Stupid Canadian Gun Laws

PDA

Thad
June 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
You all in the USA have no idea how good you have it. We in Canada have the stupidest laws it would make you guys cringe. Gun registry, no CCW, no handgun hunting, barrel shorter than 4 1/4 oh sorry that is a prohibited gun, you want handguns ok you must take another course and give us more money for the restricted course and on and on.No fully autos. The people who were lucky enough to have a prohib licence and are grandfathered in are ok to buy, but if your Dad passes his prohib piece to you they will ok it for you to own. But, if you want to buy more prohibs nope sorry. How the hell does that make sense? The same thing goes for the stupid gun registry (which they have finally made us stop paying for when we voted Stephen Harper conservative party) how does making law abiding folks register their firearms do anything. Criminals still get their guns no matter what and do not register you morons.:cuss: So many people say why would you want the registry abolished? Because it is wasting time and money you idiot, when you explain what it actually does people say oh that is pointless. Well duh, maybe you should find out what the hell it is you are supporting! Sorry for turning this into a whining session.

A question: When you guys purchase a handgun in the States from a gun shop how long do you have to wait till you can take it home? We have a three to seven day wait!:banghead: Then we have to have it in a locked case, with a trigger lock. Not to mention an ATT(authorization to transport) certificate, plus the registration certificate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid Canadian Gun Laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
springmom
June 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
In Texas, I have to wait until they've finished ringing up the sale. About 10 minutes. Move south, my friend, move south....

Springmom

Thad
June 19, 2007, 11:46 AM
See dammit!!!:banghead: I must admit some gunshops I have made a ton of purchases from do speed things up but still there is a wait. Not ten minutes! You have no idea how frustrating it is to buy a gun and think about going to the range with it instead of waiting.

TX1911fan
June 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
My brother lives in Alberta, so I know and understand your pain. He was with me in Texas when I bought a pistol and couldn't believe I could just fill out a form and walk out minutes later. In fact, because I have a CHL, there wasn't even a phone call. The biggest restriction was the guy had to walk the gun to the front door for me.

TallPine
June 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
And that, my friend - is why I refuse to visit your beautiful country again. :(

I was up there in the seventies, and they asked if I had any firearms. I said "yes, a couple rifles", and that was it. They did give us a hassle about having enough money to drive clear through to Alaska, though.

xd45gaper
June 19, 2007, 01:47 PM
i have a carry permit so i can walk in and out with a pistol if i choose to do so. if you dont have a carry permit its 3 days!!!:what:

Tommygunn
June 19, 2007, 01:54 PM
In Alabama they do a NICS check and then you're out the door -- with the gun. ;-)
Feel bad for ya there in Canada, buddy. I've been to Nova Scotia and Montreal and they're both nice places ... but the laws and politics..... OOOOOF!

wjustinen
June 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
were'nt that much better than Canada before must issue concealed carry. If we want to improve our lot in Canada, perhaps that is where we should be starting.

cbsbyte
June 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well some state's firearm laws are not that far behind Canada's oppressive laws. Especially in states such as; NJ, Mass, Ill, NY, California etc. I would not be surprised if some states in this country actually ban all firearms in the not too distant future.

I love Canada; it is a vast beautiful country and most of the people are extremely friendly. Well except in Quebec, though I really like Montreal. Actually, I am heading to Nova Scotia and Price Edwards in early August.

tinygnat219
June 19, 2007, 03:14 PM
VA has no waiting period, so it's literally going through the NICS check and you are out the door. However, unless you have a VA CHP, you can't purchase another handgun for 30 days. Rifles? No problem. How many can you carry?

I am aware of Canadian laws and you guys need to move down here. Shoot, I see a bunch of Canucks everytime I am in Myrtle Beach, SC or FL.
Seems like a lot have made the decision.

ancient_philosophy
June 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
one day i bought five handguns at once.......took me all of 5 mins to walk out the door with it all.

the SOUTH, .......THE SOUTH. ....im in Kentucy.

ohh, and i own 42 AK-47s ;)

and 3 machineguns ......:D

Fn-P9
June 19, 2007, 04:20 PM
In Washington state one has to wait 5 business days for handguns. Unless one has a carry permit then its out the door. No wait on long arms.

