AK Zeroing-Sighting

PDA

WeThePeople
June 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know of any good manuals on AK-47 clone sighting and zeroing?

I have zeroed numerous US military weapons but my new Yugo M70AB2 is really giving me a tough time.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Zeroing-Sighting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goon
June 20, 2007, 01:01 PM
You will need one of the little mini vise type tools to adjust for windage. Some have tried a socket and a C-clamp with good results. You used to be able to get the mini vise tools at cheaper than dirt. Mine has worked great for windage but I broke the elevation part of the tool off adjusting the sights on about the 7th rifle I used it on (many of my friends have AK's and SKS's too).
To adjust for windage, you will need to move the FRONT sight the OPPOSITE of the direction that you want your bullets to move. If you want to shift your groups to the left, move the front sight right.
To adjust for elevation, you can use the one of the little tools in your buttstock cleaning kit. It looks like a screwdriver on one end and little fork on the other. Put the screwdriver end in the appropriate slot in your cleaning kit and use it as a handle, then pult the fork over the front sight.
Again, do the opposite. Moving the sight DOWN will RAISE your point of impact.
Hope that helps.

WeThePeople
June 20, 2007, 03:19 PM
Is 25 meters the zero range?

Don't Tread On Me
June 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, you'll need the AK sight tool. It's cheap. If not, you can do the socket + C-clamp trick. If you do that, be sure to bring some needle nose pliers to adjust the elevation of the front sight post. I prefer the actual tool though.

Pretty easy. Assuming this is 7.62x39mm. Find a 25 yard range. Set your rear sight to "2" or "200". Adjust the front sight ONLY. Turn the sight post to adjust elevation of bullet impact up and down. Use the C-clamp or tool to drift the sight side to side to adjust for windage. Zero at 25 yards with the rear sight on "2" or "200" depending on the markings.

That should be it. You'll have a solid 200 yard battle zero. Zero at 25, zero at 200 ..and never more than a few inches high inbetween. The other settings on the rear sight will also work for their ranges.

Keep something in mind. I've found that different ammo has a different point of impact. For example, Barnaul hits an 1" ot 1.5" left - while Wolf is zero on my AK. Zero with what you'll be mostly using or what you want to be the go-to ammo.

dstorm1911
June 20, 2007, 09:08 PM
if ya want it dead on the money the correct Zero is at 25 meters with the site set on the combat setting which is the closest rear setting marked "0" on your Yugo on other rifles like a Rommy is is marked "U" etc... ya zero dead on at 25 meters not yards it will figure out to around 18 yards............

At least this is how the folks who designed the rifle intended it to be zeroed, the "0" setting if set dead on will put your 100 meter setting POI about 1.7" high at 25 meters, the combat setting is where the sights are to be positioned at all times unless specifically fireing at a further target than 100 meters.....

WeThePeople
June 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
Thank you!

dglockster
June 21, 2007, 09:09 AM
Below is a two-page tutorial with pictures on how to sight in an AK type rifle.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/sightin.htm

lee n. field
June 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
ya zero dead on at 25 meters not yards it will figure out to around 18 yards............

meters are longer than yards. 39.37 inches vs. 36 inches. 25 meters == 27 and a fraction yards.

WeThePeople
June 21, 2007, 10:01 AM
Hey! That gunsnet site is perfect. Thank you.

dstorm1911
June 21, 2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks Leenfield, I been runnin so much latelly tryin to get all these customer AKs built my brain is locked on AK mode...... Now if I can only remember why 18 was stuck in my head? Probably would help if Tucson would cool down below 108 bout the time I get on the bike to ride 50 miles home in the afternoon ;)

strat81
March 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
Some thread necromancy:
This thread mentions zeroing with the rear sight leaf at:
- 2 (Don't tread on me)
- 0/Battle Zero (dstorm1911)
- 1 (Gunsnet.net link)

Can we reach any consensus? I'd like to zero my irons and a scope. For the scope especially, I'd like POA=POI at 100 yards. Recommendations?

ETA: I'm shooting 7.62x39.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Zeroing-Sighting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!