Down to Two for CCW - Any Thoughts

PDA

finalcut
June 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
I've got it down to the CZP06 / It is new and just like the P01 but in .40 Cal
http://www.cz-usa.com/products_handguns.php

Or - the Para Carry .45 GAP
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/para45gap_050806/index.html

This is after several weeks of research. The problem that I am facing is that I am unable to hold each one as I live in Alaska, and nobody carries these. So if any of you out there can help that would be great.

These guns have the size, and features that I want - that is why I like them.

SA/DA
Decocker / Saftey
Good Cal
Good sights
Light & Small for carry

If you enjoyed reading about "Down to Two for CCW - Any Thoughts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
obiwan1
June 24, 2007, 03:55 PM
Which caliber can you find in your local Wally World (or Trading Post if you're THAT far north). Prob .40. Prob not 45GAP. Otherwise find something in 9mm or .45ACP.:)

PracticeFreedom
June 24, 2007, 04:08 PM
I'd go with the CZ if forced to pick from those 2. Had Para-junk once (numerous parts breakage, sent back twice for 2 different parts, sent to a gunsmith once for a third broken part, never was reliable even when all broken parts were replaced) No way in "heck" would I trust my life to that company.
Never owned a CZ but always hear great things about them, besides, it CAN'T be worse than Para. Also, agree with above poster that .40 is FAR more common than .45 GAP.

If cost isn't a factor, take a hard look at Sigs.

Lonestar49
June 24, 2007, 04:40 PM

First, I don't know if this is your first handgun, but, if it is, or you have little time with pistols, I'd go CZ, for a few good reasons.

More forgiving in the recoil

Far less likely to jam, do to recoil which, with a small 3" barrel, you will have to deal with, using a tight/firing arm with 2-hand grip, always, or else, it if you limp-wrist, it will jam, I promise ya that.

Second, maybe some day, some time, some place, you're gonna only be able to get off a first, possible the first 2 shots using one hand, and with the CZ you will be able to do this, by learning thru time and feel.

It's gonna take you far longer to understand, how un-forgiving the smaller 3" gun is in one hand, or weak hand, shots, let alone, a weak 2-hand grip.

Can be done, but with time, and experience, thru mucho practice.

Even if the smaller one is a 45cal, the kick, recoil is there, as I have a 3" Colt Defender, and one thing I can also tell you, as with many that own either 3" models, the flush, factory mags, for whatever reason, have a tendency to jam on the 3rd shot, time after time, and after the 1st shot if you have a max load, one chambered, 7 in the mag..

This can be eliminated, least in my experience and others, thru buying some Wilson Combat mags, as they have cured any, and all, jam problems with my Colt.

Good luck with the new CZ.. hehehe, I hope. The 3" are great guns, but not one I would start off with, and CCW as well, until up the road, thru technique and time.

Oh, and maybe you should chk out some 4" and 4 1/4" barreled 45's as well, then you won't have a recoil issue, nor a one hand shot issue. Some nice ones out there, and you gain 1 more shot in a magazine, and 1 more, for 9 shot total, with a max, one chambered, load, with only a slight grip/height gain of just under 1/2'.

Colt and Para, Sig, SA, to start..

IMPO, I'd start off with a min, 4" / 4 1/4" barreled 45, bar none, (basically little learning curve) and save yourself the much longer learning curve of the 40cal.

MY BAD: sorry, just caught the SA/DA must have.. hmmm, I can only tell you that it did not take long for me to change my mind about first, a safety/decocker, into having just a decocker-only gun, MUCH better IMO, and not long after that to buy and learn-FAST, the beauty of the 1911's Safety only, SA only, cocked and locked, as it is really safe, when you "understand" what it is about all guns, makes them safe, or not, thru lack of education.

Best of luck, go CZ or find a SA/DA in min 4" to 4 1/4" barreled 45cal for the best of all worlds to start off with.

LS

sfmittels
June 24, 2007, 05:07 PM
Both are quality firearms, and I think you'd be happy with either. Personally, as I've gained experience and training with CCW firearms, I've grown a bit nervous with a SA 1911 design. Maybe it's because I'm left-handed, prefer ambidextrous safeties on my 1911s, and have rare experiences with the gun being taken off-safe on its own while holstered - that ambi safety doubles your chances of the safety brushing up against something.

The .45 GAP looks like a fine caliber on paper. My crystal ball isn't clear enough to have any sense of where it will be ten years from now.

I thought my firearms inventory was complete (what heresy!), until I saw the CZ P01. And if the P01 lights my fire, I'm totally fascinated by the Armalite AR-24, which is a CZ clone with a forged frame and glowing reviews. Happy shopping!

10-Ring
June 24, 2007, 07:29 PM
Not having had any experience w/ either pistol, I would base my decision only on ammo availability & recommend the 40 cal -- I may not be a fan of the caliber, but it should be more readily available than the 45 GAP

MikeRussell
June 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
As long as your grip style doesn't interfere with the decocker, then P06 all the way. I was planning on getting a P01/P06 as a CCW, but the way I grip a pistol ends up with a potential problem during follow up shots with how the decocker is placed on them. Instead, I'm looking to the CZ75 Compacts with conventional safeties.

rdaines
June 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
Just base on caliber and ammo, I'd do the 40 S&W.

finalcut
June 24, 2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I do have & train with a 1911 Colt ww2, an XD40 4", and a S&W 629 6" for the woods....

I am leaning towards the CZ, and my only concern is the potential of it jamming. I will talk to CZ about this concern, and keep you all posted : )

blackcharlie
June 24, 2007, 10:23 PM
go for the para

Dr_2_B
June 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
I have the Para C6. Not very impressed. It has had several FTF/FTEs.

I also have a CZ RAMI. Love it.

Lonestar49
June 24, 2007, 10:50 PM
Quote: I do have & train with a 1911 Colt ww2, an XD40 4", and a S&W 629 6" for the woods....
--------------

AH!! then you're good to go with the Para Carry 45cal for CCW, HD/SD, and with the SA/DA you want.

You should have no problems getting a quick, accurate feel with it.

Only thing is, I would most definitely order some Wilson Combat Mags for it, and use only 230gr FMJ or JHP with that short barrel.

As I said, I love my Colt Defender 3" barrel, 45cal.. damn accurate, amazing little gun.

LS

If you enjoyed reading about "Down to Two for CCW - Any Thoughts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!