Truck Rifle?

PDA

pablo45
June 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
Wondering what some of you would suggest. I usually carry a Glock when i go anywhere and have been wanting to get a rifle as well. I do not want to carry my m4 because my wife bought it for me and it is way too expensive anyways. What i do want is a pistol cartridge. Probably a 9mm. I am not planning on using it except for immediate threats that are close quarters. Or an occasional shooting session. I have narrowed it down to a Beretta cx4 or Kel-tec sub 2000. Any other suggestions will be appreciated and concidered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
June 18, 2007, 08:23 PM
SKS or Rem 870.

Nomad, 2nd
June 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
I wuld not use a 9mm for a 'rifle'

Out of the 2 I chose the Kel Tec for it's compactness...

SKS:
Cheap
Semi
Feeds off of inexpensive, lightweight stripper clips
7.62x39 is 'good enough'

meef
June 18, 2007, 08:35 PM
The KelTec, based on your stated choices.

But like others have already said, the SKS is a winner for a truck rifle - which is something the other two are not.

Not in the real world, anyway.

Maybe better to ask "what truck gun"?

:scrutiny:

Old Time Hunter
June 18, 2007, 08:37 PM
.44 Mag in a Marlin Cowboy or Winchester Trapper, if you want cheap get an Italian knock-off. Unless you drive some foreign crap, at least have the dignity to give acknowledgement to our heritage.

Eyesac
June 18, 2007, 08:50 PM
I hate beretta, but I don't see anything wrong with the CX4. It's cheap, probably well made...

KINGMAX
June 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
Find an old lever action 30.30, or an eight-seventy Remi, loaded w/ 3 inch #4 Buck. I forget how many pellets are in a 3 inch #4, the buck shot is the size of a pencil eraser coming your way 5 times in a row. That is a lot of protection.

Eyesac
June 18, 2007, 08:57 PM
at least have the dignity to give acknowledgement to our heritage

Wow, I like to buy American too, but cheebis!

Jackal
June 18, 2007, 09:05 PM
I recently got a Beretta CX4 in 9mm. WOW! I have a new favorite rifle. I mounted up an older Bushnell Holosight and soda cans are in danger anywhere within 200 yards. Yes, I said 200. At 200 yards, I have to hold about 3ft high, but then again, my CX4 is zeroed at 50 yards. Buy one used, dont pay more than $450 and have the most fun you can have with a rifle. Its kinda like shooting a big .22. Its that fun.:D

timmyb21
June 18, 2007, 09:12 PM
I would choose a pump 12 gauge of whatever make (Rem. 870 or Mossy 500), short barrel, added capacity, slugs/buckshot and another full load worth of ammo. Can go wrong with a pump scattergun! :)

Atticus_1354
June 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
I would go for a mossberg 12ga or a lever in .44mag or .30-30.

cheygriz
June 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
Mosin M44. Cheap, reliable, accurate and powerful.

22LongRifle
June 18, 2007, 09:42 PM
You have a M4 sitting in your safe and YOU ARE AFRAID I'LL GET SCRATCHED UP!?!?!?!!? And here I'm digging up change from the washer and dryer to fund an Enfield MK4 No2!

Jerry, looking for lose change under the sofa

Gustav
June 18, 2007, 09:52 PM
Good truck rifle options include the following:

Ishapore SMLE MK III 2A 7.62 rifle or scout rifle conversion with stripper clips and spare magazines fit with flash hider or muzzle break and ashley scout scope mount and 1-4X Burris EER postol scope or red dot sight hollow fiberglass stock filled inside with survival type gear.

SKS Yugoslavian with Tech Sight rear and Williams front fire sight Chinese chest pouch filled with stripper clips. Great low budget choice!

Sporterized 1903A1 or 1903A3 Springfield .30-06 fiberglass stock Lyman rear and front sights shorten and recrown barrel Galco butt cuff and ching sling.
These rifles turn up as sporters at gun shows and at places such as www.auctionarms.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunbroker.com

Mosin Nagant 1938 carbine/rifle cheap to buy and ammo is cheap and easy to come by the action is slower to work and reload but it is a rock solid rifle and is very handy. Great low dollar rifle!

