Who makes a good .357 mag lever action?

PDA

MikePGS
June 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
Recently i discovered (as i'm sure many of you did last year) that Winchester discontinued making the Model 94. That being said who else makes a decent .357 mag lever gun in the same price range? Also is it still possible to get these on the used market and if so does anyone know how much they go for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes a good .357 mag lever action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad, 2nd
June 19, 2007, 11:36 PM
Marlin... they get snapped up pretty quickly.

MikePGS
June 19, 2007, 11:42 PM
I was just looking at the marlins and they are very nice looking guns, but i didn't see one chambered in .357. Do you know what model specifically is chambered in .357 mag?
EDIT: Nevermidn i saw it was the 1894 but in a different configuration. Thanks!

rangerruck
June 19, 2007, 11:53 PM
check out a taurus, or puma, if you get a chance.

glockman19
June 19, 2007, 11:55 PM
Marlin, Henry

Nematocyst
June 19, 2007, 11:58 PM
Look no further.

This is it. (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894C.aspx)

MikePGS
June 20, 2007, 12:26 AM
Its so beautiful :Sniffles:

JT'sDad
June 20, 2007, 01:03 AM
I have a Marlin 1894CS for sale. Original owner. Bought in 1992. Has been a safe queen and I am trying to pick up a S&W 351PD. I am in North California. Would take $425 plus $25 shipping. Gun is cherry- condition not wood! Shoots 38/357 of any type, a very slick handy carbine.

115grfmj
June 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hard to find, as they go quickly, you'll probably have to order one. Also not many used, most who have them hang on to them (that tells you something:cool:) Tough as nails, gorgeous, and accurate. New the sell for around $490.-520.00 although some of the big boz stores (aka Big 5) sell a version with uncheckered birch stocks for much less (ala $349.), which is probably a GREAT deal. I've got the checker walnut version, paid $530. brand new OTD.....I had to order it though. Took a week....longest week I had to wait:evil:. Mine won't be going up for sale during my lifetime, and I'll haunt my son if he ever sells it;)

hqmhqm
June 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
I have a beautiful Marlin 1894C , it's for sale on gunbroker.com right now :(

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=74287274

It is a fantastic rifle, especially with the brass peep sight I got for it. It comes to the shoulder naturally, with the sights all lined up. I am only selling it because I have gotten bitten by the M1 Carbine bug hard, and just got a CMP rifle, and am anticipating getting more when they are available.

WoofersInc
June 20, 2007, 10:15 AM
Try out a Henry. Love the ones I have.
http://henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm

ZeSpectre
June 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
What do you plan on using it for? I'd recommend slightly different guns for Cowboy action shooting vs hog hunting just for example.

tinygnat219
June 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
Marlin hands down makes the best. I have an 1894 Cowboy model without the Tang safety and with the Microgroove rifling. It only fits 9 rounds of .357 magnum, but that can be changed by trimming some length off of the magazine spring. These guns can be kind of finicky with regards to shooting .38 SPL ammunition. They also tend to take some time and some use to become really "slick".

I would feel comfortable hunting small game with my .357 Lever Action, but not something like a hog. I'd prefer something like a .44 Magnum.

Either way, it's a nice dependable rifle.

Smitty in CT
June 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
If you have the $$, Uberti makes an incredible .357 Model 1873.

http://www.ubertireplicas.com/images/guns/la1873Sporting.jpg

They have the smoothest actions around.

MikePGS
June 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
What do you plan on using it for? I'd recommend slightly different guns for Cowboy action shooting vs hog hunting just for example.
I was thinking it would be nice to (eventually) have two guns that share the same ammunition. Eventually i would like to get a .357 mag revolver, so i thought i would like to have a carbine in the same caliber for the sake of convenience, and also just in case i was in some sort of shtf scenario. However i see a lot of people are mentioning getting one in .44 instead... is there that much of a difference in the two? since they seem to be more common, are .44's less expensive than a .357?

Boats
June 20, 2007, 06:29 PM
In a lever gun/revolver combo, there are two general schools of thought that seem to form around the two most popular loadings, the .357 Magnum and the .44 Magnum. As in most of these debates, which is the "best" can only be answered individually. I am admittedly in the .357 camp, but I'll try to relate the pros and cons of each as I have commonly encountered them.

Pros of the .357 Magnum carbine/revo combo.

Ease of firing in both platforms. The revolver, down to snubs, is managable, in the rifle, recoil is almost nil.
Cost of ammo is lower and loading diversity is higher.
Can carry more rounds per pound.
Has a relatively flatter trajectory over the first 100 yards.
Higher capacity in the rifle, especially in "Cowboy" models of Marlins.

Cons:

Not as potent either up close or at a distance compared to the .44
Marginal for deer past 125 yards.
The .44 is arguably more developed for hunting.
.38 Specials, while nice and cheap, are still far wimpier than are .44 Specials from either revos or rifles.
In a Marlin, one can get the .44 in stainless if desired. (Why Marlin won't make a stainless in .357 Mag is an enduring mystery.)

Take these points, except for the stainless, and reverse them and you get the pros and the cons of the .44 Magnum.

