Taurus 444 ultralite?

PDA

timmyb21
June 21, 2007, 04:15 PM
Anyone have one? I currently have a 608 and would like to replace the heavyweight .357 with a lightweight .44. I only use it for mountain carry, and the .357 is actually starting to make my back hurt while carrying (I have a degenerative back problem that kept me out of the military). I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with one. Thanks guys...Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus 444 ultralite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
timmyb21
June 21, 2007, 11:34 PM
No one has one?

big44
June 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
I've handled them at the gunshop and some gunshows. I don't actually own one but I've been tempted several times to get one. I think the frame is an aluminum alloy and the cylinder is titanium. Before I actually buy one I'd like to hear how the frame, if it's aluminum, stands up to 44 magnum rounds.

Old Fuff
June 24, 2007, 03:35 PM
I have several Taurus revolvers, and am well satisfied. But 444 Ultralite is one I have no interest in. I've seen too many problems with Titanium cylinders chambered in heavy magnum calibers, and I won't even get into the question of amuminum frames.

Concerning your back problem. I would suggest that you look into supporting the belt you carry(any) gun on with a pair of suspenders to help distribute the weight.

Glockman17366
June 24, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm with Old Fuff on this one.
Might take a look at a Tracker...they're smaller then the 608.

roscoe
June 25, 2007, 02:20 AM
Wouldn't you do better with a lighter .357? The other concern would be the recoil on a lightweight .44 magnum. Ouch is all I can say.

As for the back issue - if you carry on your belt, it shouldn't really hurt your back. I carry my SP101 in a Safepacker on my pack belt and my hips carry all the weight (fellow back sufferer here).

Glockman17366
June 25, 2007, 07:39 AM
Well, it's a gun to be carried a lot and shot very little. With any gun, I think it's prudent to put 100-200 rounds through it ASAP. This especially applies if it's going to be a self defense weapon (as I assume this one will be).
I'd reckon this one will be a bruiser to shoot...but no need to shoot more then 5-6 rounds at a time (space that test firing out).
Gotta admit, it does look pretty cool...but I'd still go for a stainless .357 first.

JaxNovice
June 25, 2007, 08:20 AM
For mountain carry I would say that the Taurus Ultralite .44 is a fine choice. Don't expect it to be fun to shoot but it will protect you from almost anything out there. I fired one a few times and I came to three conclusions:

1) It is really light!

2) I cannot imagine a gun with more recoil or a gun that is more unpleasant to shoot.

3) I feel sorry for any being on the wrong end of that barrell.

salthouse
June 25, 2007, 10:21 AM
I've got one and I really like it. I don't agree with Jax on item #2. Its stout but not that bad. 44Spl is moderate. VERY light weight. I use it for wilderness carry and have 100% confidence in it. A number of friends told me I was crazy to buy it, but like to shoot it too. If you are considering one, keep in mind it probably has no re-sale value.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus 444 ultralite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!