Prk Thr Unite!

PDA

winstonsmith
June 27, 2003, 02:07 AM
I wonder why there seems to be a disproportionate number of **********n THR members. I have thought of two possible reasons:

1) California does have the highest population, thus the most gunnuts. Even with all the lefty extremists, this is still the truth.

2) California gunnuts are so castigated and alienated that they need to reach out to other gunnuts, via the internet

Tell me what you think.

Note to mods: If you think this belongs in legal and political, far be it from me to tell you how to do your job.

If you enjoyed reading about "Prk Thr Unite!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Andrew Wyatt
June 27, 2003, 02:11 AM
I'm pretty sure it's because most of the cali gun nuts have IT jobs, and so have enough time to visit here often.

ed dixon
June 27, 2003, 02:18 AM
Heard "shooting" and "The High Road." Thought casting call! And stumbled in hoping to nab the next Sunday night angel show? (Mmm... the population.)

simon
June 27, 2003, 01:25 PM
I'm here.
Any good places to shoot between hellA and Bakersfield?

Andrew Wyatt
June 27, 2003, 01:43 PM
there's the mojave desert. it's a good place to shoot.

simon
June 27, 2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I go there already.
What I was thinking was that there might be a place more near Tehachapi or Caliente

4v50 Gary
June 27, 2003, 02:45 PM
How many CRaP (Calif Rifle & Pistol) membuhs are there? It may be a 45 to 55 ratio with us slightly out of favor. Perhaps if we could take back a few major counties that could sway the difference at the state legislature level. If nothing else, let's recall Gray Davis.

Penforhire
June 27, 2003, 02:49 PM
Probably a combination of our high rate of web-connected population, our average income level, and our need to rage against our state firearms laws.

winstonsmith
June 27, 2003, 05:56 PM
I think Penforhire has it.

Skunkabilly
June 27, 2003, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because most of the cali gun nuts have IT jobs, and so have enough time to visit here often.

Are you saying I'm unproductive? :uhoh: :scrutiny:

QuarterBoreGunner
June 27, 2003, 07:32 PM
Penforhire nailed it I think; deep penetration of technology into society AND we know how much ground we've lost...

Skunkabilly? Dude? 3427 posts? Uh...yeah...I'd say that's productive.

Don't you ever sleep?

QuickDraw
June 27, 2003, 08:07 PM
Most of the people around me (work,social,family) are of the
typical California mindset,"why do you need a gun,guns are bad,blah,blah,blah".
This is like a breath of fresh air!:D
I get here what I don't get there...common sense!

QuickDraw

Skunkabilly
June 27, 2003, 08:22 PM
,"why do you need a gun,guns are bad,blah,blah,blah".

1. "Blue helmeted alien paratroopers. What? They've been living among us...can't you SEE? You drink out tap don't you...I knew it!!"

2. "'A gun'? You say that like I only have one!"

Skunkabilly? Dude? 3427 posts? Uh...yeah...I'd say that's productive. Don't you ever sleep?

No, but I take 7 hour combat naps :D

Sven
June 27, 2003, 08:30 PM
CPRA / NRA / Silicon Valley Members Coucil (just joining)

It's because California is a very large state with a lot of people who have access to Internet all day long... AND because "we're being repressed!"

Loach
June 27, 2003, 08:32 PM
AW-

Good point. I've always wondered how many folks here were in IT. It's been my experience that IT folks tend toward the libetarian end of the political spectrum and as such there are more gun nuts per capita in the IT business than in most other professions. Granted I'm in SC and have no business posting in the prk thread :p

In case you're even remotely interested, I'm a DBA/Analyst working for a consulting company in Columbia, SC. I'm fairly new to the area, but WOW what a great place to live!!! Come on you California-ites, the water's great!

QuarterBoreGunner
June 27, 2003, 08:46 PM
Sven- 'repressed' always reminds me of the beginning of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'... 'HELP! I'm bein' repressed!'

But it's true... hey man, content people don't fuel the revolution.

Skunkabilly
June 27, 2003, 08:48 PM
Revolution? Who said anything about....

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/tactical/shtf.jpg

:D

[Skunkabilly Tactical does not support, is not a member of nor has ever been a member of any organization to subvert the US Government, Skunky only keeps SHTF goods in case Gray Davis turns out the juice again]

ed dixon
June 27, 2003, 09:44 PM
Shoot, if your friends called you Skunkabilly how much time for rest would you get. Being a superhero ain't all batting eyelids and free milkshakes. Ed ;)

Hand_Rifle_Guy
June 27, 2003, 11:04 PM
I agree with Penforhire. We ARE the Silicon Valley after all. WE invented the Internet, by Cracky! Al Gore was just trying to steal our thunder. The crook. (Statements like this from an unemployed woodworker. Sheesh. :rolleyes: ;) )

I think we probably have a disproportionate number of wired folks available to expound our views.