Swiss K-31 makes a great truck rifle it is one of the fastest manual operated rifles ammo can be hard to find and spare magazines are expensive they are tack drivers and won't be cheap much longer. Check into a Mojo peep sight and a no drill scope mount www.surplusrifles.com

Also one alternative is a good used Remington 742 760 7400 7600 just make sure it functions and cycles reliably and always keep the chamber clean. Barrels can be shortened to 18 inches and a folding stock such as one from Choate Machine and Tool can be modified to fit and reliable 10 round magazines are available from Cabela's they are made by Triple K and are all steel. Check what the overall legal length limit is first and have a unique trunk rifle or keep original Walnut stocks for a low profile rifle.

Enfield MKIV .303 sporterized with a short barrel and trimmed stock these also turn up from time to time already hacked up. They can be made into nice light weight handy little carbines stripper clips and an extra magazine or two and you are good to go.

Any Enfield can be lightning fast to use with a little practice do a you tube or Google video search under mad minute for a bit of background info.
The fastest way to work the rifle is to make like you are going to give someone a birdie use your middle or birdie finger to pull the trigger and place the ball of the bolt firmly between your curled trigger finger and thumb and work the bolt using the thumb and trigger or index finger to hold and cycle the bolt firing with the middle finger as the trigger finger. After practice it is very fast!:evil:

If possible try to borrow or fire each of whatever rifle you may be considering at different ranges.

Best of luck.:)

TCB in TN
June 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
I hate the looks of the Keltec but it will accept your glock mags, so you have only to carry 1 cal and interchangeable mags at that, and as I hear it they do shoot pretty well. I have shot both the Beretta and the High Point 9mm carbines and they are accurate, and VERY fun to shoot, would imagine that the Keltec would be also. Plus the keltec is a folder and that makes it truck carry friendly. But I am a huge shotty fan, finding a good 18 1/2 inch Remmy or Mossberg can definitely give you plenty of bang for the buck.

Deaf Smith
June 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
Several good picks.

Mini-14 (find it cheep, no use paying $700 when that's so close to a AR), M1-carbine, any good shotgun like the Remington 870, Mossie 500/590, Winchester 1300, Maverick 88, or even a good lever gun. You will notice most of those mentioned cost no more than the CX4 or even the Kel-tec, but can be used to hunt to quite well.

dstorm1911
June 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
Any AK based rifle, built to be abused and beat yet keep on fighting, not into long barreled pistols with stocks hell I can hit reliably with any of my XDs but the .40 Tactical kills coffee cans regularily at 100 yards so why in the world would I wanna mess with a pistol caliber rifle? I use a rifle as it was intended........ for tagets outside of pistol range which for me means 100 to 400 yards out here in the AZ desert and an AK does that with ease the Yugo underfolder fits in the saddle bags on my Harley (I seldom drive anything with 4 wheels its either 2 or 18, my Blazer has been relegated to pullin a drag the last 4 years) the Yugo with 5 30 rnd mags is not something ya wanna be on the recieving end of even if ya are wearing body armour or hiding behind a car I still got your number.......... a 9mm made up to look like a rifle???? WHY even bother unless ya are threatened by soda cans regularily...... ?

Furncliff
June 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
When I ran across The Mad Ogre' little project I decided he had the ultimate Truck Gun.

Read more here: http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Marlin336CS.htm

LoadedDrum
June 18, 2007, 10:22 PM
If you carry a Glock get a Mechtech CCU for it. That way you can leave only the CCU in the truck when you park it.

kcmarine
June 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
Again, Saiga. Relatively low- profile, which won't get LEO in a knot. 7.62 x39mm Soviet is relatively cheap, and most of the rifles that fire it (and by most I mean the ones made in the former USSR) will feed anything but rocks. Costs about $280 new if you know where to look. They can also be converted, if that's your thing.

ETA

Ooops!!! Didn't see the pistol cartridge part. Hmm. Don't know on that. Pistol caliber carbines aren't really my thing. Sorry. However, the Saiga is still worth looking at as long as you don't mind the two different types of ammunition.

Prince Yamato
June 19, 2007, 12:32 AM
Unless you drive some foreign crap, at least have the dignity to give acknowledgement to our heritage.

Sir, you are in fact aware that the Cold War is over, right?

trueblue1776
June 19, 2007, 12:38 AM
Nothing says truck gun like an old Mini-14.

