No Need to Pick on Our Friends in the UK for Examples of Big Government

PDA

Jeff White
June 19, 2007, 05:15 AM
When we have our own Seattle......
http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmov_topstories_070618_popcornban.15853656.html
City considers ban on microwave popcorn at work

03:30 PM CDT on Monday, June 18, 2007

KING5.com

Should microwave popcorn be banned from the workplace?

SEATTLE First, Washington State banned indoor public smoking.

Now, the City of Seattle may ban employees from making microwave popcorn.

No kidding.

A memo from the Fleets and Facilities Department addressed to "Employees at Civic Center Buildings" says there has been several evacuations in recent years due smoke alarms being tripped by burning popcorn.

The memo states that in the past three years, there have been eight evacuations at the Justice Center, which includes jail cells and courtrooms, because of burnt popcorn. That's more than 400 people evacuated each time.

There have also been several evacuations at City Hall and Seattle Municipal Tower because of the overcooked treat.

The memo states that if the problem continues, there will be a microwave popcorn ban in downtown City buildings.

Each evacuation shuts down the buildings for 30 40 minutes.

The memo also gives employees tips on how to prevent the problem, such as following the package instructions and staying by the microwave to know when the popcorn is done.

I am beginning to think that libertarianism is as much against human nature as communism is. Everyone wants to mind everybody else's business.

If you enjoyed reading about "No Need to Pick on Our Friends in the UK for Examples of Big Government" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
June 19, 2007, 06:18 AM
I can't see them banning it.

Maybe, they'll just require a MPL (state-issued Microwave Popcorn License). Then they can make everybody that wants to microwave popcorn, attend a Basic Microwaving Popcorn Safety Course before they get their license. Of course, then all of the stores will have to register with the FDA or some such organization and the store workers will require two forms of ID, have to fill out Microwave Popcorn purchase forms, and call in for a background check before they can sell it to anyone.

Of course, if you decide to jump through the hoops to actually get a MPL, it may or may not recognized in the other 49 states, so if you're on vacation, you'll have to check for that. If it actually comes to pass, I can almost guarantee that Connecticut, New York and New Jersey will be problem areas, so if you love popcorn, plan your trips carefully.
:D

Autolycus
June 19, 2007, 06:24 AM
Got to love sheeple and the idea of banning anything and everything.

JohnBT
June 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
I wish somebody would ban it at my office. We have a couple of people who eat it for lunch and by the time they finish cooking it in our little lunchroom my food tastes like popcorn. And anything you heat in the microwave after they use it tastes like popcorn. And heaven help us when they wander off and burn it, which they manage to do frequently.

The Mayo Clinic banned it years ago because the smell of hot popcorn wasn't fair to the patients who weren't allowed to eat prior to surgery or couldn't eat for medical reasons, etc.

OTOH, it's not the government's job to deal with it.

OR maybe it is. From the Wash Post:

"Ortiz, 44, is among a group of California food-flavoring workers recently diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare and life-threatening form of fixed obstructive lung disease. Also known as popcorn workers lung, because it has turned up in workers at microwave-popcorn factories, the disease destroys the lungs. A transplant is the only cure.

Irma Ortiz, 44, got popcorn workers lung at a California flavoring plant. She and her husband, Victor Mancia, hope she can get a lung transplant. (By Sonya Geis -- The Washington Post)

Since 2001, academic studies have shown links between the disease and a chemical used in artificial butter flavor called diacetyl. Flavoring manufacturers have paid out more than $100 million as a result of lawsuits by people sick with popcorn workers lung over the past five years. One death from the disease has been confirmed."

Dave P
June 19, 2007, 08:14 AM
"been several evacuations in recent years due smoke alarms being tripped by burning popcorn. "

Maybe some person (not a machine) with INTELLIGENCE should verify the need to evacuate before actually doing it!!

Jeff White
June 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
Maybe some person (not a machine) with INTELLIGENCE should verify the need to evacuate before actually doing it!!

Dave, have you been counseled about the hazards of using logic when dealing with government? The frustration alone will give you PTSD. ;)

Jeff

trueblue1776
June 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
Huge solution to a small problem.

meh heh he, it is all going according to plan! :evil:

TallPine
June 19, 2007, 08:58 AM
Are they going to install popcorn detectors at every entrance ...???

Waitone
June 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, what about the thousands of Assault Popcorn Dealers. Gotta set up stings to catch'em dooin' the dirty deeds.

