9MM Largo

PDA

Walkalong
June 26, 2007, 03:20 PM
I know a little about it, but.

Will 9mm shellplates work? What about dies? Will 9mm, 38 Super, etc. work or does it take 9MM Largo dies specifically? RCBS dies are $150 at midway! .355 bullets? Pressure it operates at? I know Starline makes brass now and folks used to have to make it from other calibers.

Any thoughts will help. Eyeing a Star in 9MM Largo. It's Purty. Thanks. AC

I found some good info on the net (http://9mmlargo.com/cartridge/loads.htm), but am interested in hands on experience from fellow THR folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "9MM Largo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M39SKY
June 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
I have 2 Star 9mm Largo pistols. When reloading I use RCBS #16 shell plate. I use Lee 9x19 dies to size the shells (Starline 9mm Largo) but the shell holder that came with the die is not holding the shell well enough, that why the RCBS #16. On mine I use .356 bullets because the barrels on both my pistols shows wear. In fact, the muzzles will swallow the .356 bullets deeper than my 38 Super would.
I also lucked out on e-bay one time when I bid on mixed stamp 38 Super brass. Over half of the 1600 brass were MCM brand with rim smaller than regular 38 Super brass and they fit just fine on one of the Largo's. Some people use 9x23 brass. But I would suggest just getting the Starline for proper headstamp. My load is 8.5gr of A#7 behind 130gr jacketed bullet. I also load 9gr of A#7 behind 115gr .355 for plinking. There are on the light side, with me taking into consideration the age of the steel. The reason I am using Accurate #7 powder is because it's the only handgun powder I have and it seems to work on most pistols. Now, my take on Star9mm Largo is that they are great pistols, easier to shoot than 38 Super (for me) and almost never fails. I had more trouble with my Kimber 38 Super than these Largos. The only thing I don't like is the firing pin set up. In mine, the rear sight must be removed to get the firing pin out. And when there's enough fouling going into the firing pin hole (carbon, oil. dirt, etc..) there is a tendency to have light primer hits.

Walkalong
June 28, 2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I bought the pistol. I am going to get some Starline brass and some .38 Super dies and have a go at it. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "9MM Largo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!