Dis-fortunately it also means we have a disproportionate number of wired blissninnies in a state with a disproportionate number of blissninnies. THAT prospect STINKS.

http://flymeaway.net/images/sheeple.gif

Skunky: Ok, I can get behind something like Louis Rich Turkey Ham.

Cranberry or not, Turkey SPAM qualifies for a "Runawaayyyyy!!"

Unless of course it's some kind of obscure tactical thing, like a tryptophan WMD or something. ([Homer voice]Turkey-induced sofa coma. Mmmdroolzzzzz...[/Homer voice])

natedog
June 27, 2003, 11:52 PM
Another shooter from Bakersfield, CA. To answer your question, Simon, Bakersfield has two excellent ranges. One is an indoor affair called Second Amendmant Sports. You can shoot handguns, pistol-caliber rifles, and rimfires. They also have a nice rental selection, along with many guns and supplies. The other is an outdoor range called 5 Dogs Shooting Range. It's about 45 minutes north of town and they feature several handgun ranges, rifle ranges up to 1000 yards, cowboy action shooting, trap, skeet, and genral clay busting ranges to boot. Yes, I'm a member at both. PM for more details.

Hot brass
June 28, 2003, 01:41 AM
There is always 5 Dogs Range in Bakersfield. It is a great place to shoot. IPC, rimfire,shotgun,cowboy action shooting, rifle shooting, ccw class, and hot dogs;)

Hot brass
June 28, 2003, 01:44 AM
gunnut in california,nah, grayout will not have it

10-Ring
June 28, 2003, 02:29 AM
I'm gonna say it's a mix of the number of computer users, internet connections, CA's population & there are just ALOT of very smart people in CA that know a good thing when they stumble across it :D

Gary H
June 28, 2003, 03:48 AM
I live in N. CA, but love 5 Dog..

Many point have already been made. Also..

California leads the United States in most things. We have championed a new form of liberal politics that calls itself the Democratic Party. They pander to the uneducated soundbite crowd and promote victimization. Their anti-gun crusade is part of their efforts to convince the masses that they are being victimized and that the Democratic Party is coming to the rescue. This brings to THR many California generated topics and this brings out many folks from the left coast. Go grab guns in Nevada, or Texas and you should see an upswing in THR members from those states...and some impeached state officials.

Skunkabilly
June 28, 2003, 04:32 AM
I'm gonna say it's a mix of the number of computer users, internet connections, CA's population & there are just ALOT of very smart people in CA that know a good thing when they stumble across it

Now I'm just waiting for someone in Korea to stumble across THR.... ;)

Free Internet access phonebooths there! Jeeez!

QuickDraw
June 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
Hey Skunk,
I didn't know that they made turkey spam!!
Only in California! :D

QuickDraw

El Rojo
June 28, 2003, 12:14 PM
Natedog was right about Five Dogs, except I don't think it is a 45 minute drive north of town, unless you are driving slow enough to shoot squirrels along the way. I would peg it more at 30 minutes.

I live over in Taft, I shoot just about anywhere over here I want and don't pay a dime. I would never go to 2nd Amendment to pay lots of money to shoot my handguns when there are literally hundreds of places out here in the hills of the oilfields to shoot. If any of you Bakersfield THRers want to organize a shoot some day, you can make the 30-40 minute drive to Taft and I will show you plenty of places to shoot for free.

The one good thing about five dogs is you have gongs out to 500-600 yards and squirrels just the same. I have spent a full 8 hour day shooting out there once. I really liked it. I just have an aversion to paying to shoot. That is why I never went shooting at UCLA. I just waited until I got home.

Orthonym
June 28, 2003, 04:29 PM
Taft, huh? Used to be the best Free Flight site in the country before the Feds or someone built a prison there. Ever shoot model airplanes?:D
Seriously, though, I think all of us whose sports are noisy, need lots of room, and aren't approved by the scaredymommies should get together to advance our common interests.

El Rojo
June 29, 2003, 02:17 PM
Orthonym, what exactly are you talking about? I work out at the prison. They act all tough and they make this big deal about planes flying over the institution, but supposedly there isn't anything they can do about it. At least that is what I heard. As far as I know people still go out there and fly their model airplanes all they want. Hell they have a drop zone right across the aquaduct that parachuters use all the time. If anyone from Wackenhut Corrections Corp comes out to tell you anything, tell them they lost all authority when they stepped off federal property which you know and they know, so go bug off. The worse they can do is call the local police. If they show up, be polite and act stupid.

Orthonym
June 29, 2003, 04:25 PM
Free flights, not being radio controlled, are trimmed to fly in circles. The circle moves downwind at the wind speed. I think it would be hard to retrieve one which came down inside the fence there. Taft was famous for its humongous thermals and absence of trees and structures for miles and miles. There were also complaints about a kitty litter mine/factory which people said kept getting bigger and bigger.