Pistol caliber? hmmmmmmmmmm

Babarsac
June 19, 2007, 12:42 AM
Either an SKS or Mosin...for under $200 you can't go wrong. Cheap ammo too.

paddling_man
June 19, 2007, 01:10 AM
30.30 lever Winchester or Marlin.
12 Gauge Mossberg or a SKS also good choices.

My preference, by far, would be the 30.30.

If you are stuck on the Beretta or KelTec... Hmmm... hard to say. Shoot both if you can. Still undecided? Buy whichever you can find cheaper. If you are certain it is a semi, pistol cartridge rifle you are after, I suppose you could (eek!!) consider the Hi-Point as well. Ugly as sin (as if the KT weren't, the Storm is kinda sexy looking in a sci-fi way,) but user reports rate them as actually pretty reliable. Inexpensive too.

Still for the same $200, I'm finding an ugly Winchester 30.30 but you are the one with the cash. Shoot all three if you can. I think the local 'hood gun range here in Indy rents all three.

mp510
June 19, 2007, 01:11 AM
I would go with a shotgun. More versatility.

RockyMtnTactical
June 19, 2007, 05:56 AM
I highly recommend something with more power. An SKS is the perfect trunk gun... inexpensive, so you won't be screwed if you get it stolen, but reliable, powerful, and venerable. Battle proven.

Pistol rounds suck, and as long as you are gonna have a rifle, might as well have the advantage of a rifle round. ;)

pablo45
June 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have a mak-90 and an m4 and they are way too heavy and clunky for what i am really looking for. I drive an 06 silverado extended cab. And i know i have plenty of room for it but i just want something easy to get to. I do have a 870 o.d. green and a mossy with pistol grips but they are too much gun i think. I just want something easy to get to from the drivers seat, and able to store without giving up too much room. Maybe i will throw the mossy in there and see how i like the feel of that in there for now.
I went today and saw some nice and cheap sks's and mini-14's. The problem is the length and the clunkiness of having them rolling around in the back. What would you guy's recommend to tie them down but still be accessable?

dstorm1911
June 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
In my 71 Blazer there is a police style shotgun rack mounted horizontally behind the front seats it allows the weapon to be locked as well as secured and will hold any rifle or shotgun I want to put in it, to hide it I just lay a beach towel over the top, but then I've got recarro bucket seats so reaching between the seats is no big deal, with the underfolder AK (or even a sidefolder which ya can get a conversion stock for your Mak90 for cheap if its stamped it will use a Romanian side folder) Ya can actually mount the rifle vertically right behind the back seat very easily as its total leangth is only 25" when folded. Again use a lockable mount bolted to the trucks floor, ya can fabricate one pretty easy, this is how the Norinco underfolder has been mounted in my sandrail for the last 6 years or so...... if ya have a welder just make a base for the folded stock to sit into and put some rubber in the bottom of it then weld a vertical bar the appropriate height to sit right under the front sight now weld a piece of angle iron to the vertical bar with the angle against the bar (ie; forming a "V" for the barrel to rest in) now cover the inside of the "V" with anything to pad it then a simple locking method is to simply drill a hole in both sides of the "V" so that a long shank padlock can be inserted through so that the bar on the pad lock pushes the barrel back against the padding in the "V" if ya want leave enough space to add a lil padding between the padlock and the barrel....

its easier to build than to explain the base is just a piece of 1/4" plate plate 5" x 5" smaller if your useing an AK as ya only need enough base to make a 2" tall "cup" for the butt make it by bending some 1/8"x2" flatstock into a shape that the guns butt will sit into then weld to the base plate I use 1/2" round stock (actually take and cut off an old jack handle for an old bumper jack, its hardened steel) to make the vertical bar this is welded to the base then the angle iron to the top of it....

Ya can also mount it horizontally by just adding a base plate to the round stock to be bolted to the floor of the truck, and with the ones I made I use a second piece of angle iron that matches the first instead of drilling the holes for a lock, the two angle irions encase the barrel with padding then a hinge is added to one side and a pair of flat plates with a padlock to the other side, a lil fancier than the first example but no rattles etc...