Boiled down, the .44 Spec./Mag is the better rifle against animals, and the .357 is the better one against paper and cans. Both will easily ruin a human's day if he causes trouble.

Since I plink far more than I hunt, and I could hunt with the .357 just fine if I had to press it into doing so, that's what I bought. It also didn't hurt that the selection of .38 Special/.357 Magnum revolvers, both new and used, is far greater than the choices ever available in .44 Special/Magnum.

Janos Dracwlya
June 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
I have a Rossi Model 92 in .357 magnum that I use for cowboy action shooting. It is a consistently solid performer and I would recommend them based on my experience.

Brian Williams
June 20, 2007, 08:16 PM
Any of the 1892 clones, but I prefer the Marlin 1894C.

Gohon
June 20, 2007, 11:38 PM
Boats, I agree the 44 mag is a better and more powerful cartridge than the 357 magnum but the 308 is also superior to the 243 also. I think you may be selling the 357 magnum in a rifle a little short, especially if you reload your own. I think where some using the 357 mag for hunting get into trouble is by not recognizing the limitations such as 100-125 max distance, broad side or quartering away shots only and the none use of hollow points on deer sized game. With the exception of the Hornady XTP's most 357 holly points are strictly pistol fodder. I've taken several deer with my 1894C and a few hogs to boot. First two deer were using 180 grain hard cast gas checked loads which actually turned out to be to much bullet. Though the deer went down the hard cast didn't expand any at all and passed through both lungs and out the far side. Exit hole wasn't much larger than the entrance hole. These same bullets drop hogs like they were pole axed. I now use 158 grain Remington soft points which expand beautifully and do terrible damage to the boiler rooms of deer. Granted, you do have to have the control to pass on some shots but get the right loads and give the 357 another try......... you'll be surprised how well it will work on deer within reasonable limits.

raginrednek
June 20, 2007, 11:42 PM
bought a legacy stainless 357 one year ago and love it. lead bullets, jacketed,
shoots it all great. great fun with 38 special ultramax reloads. cheap shooting.
fast handling, easy to empty.

kmrcstintn
June 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
I found a NIB Marlin 1894 C (no Octagonal barrel) for $445 for NIB today and I snatched it up; I own two .357 magnum revolvers and a .38 spl +p snubby and finally decided to put together a pistol/carbine combo; I held off and held off since I thought I wanted to use a semiauto handgun and match caliber...but since I haven't found a semiauto that I like, I finally bucked up and matched my revolvers;

to be fair, I also didn't want to pay $550 + for a 'cowboy' rendition and I haven't been able to find a 'Puma' in stock to be able to handle and evaluate; I based my experience on owning a Marlin 336 a few years ago that I was satisfied with

M110
June 21, 2007, 07:22 AM
I have a legacy/rossi puma 92, and a henry in .357. Both good shooters. I want too get a marlin cowboy in .357 too.

Tom C.
June 21, 2007, 08:39 AM
Marlin: 1894C and 1894 Cowboy. My Cowboy has the older 24 barrel. The current ones are 20.

Winchester Clones: 1866, 1873 and 1892 clones are available from Italy, Brazil and Japan

Henry

I favor the Marlins.

foghornl
June 21, 2007, 09:06 AM
For me, a 1-word answer:

Marlin

A lot of folks prefer other brands {Winchester, Henry, Rossi, etc}. Nothing wrong with those; the Marlins I have owned over the years always 'fit' me better than anything else.

Hmmmm I have a .30-30 Marlin right now....I gotta get a Single-Action revolver in .30-30 . . . . . . . :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:Just joking, keeping up the thread of a matching calibre pair of levergun & SAA revolver

MechAg94
June 21, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have Rossi Model 92 in .357 also. Great rifle. I don't do competitions or anything with it, but it would be a good buy if you find it used.

IMHO, Marlin .357 leverguns are marked up these days due to demand. I bought my Marlin 1895CB 45/70 several years ago for less than what some of these guns go for now. I think all .357 levergun are in high demand these days actually. Just a complaint on the price though. I have nothing but respect for Marlin leverguns.

Gunsnrovers
June 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
My Marlin .357 served me well for 4 hard years of CAS shooting in the early 1990's. I stupidly sold it.

At least I kept my Marlin .45LC.

Ranger J
June 21, 2007, 10:34 AM
I have a Marlin 1894C in 357. Every once in a while my wife lets me shoot it. Oh well, she shoots it better than I do anyway. Great gun shoots 357 & 38 SP both. I also have the 1894 in .44 mag. While basically the same gun it has an oversized barrel and is picky about what it shoots. It is also a 2-shooter as it suffers from the dreaded ‘Marlin Jam’. The fix is supposedly simple but I am not one to mess with the innards of a gun. I could send it back to Marlin but that is a lot of trouble. Competent gunsmiths in my area are rare and until I find one I guess it will continue to be a 2-shooter. This is not too bad as I mainly use it as a range gun. If I were to go deer hunting with a .44 it would be my Ruger Deerfield, hands down.
RJ

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes a good .357 mag lever action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!