Handled a Hi-Point today

PDA

CannonFodder
June 29, 2007, 09:55 PM
So, after the last couple thread here, I decided to give the much-maligned Hi-Point a fondle at the gun shop down the street from my workplace.

Colosimo's in Philly.

I asked to handle their Hi-Point in .45 ACP. Now, the dang thing is still just about the ugliest firearm ever created, but I was struck by the fact that it didn't feel quite like the brick I remember. The grip felt a bit slight for a .45, though it pointed true enough. The sights were ok - nothing special, but they lined up fine. Naturally, I didn't get to feel the weight of the pistol with a full mag and one in the pipe, but, overall, it didn't feel too bad. Were I in the mood to spend money, I might even consider picking one up and giving it a test.

In fact, if I can find one at a good price, I might consider giving one as a starter gun to a friend who has been wanting to get into shooting, but hasn't been able to afford a gun up to now.

Oh, and by the way, don't buy your guns at the place I went; that Hi-Point I handled... was $395.

To hell with that!

If you enjoyed reading about "Handled a Hi-Point today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
June 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
that Hi-Point I handled... was $395.:what: How soon do you expect this place to be out of business? :barf:

lamazza
June 29, 2007, 10:28 PM
Handled a Hi-Point today
Did it break? lol

CannonFodder
June 29, 2007, 10:32 PM
How soon do you expect this place to be out of business?

From what I've been told, they have "an arrangement" with the Philly Police Department.

Ergo.

Never.

elrod
June 29, 2007, 10:47 PM
CannonFodder
that Hi-Point I handled...was $395

I suppose they dont sell many at that price, but then, they don't have to sell many at that kinda price.;)

karlsgunbunker
June 30, 2007, 12:12 AM
that Hi-Point I handled...was $395

Wish I had his profit margin!

Only problem with Hi-Points is the "Felt recoil" from the heavy slide.
In a side by side shoot they just don't compare to more expensive guns.

FieroCDSP
June 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
Geeze....the highest I've seen a 9mm or 40 was $119. I've read a few posts from people who have bravely admitted they've shot one. They said it wasn't too bad. Just ugly.

jefnvk
June 30, 2007, 02:25 AM
Never shot a pistol. I own a 9mm carbine, and for the $70 I paid, I have absolutely no complaints. Customer service is great, bought mine used with no back sight, they sent me a new one free of charge, heck, free of shipping. Damn ugly, but it works, and works quite well.

hirundo82
June 30, 2007, 04:01 AM
Only problem with Hi-Points is the "Felt recoil" from the heavy slide.
In a side by side shoot they just don't compare to more expensive guns.From what I have heard, their slides have to be that heavy since all their handgun actions are direct blowback, and if the slide weren't so overbulit it would destroy itself.

I can't imagine what the recoil from a direct blowback .45 ACP would feel like as it doesn't absorb recoil as well as a recoil operated action (hence why .380 has more felt recoil than a similar 9mm). I do not think I have ever heard of any firearm besides a Hi-Point using a direct blowback action with a round more powerful than 9mm Makarov.

greener
June 30, 2007, 07:43 AM
Shot a High Point .45 last fall. 1.5" group at 17 yards. I don't recall anything exceptional about the recoil. The grip seemed to be pretty good. The pistol got on target well. I've shot the HP 9mm and recall that it did pretty well at 25 yards. I'm no great shakes as a shooter, so something has to be said about a pistol I can pick up cold and shoot well. Will probably end up with one if I can find a dealer that isn't quite so proud of them.

James NM
June 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
Handled a Hi-Point today

Don't worry. It'll wash right off with a little soap & hot water.

KD7ONE
June 30, 2007, 06:29 PM
One thing to remember about a Hi-Point handgun.......looks don't get the job done.

CajunBass
June 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
Handled a Hi-Point today

Now you've gone and done it. It's in your system now, and you will be drawn back to make it your own.

(Well not for $395.00, but you'll fine one cheaper.)

wolf_from_wv
June 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
$395????????????????? :what::what::eek::banghead:

I thought $270 for one with a laser was too much.

I could have bought a RIA 1911 for $300..............

There are two HiPoint .45s in a black case in the other room...

One was $159.99

The other was $110 on sale...

Picknlittle
June 30, 2007, 10:27 PM
I haven't been into pistols for some time. I've heard of high point, but never fired or handled one. I did just check out an article that call the 45 acp and the 40 2006 handgun of the year. I can deal with plain, are they reliable?