Ya can make em long enough to hold a shotgun or regular rifle horizonatally or like I said make em short enough to hold a folded AK vertically and in either case the gun is secured so ya don't end up being shot with your own gun by a car burglar.......

Another advantage of a folded AK, it can be stored UNDER a vehicle seat or even in a P/U bolted in a mount as described horizontally to the transmission tunnel between the front of the seat and the bottom of the dash board for very fast access easily concealed by throwing a coat over it etc... ya can also build one of those mounts with a long flange at each end long enough to bridge the trans tunnel with the rifle/shotgun mounted along the front of the front seat horizonatlally just put a flange at each end so the weapon bridges the trans tunnel, or even a single mounting plate bent to form of the trans tunnel then welded in the middle of the rod joining the two ends of the mount this can then be bolted to the trans tunnel with the weapon fully supported etc.. but nothing in a full power real rifle cartridge will mount in the compact spaces a side or underfolder AK can be mounted, the main thing is to be able to lock it so it doesn't get used against you if ya surprise a theif....

Essex County
June 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
Upon reflection, a nice .30 Carbine would fit nicely in this role. Essex

Rexster
June 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
I voted "other." My truck gun before I wore a badge, which was also before Texas had legal handgun CCW, was an Uzi Carbine. Then, as now, Texas law was very friendly toward long guns, loaded or not, concealed or not. Nowadays, those Uzis are not inexpensive! I like the Mini-14, but even those are not cheap these days. My general vehicle gun these days are .357 sixguns, and a Remington 870P. (My duty pistol is a SIG .40.) If I need to make the 870 smaller, I have a factory folding stock, which does not cause me pain when shooting. (I usually keep the factory wood stock in place.) The old-style Brenneke slugs enhance penetration of vehicles and other things, if that is desirable.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
June 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
SKS with Tapco stock and the new, functional 20rnd Tapco detachable mag (yes it works, no it does not jam).

http://www.colognelions.com/pics/t6mod.jpg

Alternately, the masses are right....Rem 870 with police barrel is 2nd choice.

jimmyraythomason
June 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
My choices would include an SKS, Marlin Camp Gun in .45acp(or 9mm) and the Ruger Minis 14 or 30.

azhunter12
June 19, 2007, 05:26 PM
Get a m38/m44.

slow944
June 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Get a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle in 223 and a couple of 20rd mags. The mini's iron sights are good enough out to 100yds if need and it's very easy to shoot.

pablo45
June 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks dstorm and everyone else for your good ideas. That is a nice sks by the way. I took my mossberg with me today and it really was not too bad. When i left the truck i just had it in the back with the seats folded up. It did not really move too much when i was driving down the street or coming to quick stops. Another thing that worked pretty good was with the muzzle faced down in between the seats from the back. It never moved from there. My 870 m.e. will be taking the trip with me tomorrow.
I am still not going to be happy until i can buy another rifle. I know it!

Mike U.
June 19, 2007, 08:57 PM
Like the others, I agree a truck gun should be a rifle caliber weapon or shotty.

My truck gun is a Romanian M-44.
It works quite nicely in that role with a couple of boxes of ammo and a few stripper clips tucked away nearby to keep the LEO's happy.

Although, I have to admit, that pimped out SKS that S.P.E.C.T.R.E. has posted, now has me wanting something along that line.

I gotta quit coming here. You guys are costing me money.

RubenZ
June 20, 2007, 07:44 PM
I agree with going cheap for a truck gun. Don't waste money on a MINI-14. They are totaly overrated.

Get an SKS real cheap or a Lever .30-30 real cheap. Or heck even get an old WWII type of Rifle that you find in gun shows under 200 bucks. 8mm or .303british.

I have 2 Enfields, Jungle Carbine No.5 and a MKII No.4(T) :)

junyo
June 20, 2007, 08:34 PM
The Keltec.

Blah blah blah you need a rifle round. Rifles are great, have several. Shotguns are great, have a couple, really believe in them for HD. However both rifles and shotguns are large and tend to make people nervous. So unless the Apocalype has descended and you're doing the Mad Max thing, your long gun might as well be tethered to the car, because it will stay there, which means it won't be there when you need it. The Keltec fits in the average briefcase. It drops into a decent size knapsack. It can be slung fairly unobtrusively under a short jacket. I've carried one in a messenger bag throughout a major city just to see if it could be done, and it can. The Keltec can go a lot of places a SKS/AR/Super Hole Puncher 3000 can't go. And since only rounds/guns you have on your person when the shooting starts count, 30 rounds of actual 9mm beats 200 rounds of theoretical .223/7.62/12 gauge in the trunk.

