Converting a Rem 700 to M-14 magazine fed?

PDA

mpthole
January 8, 2003, 12:19 PM
I've heard about people doing this conversion on their Rem 700s in .308, converting them to accept an M-14/M1A magazine. I have a extra VLS and McMillan stock laying around that I'm thinking about using for my project gun.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, is it something I could do on my own or should I employ a competent 'smith to do it for me? What might it cost me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Converting a Rem 700 to M-14 magazine fed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GooseGestapo
January 8, 2003, 03:52 PM
I've heard of it,seen it, and Brownells sells a kit to do it. I recommend that a gunsmith do it as i believe that it does require some welding/milling. Check out Brownells. It is a popular mod. with the SWAT and Tactical bolt gun shooters.

Badger Arms
January 8, 2003, 11:22 PM
Do you have a picture, part number. I couldn't find the part, kit, or anything related.

mpthole
January 8, 2003, 11:28 PM
I couldn't find anything on their website either... Going to try the 2000-2001 copy of the catalog and see if I can dig anything up.

Dave P
January 9, 2003, 05:14 PM
mpt - I know there was a smith out west that performed the conversion. It wasn't cheap, tho.

mpthole
January 17, 2003, 09:58 AM
Never did find anything in the Brownell's catalog, at least for the type of mag conversion I'm looking for. There's always a ton of other stuff I'd love to get my hands on! :)

I haven't contacted a local 'smith yet to check prices... if it ends up being too expensive, I'll probably just sell off the Rem 700 VLS and extra stock and put the money into other projects like a new scope for my Barrett.

Any other comments on this topic?

4v50 Gary
January 17, 2003, 11:14 AM
Was toying with the idea. How about a 700 LTR in 223 that takes M-16, ahem, I mean AR-15 30 magazines?

mpthole
January 17, 2003, 11:36 AM
That would be cool! Sign me up. ;)

larryw
January 17, 2003, 05:22 PM
IIRC H-S Precision (http://www.hsprecision.com/) was doing those kits, don't know if they still are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Converting a Rem 700 to M-14 magazine fed?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!