Sporterizing Mausers

PDA

Clark
June 26, 2003, 11:57 PM
The hardest gunsmithing I have done is to sporterize a Mauser. This picture is of a VZ24 has a Midway barrel. I wll never do that again:)
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=347889

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporterizing Mausers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
June 27, 2003, 12:12 AM
You'll never sportorize a Mauser or you'll never use a Midway barrel?

4 eyed six shooter
June 27, 2003, 01:42 AM
The rifle looks pretty good. I bought a Midway barrel for a Mauser some time ago. The threads were just a little (read alot) on the small side as you could wiggle the barrel back and forth quite a distance until it tightned up. I sold the barrel. I realize they cut the threads slightly undersize to compensate for the variations in the thread diameters of the mausers, but this one scared me.
John K

stans
June 27, 2003, 06:37 AM
Sporterizing Mauser 98's used to be an economical method of obtaining a nice rifle. Today, there are so many nice, off the self rifles available at reasonable prices that the Mauser is less attractive as a sporter rifle. I have a couple of old Mausers and I have considered rebarreling them and finishing the sporterizing processes that were started by their previous owners, but for the money, I could almost buy a brand new rifle.

4v50 Gary
June 27, 2003, 10:36 AM
OK, where'd you get the stock? I have a "sporterized Mauser" that should be restocked. I'm thinking either laminate or synthetic.

Clark
June 27, 2003, 11:49 PM
That stock in the picture was a package deal from Midway: a fluted stainless steel .308 barrel, short chambered, and a laminated stock for $150.

I have since sold the stock.

I have ~50 centerfire rifles, and my favorite is a VZ24 with Lothar Walthar light varmint taper barrel that I chambered in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. It has the stock VZ24 stock, that I milled out to accept the fat barrel. I trued the action, lapped the inner stop ring, lapped the lugs, did a trigger job, bent the bolt, and drilled and tapped. The glass bedding was done in three steps. The rifle averaged .87" with 5 shot groups at 100m on the first 14 groups with 72 gr bullets with no load development yet. I never got a 1" group before. This rifle's first group was < 1" group.

I can't recomend buying a lathe and sproterizing Mausers as better than buying a Sako, Remington, Winchester, etc. , but I did it, and I am happy with that rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporterizing Mausers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!