Fine, it's not as powerful as a rifle round. It won't shoot through buildings, MBT armour, or blow off limbs. Simple solution; shoot them in the face. The vast majority of target the average person will ever potentially encounter will be soft, but on the off chance that you face a hard one, you can compensate for this deficiency by a technique known as "aiming". The point of a pistol caliber carbine is really increasing the accurate range of the round. I can keep shots in a 6" circle while emptying the 30 rounders of my Keltec as quickly as I can out to 50, 60 yards, and an 8" one out to around 90. Body armour or no, I should be able to put one somewhere squishy within 60 tries. And in peacetime, why am I engaging anything past 100 yards, especially away from the house?

Then there's simple logistics. As TCB in TN points out, since you can get it with a Glock grip, you've only got to deal with one ammo supply, and increased the redundancy of that ammo supply. With pistol and rifle/shotgun, worse case scenerio, you've fought your way back to the rifle... and it malfunctions. Congratulations, your 50 lbs of rifle/shotgun ammo are lovely paperweights, and you've worked through the two mags for the pistol getting there. With a matched pistol caliber carbine as long as you have one of your guns and any ammo left, you're still in the fight.

Is the Keltec the Ultimate Fighting Gun? No, anymore than a sand wedge is the Ultimate Golf Club. But it does fit some situations, and IMHO this is one of them.

dstorm1911
June 20, 2007, 08:52 PM
Junyo, guess ya missed the part about him already carryin a Glock and was looking at the rifle in the truck as suplimentary huh???

Ya might wanna bla bla bla slow down a tad and actually go read what it is he is looking for he isn't wanting it to carry around in a messanger bag in a major cuty, he has his Glock for on his person and close range, the rifle is to remain in the truck in case he needs something with more punch........ ie for shootin through buildings and such........

KHawk
June 20, 2007, 09:01 PM
I voted other: either Remington 870 with a smooth deer barrel and #4 shot; or a 30-30 lever gun.

MrTwigg
June 20, 2007, 09:03 PM
and rifles are rifles. So iffin' you want a truck rifle why consider pistol caliber carbines.

Others have mentioned the SKS and AK clones. My suggestion is an AK clone with a sidefolder, extended mag release and a couple 30 rounders.

Less $$ than the Berettta so you get a couple cases of ammo as well.

'Nuff said. :D

sixgunner455
June 20, 2007, 09:05 PM
Neither of those are rifles. But if you really want commonality of ammo and mags, get the KelTec with the right grip to match your Glock.

junyo
June 20, 2007, 11:49 PM
Junyo, guess ya missed the part about him already carryin a Glock and was looking at the rifle in the truck as suplimentary huh???

Ya might wanna bla bla bla slow down a tad and actually go read what it is he is looking for he isn't wanting it to carry around in a messanger bag in a major cuty, he has his Glock for on his person and close range, the rifle is to remain in the truck in case he needs something with more punch........ ie for shootin through buildings and such........Didn't miss it at all.
I am not planning on using it except for immediate threats that are close quarters. Nope, no shooting through buildings, countersniping, or storming a beach. Nothing that requires a full on rifle, just something with more capability than his pistol.

Before you start correcting me, and make sure you're correct..

full metal
June 20, 2007, 11:59 PM
I live in the dessert so,I carry a mosin nagant and a 12 gauge winchester 12.
I recomend a mosin nagant or a sks for a trunk rifle cheap throw around trunk rifle.

