Wet feet and big deer

PDA

spot&stalk
June 29, 2007, 11:34 PM
Started preseason whitetail scouting for the year, this evening. Afterward I got to thinking, I live on a 100 acre farm, and have hunted here all my life. I've shot alot of nice deer, in open fields, and in hardwoods. In 1994 my grandfather had the land logged. Now I have alot of thick underbrush lining my creek banks. Well since the logging, I have had to change my hunting strategies a bit. Well there is one huge buck I have been tracking for about 4 years now, and he likes the thick stuff. I have tried drawing him out of it, tried running him out and still nothing. I notice this one path he uses by the large amount of sign, along the way. He crosses the creek in this area alot. Way too thick to set up in. So here is my question. Is it possible to set up in the creek and ambush him when he crosses, or could he be using the creek in a means to travel undetected, the water washing his tracks away? Is this at all posibile? Have any of you ever done this before or am I just crazy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wet feet and big deer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trueblue1776
June 29, 2007, 11:36 PM
If the brush is real thick and the creek is shallow, then I'd take the easier route if I was him. Wouldn't you?

My dad is a tracking hunter, he will sit on trails with the wind on his face.

redneck2
June 30, 2007, 07:34 AM
One of my friends spooked a BIG deer that was laying along a flooded creek bank. Tried to watch it as it took off. Finally saw the antlers just sticking out of the water as it swam down stream.

I live on a lake in Indiana. A few years ago I'm looking across the lake and see some funny looking ducks swim from the far shore of the bay towards us, maybe 600 yards. I look thru my binoculars and it's two deer swimming. I still have the pictures of them in the water.

Somewhere I have a video by Roger Raglin about hunting in the thickest, nastiest stuff you can find. Something like Big Buck Bedrooms.

Grumulkin
June 30, 2007, 08:44 AM
He crosses the creek in this area alot. Way too thick to set up in.

Since it sounds like the creek is the one open area where this deer is known to be, I would acquire some sort of seat that I could put in the creek and keep my feet dry. I would then just sit there quietly some late afternoon to evening.

xring44
June 30, 2007, 09:03 AM
Sounds like perfect big buck habitat, the thickest nasty tangles are home to some of the best bucks, its near impossible to slip up on a buck when your tangled in the flora. Big bucks in our area tend to seek out just such areas when hunting pressure starts. I was lucky enough last year to kill such a buck, I waded (over my boots) several hundred yards to my stand and killed a nice old swamp buck, look at the area, think of the prevailing wind, look for some natural terrain feature that will "funnel" the deer by your stand.

This is him
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/xring/100_0238.jpg

trueblue1776
June 30, 2007, 09:05 AM
Wind can sometimes get funneled down a creek bed, keep that in mind.

koja48
June 30, 2007, 10:35 AM
Nice buck, X! Now me, well I'd just lay underwater & breathe through a reed, then when the deer approached . . . no, wait, that was a different dream. Seriously, watch the wind & try to find a blind site with a view of the stream (or "crick" as I learned to call 'em in Montana). Big bucks get that way for a reason! Where I hunt in SE WA, the biggest bucks become strictly nocturnal once the pressure is on (I think the Game Department provides them with sunrise/sunset tables, calendars, and watches.). Good luck!

jeepmor
June 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
Now me, well I'd just lay underwater & breathe through a reed, then when the deer approached . . .

Chuck Norris, is that you? I knew Chuck hung out on this board somewhere, now we know his alias. :D

In Oregon coastal and Cascade mountain ranges, you might as well sit in the creek, you're going to be real wet already. Watching your wind will be key, but you might see if you can find where his trails are leading in that thick brush, you may find a better ambush site. Your land, I can't see it from here, good luck. It's amazing how big animals can lope through that brush quietly while I can't even wipe the snot running out my nose without being heard by all of them.

koja48
July 1, 2007, 08:01 AM
<SHHHHHHH!!!!> Not Chuck (I have a night light . . . 'cuz the dark is afraid of me . . . ) . . . but I do like Chuck.

Gaucho Gringo
July 21, 2007, 12:25 AM
Jeepmor, you got that right, I always used to dress like I was wearing an above water wet suit. I was wet, but I was always warm even in 34 degree weather. I used to look like a seam cloud. Take off the clothes when I got to camp, dry them and repeat the next day. Layers of clothes always worked for me.

eliphalet
July 21, 2007, 01:06 AM
Old bucks can be very smart, Seen em disappear when as far as I could tell there was nowhere to go. I have seen the track left where they had crawled away on their belly. Watched one for hours through a scope one day till he bedded down, and had to walk with in 20 feet or so straight at him before he would jump and run. About the biggest I ever shot and he was only 50 to maybe100 feet from me in very open country.
I have thrown rocks into a thicket I KNEW the durn deer was in, but he would not leave and if I went in one side he would disappear out the other, had me outfoxed. Then some seem completely stupid but those don't seem to grow old and have those large racks.
I think I would try to figure out what area he spends time in, look for his tracks etc, and pick the best or largest view I could get and just still hunt. My guess is thats your best chance for a shot at a deer like that. If he knows your around you will probably never see him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wet feet and big deer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!