GaryArkansas
July 1, 2007, 06:01 PM
I've got a Hi-Point 9mm, and it handles and shoots like any other handgun I have. It is a bit top heavy and is only a single stack, but at its price point and for its intended purpose, it does fine.

I sent mine in for warranty service. It was free and fast.

10-Ring
July 1, 2007, 09:23 PM
I've got a buddy that bought one on sale for $89 several years ago -- he figured it was cheap enough to be his truck gun & if he didn't like it he could turn it in at one of those $50 county gun buy backs.
Well, well all had our turns at shooting it & then quickly gave our criticsms of it....
Bottom line -- at least he got $50 bucks back :rolleyes:

ffrobbyrob
July 2, 2007, 12:19 AM
I have the C9. Was the second handgun I bought. First one was the S&W 22 Sport. I like the C9. Shoots very well. Most people that have problems with them do not have them or even shot them. They are fugly but reliable and who can be the price with that warranty.

Im283
July 2, 2007, 12:20 AM
I have a Hi-Point .40 S&W and it is a decent pistol. Seems most of the criticizing comes from those who do not own one or have never shot one.

It is more accurate than my Smith and Wesson 9mm. The only trouble with mine was it did not like Wolf ammo and if shooting without a firm grasp and good wrist position is might stovepipe once in a while. If I shoot with proper grip it has never failed, period.

Some of the older models have problems with the magazine. But i believe those troubles have been addressed and corrected.

If you get one I recommend you buy one that is brand new. I paid $177 for a new one, but shop around some, I think you may find a better price if you look.

Axman
July 2, 2007, 10:37 PM
I have tried a HiPoint in 9mm and was rather surprised by the performance. I always thought they were a bit ugly but last week I went and ordered one. Personally I'm not a gun-snob, it shouldn't matter what kind of of gun you like to shoot just as long as you shoot. If you like a S&W or a Lorcin who cares?

gandog56
July 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
I had the Hi-Point 45. The thing DID feel like a brick on my hand.......a HEAVY brick. I was guaranteed to have two-three jams per clip, no matter how well I cleaned and lubed it. Never again.:fire:

Mike_in_OC
July 6, 2007, 03:39 AM
In fact, if I can find one at a good price, I might consider giving one as a starter gun to a friend who has been wanting to get into shooting, but hasn't been able to afford a gun up to now.

If you want to help a friend get into shooting and keep them shooting I would not give them a highpoint. Get a .22 for the same price.

innerpiece
July 6, 2007, 04:09 AM
$395.lolol... I got a Kahr fer that price...... NIB
and a taurus PT111SSP milpro for $315 NIB.. with an extra clip!

honestly, Hi Points DO work....... but thats about it!

id rather put a hi point in a sock and get to whoopin, than use one in a gun fight........... but than again.. Im not too picky ;)

ip.

Blue .45
July 6, 2007, 05:45 AM
id rather put a hi point in a sock and get to whoopin, than use one in a gun fight.

ROTFLMAO!!!!! I have no opinion on the Highpoint one way or the other, but I laughed so hard I cried when I read this.

Seriously, are all the guns at that shop extremely over priced, or is it only this particular model? That high of a markup seems criminal.

schwantz
July 6, 2007, 08:01 AM
From what I've been told, they have "an arrangement" with the Philly Police Department.

Ergo.

Never.

Used to go into Colosimos back in the 60's and they had that same "arrangement" back then. Dealing with civilians seemed to annoy them.

IamtheNRA
July 6, 2007, 08:58 AM
A local gun store here in Tampa has 9mm Hi-Points NIB for $169...would make a good truck gun...if it gets dinged up or stolen, SFW...I don't want to leave a $1000 Kimber in my truck. Only thing is, it's a 9mm... :eek: :D

Whirlwind06
July 6, 2007, 04:21 PM
I had the Hi-Point 45. The thing DID feel like a brick on my hand.......a HEAVY brick. I was guaranteed to have two-three jams per clip, no matter how well I cleaned and lubed it. Never again.

See that was your problem, Hi-points use magazines not clips :neener:

3fgburner
July 6, 2007, 05:53 PM
Colosimo's charged me almost $20 for a box of CCI 9x18, the one time I went there to use the range. That was in '00.

