Caught a mouse, release, or public execution?

PDA

twoblink
June 25, 2003, 03:19 AM
So I'm on the computer two nights ago, and I see from the corner of my eye, something move. 3am.. probably my imagination.

10 minutes later, something ran by again.. with a tail!!

And so I bought a mouse cage.. and set it up. Well, caught the mouse last night..

So now I'm wondering what to do with it..

Releasing it, it might mate, and it's children, and grand children might visit me again..

Feed it to the local petshop snakes?

Otherwise, I will have to kill it, and I don't know how to go about that humanely..

I can leave it in the cage in the sun, and it will die in like 3 hours, but a painful death. I can starve it to death, but that will take like 3-5 days. I can not give it any water, and let it dehydrate to death, again, probably too painful.

I've got an airsoft, but I don't think that will kill it..

Suggestions??

If you enjoyed reading about "Caught a mouse, release, or public execution?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
June 25, 2003, 03:23 AM
Release it.
Only kill something if you have to.

Triad
June 25, 2003, 03:26 AM
I'd let it go. You could release it in the country or maybe somewhere across town. Maybe someone would like a pet?

Another thought: I don't think worrying about it coming back is going to do much good because if one can get in the house so can others.

Jim March
June 25, 2003, 03:26 AM
Actually faced with that question, I took the "prisoner" to a field a good ways from home and let it go.

Call me a softie.

When I was a kid, a classmate found a nest of wild rats and took one of the babies.

Remarkably, he managed to raise it to healthy adulthood.

It made a reasonable pet.

Just one little problem. Or rather, not so little.

Ever seen a 10lb rat? And just butt-ugly.

:eek:

I mean, holy crap, this thing was the size of a cat. It was OK around him but anybody else, it would kinda snarl :).

Justin
June 25, 2003, 03:34 AM
Sorry guys, OT.

Skunkabilly
June 25, 2003, 03:34 AM
Unless it was REALLY bothering me, I'd leave it alone. I generally let animals go unless they're 1) in my bed, 2) in my food, 3) going to create a major nuisance later (a pair of amorous termites).

I actually killed a gnat today that kept getting in my face and I felt pretty bad about it for a while.... :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Caught a mouse, release, or public execution?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!