The other thing, in Canada, is non sporting ammunition illegal? Say a .32 is illegal right?

carnaby
June 19, 2007, 05:16 PM
I feel your pain. I lived in Vancouver for many years and went to high school in Abbotsford. I'm a UBC alum too.

I left never to return. I now live in Seattle, and with my CCW, I buy a handgun or rifle and am out the door in 10 minutes. It's great. :D

AntiqueCollector
June 19, 2007, 08:07 PM
Depends...from a dealer, I have to fill out the form and they make a phone call. Only takes 10-15 minutes all together on average. However, I generally dislike for many reasons having a paper trail and filling out govt. forms (defacto registration IMHO), so I stick with private sales except for antiques, just give them the money, and walk away with your new gun.:D

Oh, no locked case, no transport permit, I can conceal or open carry any gun any time without a permit...move to Vermont or Alaska and enjoy freedom! Canada may be a beautiful place (I have visited, only people I didn't like were some snobby french quebec people), but if I were you, I'd place more value on freedom than scenery, and you can't beat Vermont or Alaska for scenery at that.;)

RoadkingLarry
June 19, 2007, 08:15 PM
In Oklahoma it took me longer to fill out the check form than it did for the shop to call in and get the NICS check done.

LAR-15
June 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
Some states require a permit or license to obtain a handgun.

Thad
June 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
Yes my friend the .32 is a prohibited firearm. Because I can kill someone ...more with it than my .44 magnum:confused: Oh man all your advice sounds great. It sounds great to walk in and walk out. Yes long arms are go in pay and a two minute phone call to register and your out. I have called my favourite shop in Vancouver ahead of time if I know of a certain pistol I want and he calls it in early, then I go in pay and walk out. But still miles behind you guys in that dept. There are so many stupid ones I am even forgetting.:cuss:

jselvy
June 19, 2007, 10:12 PM
Don't fret we'll catch up. Our government often feels that it has to "Do Something" and our largest gun rights organization will cheerfully help them shaft us.

Jefferson

The Canuck
June 19, 2007, 10:56 PM
My brother lives in Alberta, so I know and understand your pain. He was with me in Texas when I bought a pistol and couldn't believe I could just fill out a form and walk out minutes later. In fact, because I have a CHL, there wasn't even a phone call. The biggest restriction was the guy had to walk the gun to the front door for me.

Hey, small world! I think I was the one who met him at The Shooting Edge and spoke to him about his licenses!

The Canuck
June 19, 2007, 10:59 PM
springmom and all;
There are a few of us who are seriously considering it. According to family stories there is history in the South West.

Matt King
June 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
You all in the USA have no idea how good you have it. We in Canada have the stupidest laws it would make you guys cringe. Gun registry, no CCW, no handgun hunting, barrel shorter than 4 1/4 oh sorry that is a prohibited gun, you want handguns ok you must take another course and give us more money for the restricted course and on and on.No fully autos. The people who were lucky enough to have a prohib licence and are grandfathered in are ok to buy, but if your Dad passes his prohib piece to you they will ok it for you to own. But, if you want to buy more prohibs nope sorry. How the hell does that make sense? The same thing goes for the stupid gun registry (which they have finally made us stop paying for when we voted Stephen Harper conservative party) how does making law abiding folks register their firearms do anything. Criminals still get their guns no matter what and do not register you morons. So many people say why would you want the registry abolished? Because it is wasting time and money you idiot, when you explain what it actually does people say oh that is pointless. Well duh, maybe you should find out what the hell it is you are supporting! Sorry for turning this into a whining session

You guys should come down here! Plenty of room and great Mexican food!

Prince Yamato
June 20, 2007, 01:27 AM
Yes, but in Canada, you can have SBRs and SBSs w/o a tax. Also, they can be delivered by CanadaPost right to your doorstep. So, Canada doesn't have everything backwards, just most things.

carnaby
June 20, 2007, 03:08 AM
Yeah, but how many hoops do you have to jump through before CanadaPost can deliver it to your doorstep? I think what you really mean is that a dealer can send it via CanadaPost to your doorstep. But doesn't it have to be registered first?

A dealer here can send a firearm that has already been legally transferred to you to your door via USPS, and I can send a rifle or shotgun via USPS to anyone who can legally own one in my state. I don't think I'd trade our laws for Canada's any time soon :p

Thad
June 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
Yes it has to be registered first, but that is only a "hoop jump" as you put it. I have ordered a Remington 300 Win. Mag. from S.I.R. and it was at my door step through Canada post seven days later.

