Marlin 39A question

PDA

TimboKhan
July 1, 2007, 05:28 AM
So, I pulled my Marlin 39A out tonight to play with, and I noticed that the lever is loose. What I mean by that is, the lever will drop about a quarter inch or so down from the stock, regardless if it is cocked, not cocked or half cocked. I don't remember it doing this the last time I had it out, although it very well might have. Anyway, is this normal, or something that needs to be fixed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 39A question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nematocyst
July 1, 2007, 05:45 AM
I'm betting you can find an answer here (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=261635).

I've put out a call in the club house.

PS: I choose "B": something that needs to be fixed.

JustsayMo
July 1, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hmmm, tough one.

Does the bolt fully close and line up?

dfariswheel
July 1, 2007, 05:25 PM
The probable cause is a problem with the lever tension spring.

This is a curved flat spring that's inside the receiver, just in front of the lever.
You can see the screw just in front of the lever on the bottom of the receiver.

Disassemble the two receiver halves, and look in the Right half.

The spring is a curved flat spring that is riding on the lever just in front of and behind the lever screw area.
The spring must be tight, and on the lever.
Even when tight and working properly, the lever can still drop down if you pull it downward slightly.
The purpose of the tension spring is to hold the lever closed, but it doesn't do so with a lot of tension.

If necessary loosen the screw and reposition the spring, then tighten the screw down tight.
When working properly the lever will be pulled up against the receiver when the lever is about 1/4" or so from being fully closed.
Again, not a lot of "snap" there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 39A question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!