Snake huntin' air gun...

PDA

kcmarine
June 21, 2007, 03:58 PM
Well, we have a snake problem. That little sumbitch is eating the fish in our pond. Right now, the gun I'm using for "pond defense" is a Daisy Powerline .177 caliber single- shot air rifle. I figured the little .177 caliber round isn't going to be enough to kill the snake in one shot, and it would take some time to reload.

What kind of rifle/ pistol should I use for PD? All suggestions MUST, I repeat, MUST be air powered. No firearms. Thanks for your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Snake huntin' air gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hrgrisso
June 21, 2007, 04:11 PM
This sounds of desperation...

Have you thought about using harsh language? Bad Feelings?

Just kidding!

Maybe a bow and arrow? Spear it? Sorry man, air powered cerainly puts a damper on things...

kcmarine
June 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah... that does sound a bit sad, someone asking what kind of gun to shoot a snake with.

I do have a .410 shotgun down in the safe that would be perfect for this, but alas, I live in city limits.

hexidismal
June 21, 2007, 04:21 PM
That's a hard one. It's not so easy to even hit a moving snake with an air rifle , let alone kill it. I'm no expert on air guns, but I might think if you absolutely needed to use one for a snake problem, maybe one of those crossman co2 1077s (yeah , I looked it up) would be best. At least then you'd have some more shots. Realistically though, I don't think the pellet rifle is the right tool for the job. When I was a younger fella I remember nailing a couple snakes with one of those crossman double action .177 revolvers that look like pythons. Eventually it would do the job, but they aren't very easy to hit with follow up shots unless you make a miraculous head shot on your first. If this is a snake you encounter on land surrounding the pond, quite frankly you might be MUCH better off just whacking it with a shovel.

.45Guy
June 21, 2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

Ed
June 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
Seriously.....I have killed many snakes with a 30 year old red ryder bb gun. A shot to the head will kill them. Use what you have. Even if he doesn't die right away he will if you hit him right. At least he won't be hungry for a while.

SaMx
June 21, 2007, 05:15 PM
that air shotgun has really low power.
How much are you willing to spend?
some of the PCP (pre charged pneumatic) guns are very powerful and can have follow up shots pretty fast.
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?cmd_category=show&category_id=2
otherwise go for a co2 pellet gun.
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?cmd_category=show&category_id=11
make sure you get a rifle, air pistols tend to have really low velocity.

glockman19
June 21, 2007, 05:19 PM
For Snakes, rats and other vermin a .38, 9mm or other gun with #9 shot pellits is the best defense.

The Deer Hunter
June 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

I have heard that the shot in those arent able to penetrate cardboard at around 8 yards. Not by just the internet or something, but by a guy I know personally if it matters.

Will Learn
June 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
sounds like its time for the Drozd, http://www.airgundepot.com/eaa-drozd.html

vnepilot
June 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
maybe something like gamo's air shotgun?

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/GAMO_Viper_Express_Air_Rifle_p/gmo611022555.htm

If anyone knows about this I would also like to know, my parents have a snake problem and are a little uncomfortable with firearms.

Bottom Gun
June 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
Why even bother with an air gun? Just take his head off with a hoe or a shovel.

wilson
June 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
A good quality pellet gun will kill a snake. Just get one for $40 at Wal Mart. Pump it up about ten times and make sure you hit it.

kcmarine
June 21, 2007, 06:55 PM
Why even bother with an air gun? Just take his head off with a hoe or a shovel.

For the thrill of the hunt.:D:p

bakert
June 21, 2007, 07:04 PM
Most any of the pump up airguns will kill a snake if the shot is placed right but aren't you being a bit harsh over a few fish. Poor old snake's gotta make a living too.

kcmarine
June 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
He can make a living... just not on my Koi. Those things are expensive, man...I don't have a problem with the snake, but he ate my fish. Game over.

RecoilRob
June 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
I like the Drozd...plenty of power for the job but I wonder about the sealing capabilities of the CO2 system and the ability to keep it loaded and ready for 'action'.

Another option would be one of the high-end Airsoft AEG's. Shooting .25grm 6mm BB's @ 400fps with pretty good accuracy should make the snakes day a really bad one. My AE MP-5 runs about 900rpm and will easily kill a bird with a few hits. I'd imagine a snake would not survive being pummelled with a few dozen hits about the head and neck...plus, the shooting into water would be great fun. And, with 250 rounds in the magazine and a fully charged battery, you aren't likely to run out of ammo before the deed is done.

As long as you have got to do a dirty job, you might as well enjoy it!

vnepilot
June 21, 2007, 07:47 PM
id worry about the koi eating the airsoft pellets or the lead, i dont know what koi eat but my cichlids eat food about the same size as airsoft ammo. But i did see biodegradable airsoft ammo awhile back

kcmarine
June 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
I'd have to wait until the snake got out of the water before the shot. You're not supposed to shoot at water... but that won't be too much of a problem.

