Apple Safari Browser and the Reply Window Size

PDA

Rich Lucibella
June 25, 2003, 12:49 PM
Is anyone else using this Browser to cruise VB sites? (It was released yesterday but has been in Beta since January.)

Being every bit of about 3MB in size it soars compared to Internet Exploder...and I do everything possible to stay away from MickieSoft products. Better yet...built in Spell Check! :cool:

Unfortunately the reply window is horizontally about half the size of IE. I'd not seen similar Browser problems from TFL'ers so I thought I'd check with y'all.
Thanks-
Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "Apple Safari Browser and the Reply Window Size" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
June 25, 2003, 12:54 PM
I get this issue running Opera 7.0 on M$ systems.

Odd.

ChristopherG
June 25, 2003, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I've been cruising with the Safari beta since it came out, and got the uprgrade to official 1.0 today; but I'm not sure I understand what problem you're finding with it? (I've never had any, and it is definitely faster that IE, very few problems, and even the beta was quite stable).
CG

tyme
June 27, 2003, 03:15 AM
Okay, would everyone paying attention to this please report whether or not you're happy with the box width now? If not, please go to
http://www.thehighroad.org/cgi-bin/ua and paste what it says and about how wide, relative to its current width, you think it should be.

ChristopherG
June 27, 2003, 08:19 AM
Well, that is better. I'm looking at a little over 6" on Safari's screen, whereas it was about 2.5 before. Thanks for the magic, tyme.
CG

Rich Lucibella
June 27, 2003, 09:13 AM
Well, that's pretty way cool, Justin.

Can you tell me what it was?

Chris-
Now you understand the problem I had with it! ;)
Thanks-
Rich

cordex
June 27, 2003, 09:58 AM
I wasn't too dissatisfied with the little box, but do like this better. Thanks tyme!

tyme
June 27, 2003, 10:24 AM
You know you're in for a treat when you see comments like this...
elseif (eregi("Mozilla/5.0",$HTTP_USER_AGENT)) { // browser is NS 6

Now if anyone has ever payed attention to various user agent strings, you know that just isn't so.

Anyone whose browser reports a user agent string containing Mozilla/5.0 and which lacks MSIE is going to have a narrow textbox with vB2. I don't know how vB3 does things.

To fix it in other forums:

admin/functions.php
Delete/comment out the logic in the gettextareawidth function and just make it return 80.

Or if you want to tweak per-browser, you can go update the database... the values are in the "replacement" table, as used by the original gettextareawidth function. like the value for textareacols_NS6

cordex
June 27, 2003, 11:05 AM
*laugh*
I despise fixing other people's code.

Want me to write you a better browscap function? Might have some spare time tonight. What PHP version does this site run?

Rich Lucibella
June 28, 2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks much Justin.
Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "Apple Safari Browser and the Reply Window Size" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!