HKUSP45C
June 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
While I normally love to get up in arms about things small government entities do ....

There really are only two ways to handle this. Fire everyone who burns popcorn and sets off an alarm or ban popcorn.

They aren't trying to ban the stuff because "it's bad for you" like New York and Trans Fats. They aren't trying to ban it bercause "it's bad for other people" like Washington State and indoor smoking. They aren't trying to ban it "because "it makes people feel uncomfortable" like MANY offices and gun pictures/paraphenalia.

They are thinking of doing away with the priviledge of cooking popcorn at that particular place because a bunch of idiots are costing the state a pant load of money and lost productivity when they burn it.

If someone verified that there was no need to evacuate when an alarm went off and someone died because there really was one .... well, good ol' Seattle would be out a small fortune after the law suits were settled.

When a smoke alarm goes off in my building, we evacuate, period. Whether it was a bagle that set it off (actually happened) or a real fire. It just works that way here, heck it works that way EVERYWHERE I've ever worked.

So, in closing, short of firing everyone who burns the popcorn on the first offense. Which would be a veritable law suit mine field all on it's own. The very simple and cheap solution is to tell people to pop their stuff at home and bring it to work in a ziplock.

Let's not make mountains out of mole hills, they aren't putting pop-corn popping people into internment camps for "re-programming."

ar10
June 19, 2007, 09:12 AM
I think they're on the right track. I hate popcorn, it's dirty smelly, and not healthy, you could put it right up there with smoking. People who eat popcorn can't just eat it from the bag, they load it down with salt then a half pound of butter, which leads to artery clogging diseases. (sure does taste good tho)

ZeSpectre
June 19, 2007, 09:19 AM
Bloomberg will have his out of state agents makeing straw popcorn purchases within the month.

LAK
June 19, 2007, 09:47 AM
I would introduce the Popcorn Popper's License; special training, an application fee, background check - and tax 'em every couple of years to keep popping!

svtruth
June 19, 2007, 10:36 AM
call them fire drills.

Car Knocker
June 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
There really are only two ways to handle this. Fire everyone who burns popcorn and sets off an alarm or ban popcorn.
There is a third option - just do away with the microwave ovens.

robert garner
June 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
Popcorn owners Identification card POID
single purchase a month would a six package count as one or six?
How about the high capacity Sam's Club mega-pack?
The Movie Theatre loophole!
C and R for Jiffy-Pop?, or limit it to 1 pound bags?
and what to do with the street vendors who will spring up in the seedier parts of town?
Will Weekend sales be counted as "Saturday Night Specials"?

I remember my Pa stating that "now it will never end"
When they put flouride in the water.
robert

Mumwaldee
June 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
They better get tased and charged with a felony. Then they'll get in step.

Devonai
June 19, 2007, 01:54 PM
It seems to me that the obvious solution is to have everybody in the building pool together and buy a commercial popcorn popper (http://www.svend.com/popcorn/commercial-popcorn-popper.html). Train a couple of employees how to use it properly, then fill the darn thing every morning.

Sage of Seattle
June 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
I USED to be proud of my name... now I'm not so sure.... :uhoh: :scrutiny:

coylh
June 20, 2007, 12:07 AM
Zero-tolerance against popcorn. If it only saves us from having to make one phone call...

CypherNinja
June 20, 2007, 01:09 AM
The commercial popper would be even worse. I know, my nightmare highschool job was at a movie theater. :eek:

Seriously, an air popper (http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04821-Orville-Redenbacher-Popper/dp/B00006IUWB) is about the only solution that adequately deals with the issue of human stupidity without a ban.

CleverNickname
June 20, 2007, 11:09 AM
I really don't see what the problem is here. Unless I'm totally reading the story wrong, the City of Seattle is just proposing a rule for city-owned buildings where city employees couldn't pop popcorn, due to a recurring problem. There's nothing in the story that suggests they want to ban popcorn from anywhere else.

Mumwaldee
June 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
Look, popcorn is a real threat. They are a choking hazard...they give off noxious fumes when being "cooked"...and the fire hazard alone is good enough to ban these offensive kernels. Do the right thing...for America...or you're unpatriotic. And I'm not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America. :neener:

*edited to add: as if I needed any more condemning facts against assault kernels...they really hurt people with diverticulitis.

pcosmar
June 20, 2007, 01:07 PM
Just remove the battery in the break room.