Sheesh. This thread has gotten more responses than I thought it would... like a bunch of middle aged men talking about spud guns...

hounddog
June 23, 2007, 06:54 PM
How about the 22 calibri's that are primer fired only. Super quiet out of a rifle. Have a crack out of a pistol. Alot of the high velocity air guns have quite a crack as well. Much louder than the calibri's. So far as their lethality, I have used them on coons and possum's when hunting at night when I didn't want to wake the neighbors. Shot placement is essential, I must add.

dstorm1911
June 23, 2007, 07:21 PM
if its eatin goldfish its a garder snake just catch it and put it in a pillow case totally harmless.......... now the Mohave rattler that lives in a 50 gallon cage in my livin room is another matter ;) She has 4 Kingsnakes that live in the same room in case she decides to act up I let the kings loose and she becomes lunch...... The Pythons she's kill in half a heart beat but the kings are snake eaters and immune to her venom... Theres ya an idea, depending on where what part of the country ya live in get a Kingsnake to move in he'll have the garder for dinner as well as any rodents etc... will not touch goldfish and is very friendly generally speaking

The Garder snake might hiss at ya but its totally harmless and will generally try to avoid ya....

joab
June 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
For the thrill of the hunt.I agree with dstorm
If wnat the thrill of the hunt reach out and grab the little sucker

I do it all day long

KINGMAX
June 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
177 pellet rifle

usmccpl
June 23, 2007, 07:37 PM
If you got to wait til he is on land anyway wack him with a stick or something. Or do what my grand dad taught me to do which is snatch him up by the tip of his tail and pop it like a bullwhip.

jimbob1911
June 23, 2007, 08:36 PM
Saw this in the latest edition of field and stream, supposedly a guy took a wild boar with it...should be enough for a little ol' snake:D

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0039860228161a.shtml

Crunker1337
June 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
A high-end airsoft gun could work, but I wouldn't pay $250+ to find out. If you want to get into airsoft though this is a great excuse.

How about the Crosman 357? 10 shot .177 revolver. 4", 6", 8" barrels available. And cheap! You can get it for under $40 easy.
It's relatively weak, but ten shots should make short work of the serpent. Uses CO2 cartridges.

Geronimo45
June 23, 2007, 10:38 PM
How about the Crosman 357? 10 shot .177 revolver. 4", 6", 8" barrels available. And cheap! You can get it for under $40 easy.
It's relatively weak, but ten shots should make short work of the serpent. Uses CO2 cartridges.
Ten? I thought it was eight. Haven't used it in ages, though. The 357 Crosman is a great pick. Pretty darned accurate, plenty of power for close ranges (it's vicious on plastic army men). There's probably non-lead pellets available now, if you don't want lead.
Used one to wipe out a snake before - chicken snake. Had that gun for years now - the manual safety broke and was removed. The gun still functions perfectly, though.

Now, the Crosman PPKs - can't recommend them for this purpose... might work, but accuracy seemed pretty poor with the two models I got (and got rid of).

Crunker1337
June 23, 2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for your input Geronimo45, and BTW I checked and the capacity is indeed 10 (on the new one anyway, here's (http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1051) Crosman's page on it)

It even has a rifled barrel. Yowza.

rangerruck
June 24, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ive got that same power line, pump yours up 5 times, though it says one pump. Pump it 5 times, max. make sure you zero it in , very well.
you shoot it at the base of that snake's head, and you will likely take it right off.

Bones11b
June 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
I actually own and have hunted varmint with this air rifle by winchester. Picked mine up at the local sports authority for around $140.00. Tru glo sights come in handy. It's a single pump single shot .177 pellet rifle. For target practice and fun I use copper hollow point pellets on full soda cans. The cans explode if you shake them first and the hollow points leave huge exit holes.

http://www.airgundepot.com/winchester-air-rifles-1000sb.html

Fast Frank
June 24, 2007, 02:42 AM
Look at the good stuff, you might find that a real adult air rifle is something you would enjoy shooting.

http://www.beeman.com/

Mot45acp
June 24, 2007, 01:28 PM
I know with chicken snakes we use ceramic eggs. Maybe some kind of plastic/ceramic fish?

rantingredneck
June 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
LOL, this brings back memories. I stalked a northern water snake in my pond for a year and a half before I finally caught and killed him.

I shot him once in the head with a crossman CO2 powered BB pistol (450fps) at a range of about 8ft. He went down under the water and then a few seconds later came splashing out and headed for the woods where I lost him. I caught him by hand once but he bit me and I reflexively let go. They're not poisonous but one as big as he was (he was well fed on my fish by this point) bites hard and it hurts. I tried various tongs and other methods of capture but it's not easy to catch one in an 800 gallon pond full of plants and fish. Finally caught up with him last spring/early summer. He was hiding out under the slate waterfall that I was moving to another corner of the pond. As I moved the first piece of slate I saw him coiled up through a crack in the slate. I got the brushhook out of the shed and the rest is history.

Hopefully you have better airgun luck than I did. The only thing I can offer is that a 450fps BB was not enough to kill the one I shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Snake huntin' air gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!