A buddy of mine picked up a HiPoint 9 for his first handgun. He's since gone to a Glock compact .45, but he still likes the HiPoint.

greener
July 7, 2007, 07:51 AM
It's fun reading the Hi Point posts. The big knock on Hi Points now seems to be looks. Gotta admit that there are prettier handguns out there. All I know about Hi Points and Kimbers, for that matter, is what I read and a very few rounds through them. Both Hi Points fired without problem and I was able to shoot them accurately. Two Kimbers I fired wouldn't feed the ammo, I had to thumb the slide on both to get them to load. They fired accurately. I did observe a third Kimber that, NIB, wouldn't extract until some smith work was done. Based on my limited experience, the cheap ugly gun did better than the expensive pretty one.

Do I think Kimbers are better than Hi Points? Yes, by far. But my limited experience with Kimbers certainly cooled my jets on dropping a grand on a pistol.

denfoote
July 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
Handled a Hi-Point today

I hope you brought disinfectant wipes with you for afterward!!! :evil:

CajunBass
July 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
I had the Hi-Point 45. The thing DID feel like a brick on my hand.......a HEAVY brick. I was guaranteed to have two-three jams per clip, no matter how well I cleaned and lubed it. Never again

I've got a buddy that bought one on sale for $89 several years ago -- he figured it was cheap enough to be his truck gun & if he didn't like it he could turn it in at one of those $50 county gun buy backs.
Well, well all had our turns at shooting it & then quickly gave our criticsms of it....Bottom line -- at least he got $50 bucks back

Not trying to be smart or pick a fight here, but did you send it back?

You can bet that if I bought something, and it didn't work, it would be on the way back to the factory to get them to make it work, and I don't care if it's a Hi-Point, or a Kimber.

And I'd keep sending it back until they either fixed it, or gave me my money back.

bl4ckd0g
July 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
For a $170 full-framed gun, I didn't think the Hi-Point .4S&W was too bad. Then again, I didn't feel compelled to run out and buy one either.

I shot a few mags out of one over the winter. While it seemed to be a very soft shooter, I got two FTF's and promptly gave it back to the owner and let him figure it out.

Seriously, there are much better options in both used and new for $360. It's up to you if you can purchase it for under $180.

supraneurotoxin
July 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
Attempting to post a pic of my Hi-point with unsuccessful results.

www.atigunstocks.com/product-hipoint.html

Advanced Tech has a great stock for the Hi-point, I got one for mine and it feels like a whole new gun. less plasticy and ugly. removed the front sight completly and put a red-dot on the accessory rail. they also sell a laser that installs inside the stock. add some 15rd aftermarket mags (can't remember the brand, but Sportsmans Guide carries them) and it's ten times better that the standard configuration.

I'll admit it's generally an ugly gun, but you can't argue with it's reliablity. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine, with no trouble what so ever. I don't think it should be passed over simply because it's cheap.

Baneblade
July 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
I bought a Highpoint 9mm from my local store... and they haven't let me live it down since. I did it as an experiment and put about 100 rounds through it, no oil, no maintenance. I realize that is not alot, but it wasn't really fun to shoot. However, I hit what I aimed at and the dozen failures were all magazine related.

Albatross
July 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
I bought a used high point 9mm (and three magazines) at a gun show for 35 dollars. It was all scratched, with deep dings and the front sight was smashed down. However, it fired perfectly and reliably from all three magazines.

I had heard about their no sniveling warranty and when I sent it off to the factory they replaced basically everything except the serial number for free (and free shipping), plus they put in a free magazine.

/I carry and shoot a high end 1911, but for the price Hi-Points sure are neat as can be.

Geno
July 8, 2007, 12:05 AM
Truth time. If I had the chance to buy a used High Point, or a used Kimber, can you guess which I would buy?! If you said in a sarcastic grumble "High Point" you are correct. My experiences with High Point have been better than my experiences with Kimber. Pretty isn't functional, and functional if not always pretty.

There, I said it. The truth is out, and the truth shall set you free. :cool:

Axman
July 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
I have ordered a new Hi-Point CF380 that I will be picking up next Friday. Just about every Hi-Point owner that I know raves about the company's customer service. In fact one owner I know called the company in regards to a faulty magazine. The load spring broke. He sent the mag back to Hi-Point and received two in it's place.

NewShooter
July 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hi-Point should strike up a deal with ATI Gunstocks and have the carbine come from the factory with one. Gunshops wouldnt be able to keep them on the shelves.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handled a Hi-Point today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!