I promise this is my last post for advice on a pistol :D

PDA

bhhacker
June 22, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hey guys..i finally KNOW what features I want in my pistol.

1.SA trigger

2.Accurate to about 25 yards...thats all ill ever need, and if I need more i'll just use my rifle. :P

3.I want the trigger to have no slack whatsoever, I want to just barely pull on it and have it go off. I like it to be stiff and then just give away...(I hope im describing it halfway clear for you guys)That way im suprised each time i pull it and im not flinching at the slack point.

4.I am comfortable with getting a 9mm,.40, or .45...but id rather have the last two.

5.I would like the gun to hold 10-12+ rounds

6.Price range can be up to $650 (I sold that Sigma)

Thank you guys for your time. Who would have known that picking a handgun would be so darn hard. I have heard that rock arms has got some decent .45s that would be well in my price range. What do you guys have to say about that?

If you enjoyed reading about "I promise this is my last post for advice on a pistol :D" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quoheleth
June 22, 2007, 04:50 PM
Rock Islands are available in a classic 1911A1 .45 ACP platform. Decent trigger, I would guess about a 5-6 lb trigger, plenty accurate for what you describe, but only 7+1 rounds. Cost - about $350 for base GI model.

Go down to McBrides tomorrow and look at the PLETHORA of 1911s they have - both new and used. They'll have a whole bunch of 1911s that fit under your price range used; a handful new.

Check out the Springfield XD, too. It's technically a SA auto, but without the hammer like the 1911 has. Whether 9, 40 or 45, it's a high capacity pistol. An XD will eat up the vast majority of your budget, though.

Since you're new to pistols, a suggestion may be to get a good, used 1911 and a brand new Ruger .22/45. The Ruger has a 1911 style grip angle; use it to learn the basics of trigger squeeze, sight picture, etc. You'll get a WHOLE bunch more range time out of $10 worth of ammo than out of a .45, .40 or even 9mm.

Happy shopping!!!

Q

MikePGS
June 22, 2007, 04:59 PM
As far as mag capacity there aren't too many options if you want a single action. Though the following guns are single action: Taurus 24/7, Browning Hi-Power, Sig Sauer SAO PT220. I'm sure i'm missing a ton, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

mavracer
June 22, 2007, 05:02 PM
look at a STI spartan

Quoheleth
June 22, 2007, 05:04 PM
STIs are made just up the road in Georgetown!!!

CountGlockula
June 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
The way you're picking out a handgun isn't "hard", but smart. When all is said and done: You're putting in good money on quality.

Good luck with your purchase!

browningguy
June 22, 2007, 05:29 PM
You can get a BHP Practical in .40 (10+1) at Gander Mountain for $599 new. Hard to beat that, you'll need to remove the magazine disconnect to get the trigger decent, but even a hamfisted Neanderthal like me can do that. That's my regular carry gun with Esmerelda grips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Pistols/PracticalCocoboloGrips1.jpg

bhhacker
June 22, 2007, 11:27 PM
So which ones are better? The Rock or STI or springfield 1911s? Or is it just opinion?

Autolycus
June 23, 2007, 12:00 AM
I would look at an HK USP or USPc in .40 S&W.

ugaarguy
June 23, 2007, 12:04 AM
1.SA trigger
3.I want the trigger to have no slack whatsoever, I want to just barely pull on it and have it go off. I like it to be stiff and then just give away...(I hope im describing it halfway clear for you guys)That way im suprised each time i pull it and im not flinching at the slack point.
Right up to here you're describing a 1911. With a little work a good gunsmith can eliminate the take-up (slack before the trigger breaks) and overtravel (excess distance the trigger moves after it breaks). I've felt others that have come close, but the way the internals of a 1911 work means nothing will match it when set-up correctly.
4.I am comfortable with getting a 9mm,.40, or .45...but id rather have the last two.
You're still talkin 1911 here.
5.I would like the gun to hold 10-12+ rounds
Single stack 1911 .45s are 7 or 8 in a flush fit mag, with those in 9mm/.38 Super/ .40 S&W/ 10mm gaining a round. At this point you're looking at a double stack 1911 to get the capacity you really want in a caliber you really want.
6.Price range can be up to $650 (I sold that Sigma)
Para-Ordnance, Springfield Armory Double Stack, or the BUL Transmark M5 from Israel -formerly known as the Kimber BP Ten II, but now imported as the BUL M5 by Charles Daly fit that budget. Alternately save your money a bit longer and go all the way for an STI 2011. If you can compromise and stick with a single stack 1911 a base Springfield Loaded, Rock Island, or STI Spartan would be my top picks for a new gun. Colts, and older Kimbers (those made before the II Series) are generally good values on the used market.

browningguy
June 23, 2007, 12:08 AM
The other option I should have mentioned is the Witness Elite Match. In .40 it's a 15+1 pistol, and more accurate than than it has any right to be. It will way outshoot my BHP Competition, and I use it now for IDPA. It comes from the factory with a very sweet 2-3 pound SA trigger (the best you'll find on any factory pistol) and very good adjustable sights. It's a big pistol though and not suited to carry for most people, but for a range gun it's extraordinary, all for under $500.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Pistols/WitnessMatch2.jpg

10-Ring
June 23, 2007, 01:37 AM
From what you've described, I'd recommend the HK USP in which ever caliber that works best in your hands.

Alphazulu6
June 23, 2007, 01:43 AM
I would have to agree with 10-Ring on the HK USP b/c Kimber is slightly out of your price range. Good Luck!

SouthpawShootr
June 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen a sub-$700 USP in quite some time. At least NIB. Used can be found in the mid-$500 to $600 range. They're fine guns, but the trigger is going to be in 8-12 lbs and there will be considerable takeup on the single action pull. If you were to get a USP pattern in .45, I'd suggest the USP Compact in .45. These are nice.

I've seen Kimber Custom IIs for right at $650 new. Local shop had one in the used case for $500. Lasted about 3 days. Almost tempted me. Maybe look at Charles Daly for the BUL M-5. 1911 format. High capacity. Polymer frame. My personal preference would be a Kimber TLE II (about $750 around here), but it's also a single stack :(.

Now if you set yourself to look around, you may be able to find a Para-Ordnance P13 gently used for cheap. I stumbled across an all stainless on at a local gunshow for $450. The dealer could have sold it as NIB. Didn't have a scratch on it. Mags are expensive and the thing is heavy. It's got an excellent production trigger and, being 1911 format, I'm sure a good gunsmith can work it through so that it's even better.

If you enjoyed reading about "I promise this is my last post for advice on a pistol :D" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!