What is the difference between A2, A3 and AR?

PDA

.cheese.
June 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
They look the same to me.

I'm still learning about military style rifles. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the difference between A2, A3 and AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50 Shooter
June 20, 2007, 07:07 PM
You got different stuff like better sights, different hand guards, a shell deflector, improved flash hider, different barrel profile...

Outlaws
June 20, 2007, 07:16 PM
Well if I recall, for M16's A1 and A3 are select fire with automatic, fixed carry handle. A2 and A4 are select fire with burst, flattop uppers. AR is the civilian version of the M16. The different types of A1, A2, A3, and A4 are less of a actual model for the AR world and more just whatever the company wants to call it, but generally the A3 and A4 would be flattop uppers and the A1 and A2 are fixed carry handle. Someone will correct me if I got any of that wrong, plus I think there are a couple other differences.

A stands for Alteration.

.cheese.
June 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
ahh... so they are the same, just with different modes of fire and slightly different default accessories?

Langenator
June 20, 2007, 07:27 PM
M16A1-1/12" twist barrel, full auto, 5 clicks per rotation front sight post, slightly shorter buttstock, triangular handguards, fixed carryhandle/rear sights without BDC

M16A2-1/7" barrel, 3 round burst, 4 clicks per rotation front sight post, longer buttstock, round handguards, fixed carryhandle/rear sight with 300-800m BDC

M16A4-same as A2, but with rail system handguards and flattop upper with either removable carryhandle/rear sight or folding BUIS.

I think the M16A3 is the same as the A4, except full auto instead of burst.

As used in reference to civilian (semi auto only) ARs, the terms A1/A2/A4 refer to the other characteristics.

funfaler
June 20, 2007, 08:32 PM
For the AR15, civilian rifles here is the basic differences

The A2 has a fixed carry handle
The A3 has a removable carry handle

The rear sights are technically calibrated differently, but you won't know the difference, they are both adjusted, essentially, the same way, and they are both adjustable for windage and incorparate a BDC. The A1 does not have a BDC rear sight.

All AR15s are semi-auto, unless modified. If it comes from the factory with auto-modes, it is an M16.

Good luck

Jeremy2171
June 20, 2007, 08:51 PM
M16A3 is the the same as an "A2" but it's Auto instead of "burst".

Bushmaster IIRC coined the "A3" as thier semi-A4 style rifle.

praharin
June 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
i have held an m16a3, and it was burst. it had removable carry handle and round handguards. the m16a4, which i have fired had all that and a knights armament 2 piece non free floated rail handguard. though it wouldnt be dificult to make any of them with an auto marked reciever and the appropriate internals

Jeremy2171
June 20, 2007, 09:26 PM
Don't know who's "A3" you held but it's not GI ....the M16 repair manual clearly states what is what...and A3 is an A2 but "auto".

Ash
June 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
In civilian AR rifles, the A1 refers to the original style rear sight, which is adjustable only for windage, coupled with the 5 click front sight, but with the deflector (and as such, is really more like the Canadian C7). The A2 refers to the updated rear sight which is fully adjustable (elevation and windage, as requested by the Marine Corps). The front sight is less adjustable, but this is because it doesn't need to be. The rear sight has a larger ring battle sight for close range and a smaller for longer range, but the elevation is the same (range is adjusted by a knob beneath the sight).

A3 and A4 are interchangeable in civilian AR's, and refers to the flat-top receiver which may or may not also have a removable front sight (or no front sight at all).

Ash

Jeremy2171
June 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
The front sight isn't really "less adjustable" The A1 front sight was round and was 1 click per 1" @100. However the roud sight causeg glare and was hard to get e good sight picture with. They went to a square front sight and the adjustments changed to 1 1/4" per click but a MUCH better sight picture. All my A1s now have "A2" sights in them.

Ash
June 20, 2007, 09:49 PM
Here's a graphic of the commerical rifle differences.

praharin
June 20, 2007, 10:22 PM
i held it in iraq. dont remember whos it was, but he was in the army. he was looking at my a2 with leupold mr/t. it had normal handguards, removable carry handle and was distinctly 3rb

Outlaws
June 21, 2007, 12:12 AM
i held it in iraq. dont remember whos it was, but he was in the army. he was looking at my a2 with leupold mr/t. it had normal handguards, removable carry handle and was distinctly 3rb

Maybe it was an M4A3? The M4A3 is burst if I recall. Either way, M16A3's can't be the same as M16A2's because the A3 is a flattop. You can still get a carry handle, but they are on the rail.

otomik
June 21, 2007, 01:41 AM
M4 has the M16A2 trigger group (burst rather than auto)
M4A1 has the M16A1 trigger group (auto)

Maybe it was an M4A3? The M4A3 is burst if I recall.never heard of such a thing.

Jeremy2171
June 21, 2007, 03:49 AM
Maybe it was an M4A3? The M4A3 is burst if I recall. Either way, M16A3's can't be the same as M16A2's because the A3 is a flattop. You can still get a carry handle, but they are on the rail.

Ummm the "A3" IS the same as an "A2" except the "A3" IS FULL AUTO.

NO removable carry handle.

The only two carbines in US service are the:
M4 - burst and with or without detachable carry handle
M4A1- As above but full auto and "heavy" barrel.

Now the USAF is a whole different monkey....thier carbines are "generally" like the M4s but may have different sorts of barrel and such, some ARE M4s but others are old '64 vintage "M16" lowers with slickside uppers and an M4 barrel and handguards..to them its an M4. However the USAF has different designations like a GUU-5/P or GAU-5 depending upon which barrel is on it and what upper....to many variables to go into.

Onmilo
June 21, 2007, 10:27 AM
Colt product number R0770 M16A3 Carbine.
14.5" heavy barrel, 5.56 caliber, 1-7 twist, chrome bore and chamber, relieved feed ramps, A2 muzzle compensator/flash eliminator, bayonet lug, Carbine handguards, relief cuts for M203 grenade launcher mounting on barrel,
heavy buffer, flat top upper receiver, includes detachable carry handle unless otherwise specified, FULL AUTO selector switch, sliding buttstock assembly, standard pistol grip.

These are the basis for the SOPMOD carbines in use with Special Operations Group.
The heavier barrel prevents bursting when they cut loose on full auto, rock and roll, sustained suppressive fire with those nifty BETA-C magazines.

There are three other Carbines of this type designated as M4 no 'A's that use the standard profile M4 barrel and the FIXED carry handle A2 upper receiver
R0777 has an AUTO selector switch
R0778 has a FOUR POSITION selector switch,(Safe, Semi, Burst, Auto) and special guts to make everything work right.
R0779 has a BURST selector switch.

Another Carbine, product number R0780 is designated as the M16A3 Command Carbine
This is the old XM177 11.5" barrel with suppressor/flash hider, bayonet lug, A1E1 fixed carry handle A1 sight assembly Upper with cartridge deflector and round button forward assist, 1-7 twist, chrome lined bore and chamber, and BURST selector.

Ain't figuring out what Colt is actually producing at any given time fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the difference between A2, A3 and AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!