Shotgunning for hogs. What load?

PDA

Atticus_1354
June 19, 2007, 06:14 PM
I may be picking up a shotgun before to long and was wondering what load would be best for shooting hogs. I was thinking slugs, but I was also wondering how buckshot does against them. For those that are wondering I am looking for a 590 and have a line on a nice one right now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgunning for hogs. What load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PotatoJudge
June 19, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'd go with slugs for hunting or recreational shooting, no question.

If you're just trying to exterminate as many of the pests as possible, 0 or 00 might work. It's less humane, but it might increase the overall number of pigs you kill. I'm not really comfortable with shooting pigs and letting them go off to die later, but I won't judge the methods of those that are protecting their livelihoods.

sm
June 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
Slugs.

Brenneke's are highly recommended.

Mr. 16 gauge
June 19, 2007, 10:34 PM
Slugs.....I have seen bullets fragment on impact on the gristle shield over the ribcage....I would NOT recommend buckshot for wild hogs for any reason. I like brennekes as well.

Atticus_1354
June 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. Thats what I was leaning towards and I will look in to the brennekes.

Rottweiler
June 20, 2007, 07:58 AM
Yep, Slugs. Just about any will do

Il Duca
June 23, 2007, 02:27 PM
No reason to spend the extra money on Brennekes for hog unless you absolutely have to have them. The Wally World Winchester 1 oz rifled slugs will kill them just as dead. My High Standard groups them in a clover leaf at 50 yds with iron sights.

Big Daddy K
June 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
I have a dedicated 870 with a smoth bore 20" barrel. Fixed 4X on top.
I use the cheap Remington 1 OZ fosters. They are about $3.00 a box of 5. Good to 100 but most shots are less than 50.

Depending on how you hunt pigs, Buck Shot is effective. A lot of times we walk them up in thick brush and shoot them on the run. Sorta like quail hunting without dogs. I've killed them as close as a few feet out to about 20yds or so with 00 or 000 buck.

I'm wanting to get a short coach gun with screw in chokes, 3" mag and a sling for that kind of hunting.:D

R.W.Dale
June 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't use buckshot on any animal larger than a Coyote. In my experience I've found buckshot to be woefully insufficient for "bucks" even at extremely close ranges. Perish the thought of using the stuff on a big mean hog.

KINGMAX
June 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
USE 000 buck and break some bones. I don't let just one hunk of lead, no matter what the size, stand between me and a 'Mad Boar'.

Stinger
June 23, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm on the slug bandwagon on this one. At extreme close ranges buckshot would be super, but once that pattern spreads out even 8-10 inches, you've got a totally different thing. Some of the shot will undoubtedly penetrate, some might not, but your best hope is with a .32 piece of lead. A 1 ounce load of a slug is almost three-quarters of an inch. That is going through without question. It's also coming out...probably bigger than an inch.

It's not that buckshot won't work most of the time. It undoubtedly will. Most hogs I've seen/shot/heard of go less than 150 pounds, many even much smaller than that. Big'uns certainly can get MUCH bigger. You just don't know when you'll need more firepower. You don't want that chance encounter to be with buckshot. I'd rather use a small bore rifle against a big hog than buckshot.

But to each their own.

glockman19
June 23, 2007, 09:44 PM
SLUGS. for HOGS.

Charles S
June 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
USE 000 buck and break some bones. I don't let just one hunk of lead, no matter what the size, stand between me and a 'Mad Boar'.

I take it you have a lot of experience.

Slugs all the way, buckshot generally performs poorly on large animals.

Triple S
June 24, 2007, 12:57 AM
I have taken too many hogs to remember, but if you must use a shotgun, choose a slug. Buck shot is ok on the smaller hogs, but when you are dealing with boars over 200 pounds, you need the penetration of slugs. I have seen buck shot stopped by the "shield" on large boars and bars. On a side note, when you shoot larger hogs (over 200 pounds) you do not get much of a blood trail. Even if you shoot a tough bullet, when it exits, in most cases the fat clogs up on the opposite hole and keeps blood from coming out. The best thing to do with larger hogs is to break them down and not have them run off. I have seen and lost hogs becuase there was not a good blood trail. The slugs will work, but make sure you make solid shots. If you try heart or lung shots, shoot for the "lower third" behind the shoulder, and you will get some blood. However, if you don't find blood, don't give up. More than likely you have made a good hit, but the animal has run a short distance and laid up.

Atticus_1354
June 24, 2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the advice TripleS. I will be using a shotgun because it is all I will have to do the job. I only have two .22 rifle right now and will get a shotgun before to long.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgunning for hogs. What load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!