Don Gwinn
June 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
In all fairness, they're talking about banning it only in city-owned buildings, according to the article. Not exactly big government. This would be akin to, say, a car dealership banning microwave popcorn in the lounge.

If Jeff White would get over his pathological hatred of police officers and government . . . .

benEzra
June 21, 2007, 12:36 PM
a chemical used in artificial butter flavor called diacetyl.
Diacetyl what?

The reporter seems to have omitted half the term...diacetyl being a common prefix to describe any compound with 2 acetyl groups, e.g. diacetyl morphine, etc.

ozwyn
June 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
Not a big fan of microwave popcorn, but when go after my stir-crazy popper, custom farm grown popcorn and movie theater buttery oil they won't take them without casualties!

Does my lack of support for the low capacity, low flavor microwave popcorn make me a popcorn-fudd?

arthurcw
June 21, 2007, 12:55 PM
C and R for Jiffy-Pop?,

OMG!!! I can't breath!!!
FOTFLMAO!!!!!

matt87
June 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
No body NEEDS popcorn. Every year, [arbitrary number] children (those under 80) die in America, some of which may be caused by popcorn.

Let us have common-sense popcorn control. Nobody needs a kernel feeding device whch holds more than 10 kernels. Let us ban mylar-coated kernel packets; they kill cops, kids and kittens. Only law enforcement and military personell shoould have acces to delicious butter, salt and sugar sauces. Let us do it for the future generations. Won't somebody please think of the children!

Soybomb
June 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
I am beginning to think that libertarianism is as much against human nature as communism is. Everyone wants to mind everybody else's business.
I've thought that was the driving force between most people's political views for quite some time. People don't believe the government is there to provide necessary services and things that can't be done any other way, but to make them live "right."

CountGlockula
June 21, 2007, 08:21 PM
Here's an idea, move the microwave away from the smoke detector.

SoCalShooter
June 22, 2007, 01:51 AM
How about you just get a pop corn machine and have someone attend it? Or how about this send out a memo on how to properly make pop corn.

ptmmatssc
June 22, 2007, 07:33 AM
It seems to me that the obvious solution is to have everybody in the building pool together and buy a commercial popcorn popper. Train a couple of employees how to use it properly, then fill the darn thing every morning.

That's exactly what the company I once worked for did , except , the company bought the popper (kinda like a theater one) and left it to the employees to fill and maintain it (cleaning) . Worked out great . Helped relieve the congestion at the microwave ovens also for those wanting to reheat/cook their lunches .

Autolycus
July 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well San Francisco has beaten out Seattle...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/24/bottled.water.ap/index.html

San Francisco says no to bottled water
POSTED: 10:19 a.m. EDT, June 24, 2007
Story Highlights• Move billed as a way to help stem global warming and save taxpayer money
• Mayor cites environmental impact of making, hauling and disposing of bottles
• More than a billion bottles end up in the state's landfills each year, city says
Adjust font size:
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Is city water better than bottled water? Mayor Gavin Newsom thinks so.

Newsom has issued an executive order banning city departments from buying bottled water, even for water coolers. The ban goes into effect July 1, and will extend to water coolers by December 1.

The move was billed as a way to help stem global warming and save taxpayer money.

"We're hoping to set the example for the private sector and other cities in getting off the bottle," said Tony Winnicker, spokesman for the San Francisco public utilities commission.

In a press release announcing the decision, the mayor cited the environmental impact of making, transporting and disposing of the bottles. More than a billion of them end up in the state's landfills each year, the release said.

When the ban goes into effect, city and county offices will dispense municipal tap water from a reservoir. Winnicker said exceptions will be made in cases where potable water is not easily available or poses health concerns.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

C. Rabbit
July 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
Personally, I'm more upset about the state banning outdoor smoking - within 25 feet of any building entrance (door, vent, etc.) and smoking on private property (restaurants, etc.) than this. Of course, for the smoking ban we've got the sheeple who directly voted it into power to blame. This, however, isn't that big of a deal to me.

CR

Lone_Gunman
July 4, 2007, 11:58 PM
If the Bill of Rights included the statement "The right of the people to burn popcorn shall not be infringed" then I would be upset about this.

Eating popcorn is a priviledge, not a right. I would not be upset if they banned eating in the workplace entirely.

If you enjoyed reading about "No Need to Pick on Our Friends in the UK for Examples of Big Government" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!