El Rojo
June 29, 2003, 04:59 PM
Actually, they found a plane nearby the prison and had it there. Just go up to them and tell them, "My plane came down near here did you find it?" Then there will be a huge investigation to find out if you were trying to get stuff into the prison illegally, and on and on and on. Nevermind, point taken.

50 Shooter
June 30, 2003, 01:54 AM
Here's a pic of my range, 2000+ yards of fun.

Orthonym
June 30, 2003, 03:43 AM
50 Shooter, I saw the picture. It made me drool! If you really shoot .50BMG you have similar interests to us weird free flighters: We're both small minorities, other people think we're nuts, and we both need dirt bikes(In my case to chase airplanes, in yours because it would otherwise take WAY too long to walk back and forth to change targets):) Here's my test of a perfect flying field: You set up in the middle of it with your M2HB and fire it in any direction at any elevation, and the bullets always land on your side of the fence!:D As I said in my post above, we people who need large chunks of land for our fun ought to stick together!

50 Shooter
June 30, 2003, 12:52 PM
Or,
I've been going to this place for years, there use to be two buildings there to camp out in. Unfortunately some A**HOLES wrecked one of them by shooting out the rafters then burning it, the other building is big enough to drive an RV into and still stands for now.

We set up targets for the .50's from a few hundred yards out to a mile. We use to stand down range with those Talkabout radio's and call the shots, we now use a digital camera with an IR link to watch it. If you've never been downrange when a .50 round goes by, the sonic wave sounds like a gunshot.

To change targets we just jump in someones truck and drive out there or if someone brings a quad or dirtbike we just double up and go. Just for ref. we shoot into the mountain, it might all be desert but there's always other people out there. The right time of day or night you can see their vehicles or their campfires for miles.

Silver Bullet
June 30, 2003, 03:45 PM
Any good places to shoot between hellA and Bakersfield?

Several indoor ranges in San Fernando Valley, and there used to be (probably still is) one in Lancaster.

Kestryll
June 30, 2003, 05:46 PM
In addition to the High Road don't forget the other web hang out for armed Californians.
Calguns, scroll down and click enter the forums. (http://www.calguns.net/)

Ex-Doc
June 30, 2003, 06:13 PM
In CA gun control is like sports.......

Everyone pretends to like it...until I say I don't care much for, let's say, Basketball, then most will say, "Neither do I, but I feel I HAVE to watch and like it to talk sports with everyone else". So at the watering hole are a bunch of guys talking about something they really don't like.

Gun control and soccer moms are the same way...they all agree with gun control till one mom steps up and says it's a bunch of BS and explains why.

Kevlarman
July 1, 2003, 08:09 AM
The range in Lancaster is called "The Gun Shop." It's pretty small, and dimly lit, and you can't use any jacketed rounds. Still, since there aren't any other places to shoot nearby, it'll have to do.

I used to go up into the mountains and shoot up there, but have since stopped when I ran into a few Sheriffs.

Silver Bullet
July 1, 2003, 03:51 PM
I think "total metal jackets" are okay, unless things changed.

Kevlarman
July 1, 2003, 04:35 PM
Not according to what they told me. It's either lead or copper plated ammo.
FJM has a habit of bouncing back (since the range is so small).

Silver Bullet
July 1, 2003, 07:50 PM
I think we're talking about the same thing. I believe TMJ is different from FMJ (but I could be wrong). I was shooting CCI Blazer, on sale frequently at Big 5 Sporting Goods.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/

Kevlarman
July 1, 2003, 07:55 PM
You're right. As I understand it, TMJ bullets are electroplated with copper around the whole bullet; there is no exposed lead base.

FMJs, I assume, use a thicker copper jacket and are more prone to ricochet.

Hmm, all the Blazer 9mm ammo I have is FMJ. Did they just recently switch to TMJ? I hate spending $10 for a box of 50 at the range to use their ammo.

Silver Bullet
July 1, 2003, 09:14 PM
I dunno, I haven't bought CCI in five or six years. I never had a problem with it, though. Plus, you can ignore the signs at ranges that say "pick up your brass" (Blazer has aluminum cases :) ).

Ever since I discovered Wal-Mart I've been buying Winchester white box (even cheaper than Big 5 sale price of CCI, and I don't have to wait for a sale). The ranges I go to in Arizona don't have a jacket requirement.

One of the restaurants I went to did, though. :)

Guy B. Meredith
July 2, 2003, 04:07 AM
Hand Rifle Guy,

Who is this WE that invented the Internet? I remember something called DARPA net that hooked into our net as I was putting in the first transcontinental line for the Xerox internet, the second largest at the time.

I am not sure that California is over represented here. I see quite a few PA, TN, FL, AZ and TX THR members filling up web space. But we are one of the more threatened since we live in a state of rampant bigots.

If you enjoyed reading about "Prk Thr Unite!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!