs with nylon parts , used in the bolt assy., but supposedly fixed those, so if they are ok now, then you should be fine.

Rich K
June 18, 2007, 07:22 PM
Bought mine 20 years ago, for $150.00. Never regretted it.

Exposure
June 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
I have my Grampa Pete's 721 that was manufactured in 1948 and purchased by him shortly after getting out of the Army. Chambered in .30-06 and with Lyman peep sites she is a tack driver!

I think that if the rifle you put on layaway is in any kind of condition then $321.00 is a steal!

Here is my Grandfathers rifle. Not much to look at I will be the first to admit, but man does she shoot!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/721.jpg

A few years ago while on a deer hunting trip I was walking back to camp after getting skunked for the day, again! Suddenly two partridge were walking around up in the clearing ahead of me. I dropped to one knee and used the 721 to pop the head off of one from about 75 yards, I couldn't believe I did it! I fully expected the other to fly at the report from the first shot, nope, it stayed right there beside the first one. I chambered a fresh round and popped the head off the second one! Fresh partidge for dinner at deer camp that night! The two luckiest shots of my life back to back!

I would gladly trade the rifle to get my Grandfather back, but as that isn't in the cards I'll keep this nice reminder of when he was alive and the fun things we did together in the few years that I knew him.

Dang I love this rifle. Have fun with yours!

eliphalet
June 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_721.asp

tinygnat219
June 19, 2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I feel better about this purchase. This is only going to be a rifle used during Hunting season, and not much more. Maybe for the occaisional plinking/siting in. I wanted something that I didn't have to sporterize, and this seems to fit the bill.

Thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 721" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!