Nhsport
June 21, 2007, 03:23 AM
Everyone needs to pick a truck gun to fit their own needs . Here are my thoughts.
I used to have a Kel tek and I was not impressed by the mushy trigger and worried about the reliability of all that plastic and the stock /reicever doesn't fit my face very well .
The SKS is pretty nice,cheep gun,reasonable ammo (not so much now as before,but still reasonable)reasonable power and fun to shoot . Importiant in my way of thinking is the ability to quickly load with a stripper clip . Don't like the factory sights due to old man eyes with bifocals but I have put a peep sight on mine .
I like the lever guns , again with my eyes I always mount a peep. I have a 30/30 which is good and I also have a marlin cowboy 44mag which is really to nice for a truck gun . What I really need is a beat up 357 ,45 or 44 that looks bad but runs good . Lever guns load kinda slow for them to qualify as a truck gun is some folks minds. My usual carry gun is a S&W 642 38 sp so the 357/38 lever gun looks good .
To the guys talking about spending money doing a chop job /refinish on a lever gun -Do whatever you choose but I would spend the same money on a used AR and be done with it.
While I am talking AR, This is my favorite gun ,all but perfect except I don't want to leave something that expensive in my truck. I wonder how cheep I could slease around and get a bunch of cheep used mongrel parts and slap them together into a beater gun for ?

Cosmoline
June 21, 2007, 03:45 AM
I prefer an inexpensive bolt action rifle. Military surplus is fine. You can remove the bolt when you leave the truck. Otherwise it's incredibly easy for a thief to smash and grab or worse yet use it against you or someone else.

pablo45
June 21, 2007, 06:20 AM
The Remington was not too bad today. I did actually drop it on the ground on accident when coming back home, so now there is a big scrape on the side. Guess i broke it in! I went to look at the kel-tec again and i thought about the face thing. My face does not fit it very well either. The Beretta was fine but of course no 9mm. I think for now i will probably stick with the 870 and hopefully look around for a new AK or SKS. Maybe even something else that might catch my fancy!

Byron Quick
June 21, 2007, 06:26 AM
Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen with 10 round after market magazines.

Nematocyst
June 21, 2007, 06:31 AM
Proud member of "other".

.30-30.

Shotgun?
Yeah, i got one of them, too ...

dstorm1911
June 21, 2007, 11:05 AM
Pablo45, if your thinking bout the AK, the one to look at is onea the Century Yugo underfolders, I can't even build em for the price Century is sellin em for complete with brand new match grade barrel, The Yugos folding stock is much more comfortable than any others (I build these things for a living as well as NFA stuff) The only thing ya gotta watch with a Century built Yugo (or any gun) is the sights make sure they are installed straight as Century has a habit of canting them. The rest of the rifle is the same components we use in Custom builds, a 1.6 mm Nodak spuds reciever, the Yugo has a stainless bolt and bolt carrier, the new Barrel is USA made by Green mountain barrels, not chrome lined which doesn't mean anything unless your like me and have stockpiles of old Chinese military surplus ammo ya bought up in the 80s as ya can't get corrosivly primed 7.62x39 in the USA anymore otherwise and if ya did....... your gas system would still be subject to corrosion as well as bolt face if ya don't clean your guns properly etc...

The reason I suggest looking at one in the near future is that supplies will be running out in the next few months of them, Century stopped selling the parts sets to dealers about 5 months ago so they could use the remaining parts sets to build their own guns and due to the barrel ban being enforced by the BATF none of the importers are going to be importing anymore AK parts sets its just not cost effective for em, the Yugo's Century is selling are the last sets that had bad barrels so....... they just install a brand new US barrel...

Ya will notice a difference in accuracy right off the bat particularily in longer range shots, The heavier RPK front trunion and the thicker fully heat treated reciever really make for a solid rifle the Yugo's built em to be able to launch grenades, which brings us to a must have accesary a grenade launcher that screws on in place of the slant brake, I have a few original ones I use with my Yugo's which are about impossible to get now but I did find that FAC Supply has the USA copy for $30 or so they are alota fun if ya make your own dummy grenades outa tennis balls, I've gotten so I can hit a sitting jack rabbit easily at 100 yards out here in the desert, it won't kill em but sure surprises the h#ll outa em ;) Ya can find the Yugo's right now for around $425 my contacts at Century are guestimating the parts they have left will go for about 5 more months tops then ya can expect the price to jump dramatically as dealers cannot order more etc... Plus if the liberals get their new Assault weapons ban passed then the only way ya'll be able to get an underfolder or any of the other evil features is to either already have one or buy a "preban" which will be around 3 times the current price (based on the last AWB before it sunset) so anyway something to look at.....

