My First 1911a1, Springfield Armory GI, opinions? (pics inside)

PDA

nate392
June 26, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hey everyone, im fairly new to getting interested in the 1911 so for my first purchase in these I went for the springfield armory 1911a1 GI. I paid 465.00, and the only thing I have for complaints is the factory grips, which I later changed to late war Remington Rand ones. I'm a big war buff, so I wanted to try and resemble WW2 issue. In my opinion they really are nice guns that keep with a design that represented a great era that you don't see anymore in firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First 1911a1, Springfield Armory GI, opinions? (pics inside)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CountGlockula
June 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
That's a great choice. I was thinking of picking it up too, because of the retro/classic look also. How does it shoot? Have you had any issues with it, besides the grip?

flashman70
June 26, 2007, 02:21 PM
Good 1911 to start with. If you want you can get custom work done and get lots of extras for it.

trickyasafox
June 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
I went with the milspec. Mine has a pretty tight chamber, and i gotta run all my rounds through a FCD for it, but other than that its a great shooting gun that doesn't give me any trouble with most feed profiles. I'm still working on a SWC load for it though.

johndoe1027
June 26, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm a big stainless fan but they are nice guns for a great price. A VERY good bargain.

Congrats, now go shoot it (a lot) and post the results. :)

nate392
June 26, 2007, 03:35 PM
countglockula, i have not yet broke her in yet, so no issues yet lol but i have been told it eats anything you feed it

jad0110
June 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
Nice gun! I have a Mil-Spec on order, and I'm thinking of adding vintage grips like yours.

Where did they come from / $$$ ???

RancidSumo
June 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
I was looking at picking one of these up on Saturday. If anyone has shot one before, could you please post some info on it. Is it a good gun for a begining handgun shooter?

nate392
June 26, 2007, 07:38 PM
jad0110 i picked the grips up at
[http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=201_262]
15 bucks

johndoe1027
June 26, 2007, 09:40 PM
IMVHO, the SA Mil-Spec (not to be confused with a older "Mil-Spec GI") is the best value out there unless you are a purist. In which case the SA GI is the best value out there. The Mil-Spec has A LOT more features and "improvements" for the added $100 (or so). They are both great guns backed by a great customer service department.

I started with a loaded only because I watched a buddy spend over a grand to make his GI about as nice as a "loaded". I got my loaded for a lot less than that. IF you are planning on hot-rodding it or competing with it, a "loaded" model might be a better deal for you.

That said, I just traded for a Auto-Ordnance GI (don't have the loaded anymore :( ) that I'm going to slowly turn into something in between a Mil-spec and a loaded. I just want to make that journey this time and learn some stuff along the way instead of having it be bada$$ right out of the box.

+1 for the 5" 1911, no matter the flavor :)

jad0110
June 26, 2007, 10:50 PM
jad0110 i picked the grips up at
[http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=201_262]
15 bucks

Awesome nate, thanks for the link ... I just ordered a pair, I can't wait! It would be cool if my grips and my Mil-Spec arrived on the same day.

IMVHO, the SA Mil-Spec (not to be confused with a older "Mil-Spec GI") is the best value out there unless you are a purist. In which case the SA GI is the best value out there. The Mil-Spec has A LOT more features and "improvements" for the added $100 (or so). They are both great guns backed by a great customer service department.

You're not the only one that shares that opinion. As you said, the Springer GI (and the Rock Island GI) are excellent values for purists, and the SA Mil-Spec is a great value for a purist looking for better sights and a lowered/flared ejection port. In my area, the Mil-Spec sells for about $60 more than the GI, so it made sense for me.

And yes, Springfield's customer service is second to none. Check out this thread over on 1911Forum.com:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=174946

Trust me, you will be glued to your computer for all 7 to 8 pages to get to the resolution (NO CHEATING!!!) :neener: . Makes me want to buy more Springfield 1911s.

mavracer
June 26, 2007, 11:09 PM
love mine, only 1 jam happened sunday my fault, limp wristed weak hand.other than that 100% shoots great will put all 230 gr anything in 4" bull at 15 yards,if I do my part.

6Gunslinger
June 27, 2007, 03:56 AM
just picked her up for a cool $425. I got some early WWII walnut grips to complete the classic look. I was going to go with the plastic but these still have the dark brown classic look that I wanted and they feel really good... they were only $16 off of ebay.

sm
June 27, 2007, 04:03 AM
nate392,

Welcome to THR, and congrats on your new gun!

I /we have taken that same gun, and like you, changed to wood stocks and just shot the darn things a lot. Yes more than one of this and the other "basic" GI model.
They run, and we use the 7 round mags.

I prefer a bone stock Gov't Model of 1911 anyway, always have.

Enjoy!

If you enjoyed reading about "My First 1911a1, Springfield Armory GI, opinions? (pics inside)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!