Savage 10FP

PDA

Slim Geezer
June 20, 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm seriously considering a Savage 10FP. There are several versions. Are they all the same except for the barrel length and stocks?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 10FP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jaholder1971
June 21, 2007, 01:26 AM
I bought mine when they first came out, that was 1998 or 1999. Mine predates the accutrigger. They've expanded the line quite a bit since then.

Don't Tread On Me
June 21, 2007, 01:45 AM
Nice rifle. If you can afford it, get the one with the HS Precision stock. It is a huge improvement. The regular stock is thin and flimsy. Not sturdy enough for best accuracy potential. While it does freefloat, a little tension can cause the stock to touch the barrel. Also, not the most rugged for a bipod either.

The 10FP with HS stock is pretty much a complete setup. It will have nice bolt handle, the accutrigger and a great stock. You won't be left feeling like you need to upgrade any shortcomings of the rifle. A lot of people later on feel the need to replace the standard stock and wished they just bought it with the HS from the start. That has been my experience with many Savage owners. If the HS is out of the budget by a little, the Choate is the next best thing if you like the shape/style. The McMillan is pricy, but the best.

As for your original question, they come in 20", 24" and 26".

The 20" only comes in the .308 in either the regular stock or the special folding Choate.

The 26" comes in .223 or .308 with the standard Choate stock and also in .308 only with the McMillan.

Every other stock or caliber combo is 24" only.

The 5 options in stock & barrel length breaks down like this in a more simple way:

Standard - 20" 308, 24" 308 & 223
Choate - 26" 223 & 308
Folding Choate - 20" 308
HS - 24" 308
McMillan - 26" 308

Aside from that, they are all identical.

copaup
June 21, 2007, 02:54 AM
I have a 20 inch that originally had the Choate (super sniper, not folding). I took it off and restocked it with a Duramax and am much happier. One of these days I may break down and order a Mcmillan, but that would defeat the purpose of my Econoprecisionrifle (tm).

Seriously, they are great rifles. Just avoid the standard factory stock unless you get a great deal and plan to restock it anyway.

Don't Tread On Me
June 21, 2007, 02:56 AM
What did you not like about the Choate?

Taurus44
June 21, 2007, 08:00 AM
I bought the 10FP in .308 with a 24" barrel (standard stock) and then got the Choate Ultimate Target/Sniper (OD Green, not the black Ultimate Varmint stock) for it. I threw some Burris Xtreme Tactical rings and bases on it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x fixed-power, mil-dot scope... The thing is wicked accurate!

I bought the gun new and everything else was purchased (new) on eBay for less than retail. All told, I think I have about $1000 in the whole setup. And I couldn't be happier with it.

Sniper4Life
June 21, 2007, 09:14 AM
You can get a Mcmillan stocked savage for about $800, I would go for it, if there are none avalibe, get the hs. I have a 12fv and even with a pos barska on it, it shoots like a dream, but a super sniper is on the way, and my new stock is suposed to arrive today..... total setup will be less than 1k but it outshoots my 1st cousins, remington "tactical" Idk what the number is, But his gun ran him close to 2k, and mine outshoots his.........:D

Slim Geezer
June 21, 2007, 05:14 PM
I'm looking at putting a Knoxx Axiom V/S stock on it, so I figured I'd just get the standard stock. Now I just have to find a 10FP. I called the shops in the area; they don't stock them. I guess I'll just have to find one and have it shipped to the FFL I use from time to time.

Sunray
June 21, 2007, 05:44 PM
"...Are they all the same except for..." Yep. Sometimes the finish is different too. Otherwise they're all the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 10FP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!