Bout that scatter gun ya really do need to secure it, not only to prevent theft but also in the event of an accident the last thing ya want bouncin around inside the limited space of a P/U cab is a loaded 870 12 gauge!! or any gun for that matter but a scattergun barrel through the head would really suck....

If ya can't build onea the locking racks then ya might at least put an eyebolt on onea your seatbelt bolts in the floor (they are usually bolted behind the front seat) just take out the bolt if its a torqes bolt replace it with a hex and weld a steel ring to the top of it so ya can run a gun cable lock through it then through your trigger gaurd with the reciever inside of the cable lock loop, that will slow down a theif and will deffinetly keep the guns barrel from gettin pointed anywhere ya don't want it even in the event of a roll over.

Good luck and have FUN!!

RubenZ
June 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
The thing about AR's is I just cant find myself able to scratch them up and get em dirty :(. If they had a stronger finish they would fit the bill as a truck gun for me. I just can't see myself throwing an AR in the back. Now an SKS or old beater lever, yes I can.

Old John
June 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
Over the years, I've carried a buncha different Truck/Trunk guns.
And, they varied. But, they were about All, Old Beaters.
I've had an old Marlin .22 auto-loader, an SKS, a single brrl. 12 ga.,
a bolt-action 20 ga. Mossberg, and a beat up Savage 12.ga. pump.
Prob'ly been a couple more.
I have never had a "new" Truck/Trunk Gun.
I think the most I paid for one was about $150 or $175.
I traded for a couple of them.
I have carried a sidearm for many years also, all day, every day.

You gotta remember, though.........It is gonna get knocked around.
It'll get nicked up some.
It might get a little damp, or draw moisture when the weather changes.
So, it might pick up some rust.

Suit y'urself. But I would Not go with a pistol caliber Truck/Trunk Gun.
Shotgun or Rifle caliber would be best, AISI.
It's pro'bly just going to be what you might need, "in a pinch".
If you're already carrying a sidearm, you'll prob'ly never need a
Truck/Trunk Gun.
But, you can't have too many guns, right.
Have Fun.

leadcounsel
June 21, 2007, 07:10 PM
1: SKS, remove grenade launcher and bayonet
2: 12 ga shotgun (provides cheap and variety of ammo)
3: Lever action 30-30

All have practical accuracy to 100 yards, and will be excellent "defensive" weapons at realistic close ranges <50 yards.

lee n. field
June 21, 2007, 08:02 PM
Truck Rifle?
Wondering what some of you would suggest.

Maybe better to ask "what truck gun"?

Yes. What's it for? For what purpose and how exactly do you anticipate using this "truck gun"?

Yugo SKS or Mosin-Nagant carbine (M44 if you want one with the sticker thing on the end). Got a fair amount of stomp and either is currently cheap enough to not be a painful loss if it gets stolen/confiscated (two faces of the same coin), damaged in a wreck or gets rusty (you are planning on leaving this in your truck, right? don't be surprised if it gets rusty.)

texas bulldog
June 21, 2007, 08:03 PM
if you want a pistol caliber truck gun, i don't think you can go wrong with a lever action. you can find them in just about any revolver caliber. since i prefer revolvers for carry anyway, the lever action is a natural fit for ammo commonality.

i also think the SKS or remi 870 are great truck gun choices, though not pistol caliber...

Srigs
June 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
Any long gun you could use. What can you afford to loose?

I use a Hi Point Carbine in 40S&W.

I could use my Mossberg 500 or Ishy 2A. The point is use what you have and choose the correct ammo for the gun and chosen problem your trying to solve. ;)

RubenZ
June 22, 2007, 10:23 AM
Ya you have to think of what a truck gun means. It's not going to be something for close quarter emergency. Lets face it, a truck gun is going to do you no good in a big city. You're better off getting a AR15 pistol.

Truck gun for me is to have in my truck when I'm out at ranches. It's something I can just leave in the truck, get banged up, full of mud etc.

DawgFvr
June 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
I vote for SKS as a car/truck gun.

doubleg
June 22, 2007, 12:41 PM
I would take a shotgun with rifle sights, the police in my area are really hard to deal with. I can't imagine what they would do to me if they found a commie "assault rifle" :rolleyes: in my trunk. I think they would be a little bit more understanding with a shotgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!