CK
June 20, 2007, 04:58 AM
sigh......I understand. Well, I guess I will just have to deal with the nonsense when I go back and apply for a license.

carnaby
June 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
Well, at least I can pack heat while I'm buying beer in Safeway. And we even have Canadian beer. :D

MD_Willington
June 20, 2007, 01:39 PM
My parents, from Vancouver Island BC, they take Canadian beer back home when they visit us in WA.. LOL

It turns out it's cheaper here then it is back in BC...

For whomever posted above, yep .32 & .25 cal are prohibited...

Canadian gun laws here:
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

AJ Dual
June 20, 2007, 01:42 PM
Here in WI we have a two business-day wait on handguns, a holdover from the Brady wait/check that pre-dated NICS, where WI does a slightly more stringent background check than the Federal one.

Otherwise it's cash, NICS, and carry for all long-guns. WI has no concealed carry for anybody (working on that, thanks...), other than off-duty police, and retired police that meet the new Federal standard. Open carry is technicaly legal, and we have no additional restrictions on ammo, or types of firearms or features other than Federal law.

Carl N. Brown
June 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
In Tennessee, the current federal Brady background check
requirement is handled by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
through the Tennesse Instant Check System at a fee of $10
and not through the federal NICS. Checks usually clear in ten
minutes or less and the TICS database is more complete than
the NICS.

Before the Brady Act, Tennessee had a fifteen day waiting period,
but that was a fifteen day time window for the chief of police
or county sheriff to DENY an application. I bought a Ruger .357
at a shop in town and walked from the gun shop to the police
station with the application form and was approved in about five
minutes. I bought a Ruger .22 at a shop in the county and had to
hand-delivered my application to the sheriff's office; it was mailed
approved to the dealer the next day. Most police and deputies I
have talked to thought the old system was useless and a waste
of everyone's time. Criminals caught with guns usually had stolen,
smuggled or black market guns--sometimes stolen military or police
guns.

For years, the Tennessee handgun carry permit was a "special
deputy badge" at the discretion of the county sheriff, which meant
that some counties had no carry while others had some. There were
scandals of bribery, cronyism and racism. Discretionary permit systems
all violate the basic principles of due process and equal rights. Since
1996, current Handgun Carry Permit system is "shall-issue": you pass
tests, have no disqualifications spelled out in the law, the permit
must be issued, and can only be revoked by just cause with legal
option of appeal. Not as easy as a driver's license, but a lot easier
than a private aircraft license.

Gun laws in Tennessee have gotten less stupid, so there is
hope for Canada.

30 cal slob
June 20, 2007, 03:25 PM
i went shopping for another machine gun yesterday.

nya nya nya nya-nya :neener:

Ratzinger_p38
June 20, 2007, 06:36 PM
Oh, Canada. Should really be 3 countries - Western Canada (from Manitoba on west), Quebec (perhaps we should move it across the Atlantic to join its motherland...), and Ontario. The latter 2 dictate to the others.

Seriously though I like Canadians as a whole though. If we in America hadnt had that whole Revolution, we probably would have stuck together to the present day.

obxned
June 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
When it comes to gun laws, those Canadians sure do know a lot about ice hockey.

carnaby
June 20, 2007, 07:28 PM
Not surprisingly, Ratzinger, you forgot about the Maritime Provinces, or as known by the rest of Canada, the welfare case provinces.

Thad
June 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
Myself being Canadian, what is NCIS and the Brady Act?

starshooter231
June 21, 2007, 12:23 AM
Here in Michigan I can go to the gun shop and walk out with whatever I can afford that day:)

NCIS = NAVAL CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION SERVICE

I believe you mean NICS. Which is NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM.

BRADY ACT= FERTILIZER rules regs reguarding guns

The Canuck
June 21, 2007, 12:48 AM
When it comes to gun laws, those Canadians sure do know a lot about ice hockey.

Yoo-betcha! That's why the Stanley Cup currently belongs to The Ducks.:scrutiny:

Our nation is going to come apart at the seams pretty soon, I think. In the last 24 hours I have heard of two 9-1-1 service refusals. One in B.C. and one right here in Cow-town.

Remember folks, 9-1-1, when seconds count, help is mere minutes away! (Thanks for that one Oleg, its gold!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid Canadian Gun Laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!