Need advice on dies

PDA

eastwood44mag
July 4, 2007, 01:10 AM
I'm looking into reloading some rifle rounds, but I want to know which dies to go with.

The biggest concern right now is 8x56R Hungarian. Lee and Hornady make dies, but I don't know if anyone else does. Lee's are a limited run, and their warranty flat-out sucks. Hornady costs twice as much, but they guarantee for life.

Am I likely to run into a problem? Is it worth the extra peace of mind to get the warranty?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buttrap
July 4, 2007, 04:56 AM
I prefer RCBS or Hornaday but for odd calibers I tend to go with the Lees,they cost a lot less and how much 8x56R does a person end up loading anyways..its not like a .223 or a 9mm. You are probably not going to load the stuff at 500 rounds a sitting. Only die have ever busted was a RCBS sizing die anyways. Some of my older sets of steel pistol dies I have replaced the sizeing dies with Lee carbides. Back then 12 bucks for a sizing die or new set of carbide dies for 30 bucks, they still work.

Shoney
July 4, 2007, 05:08 AM
I’ve reloaded for 46 years, own dies made by (alphabetically): - Dillon, Herters, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, Pacific, RCBS, and Redding. I have never had a problem with any of them. Lee's may be cheap, but I have produced some extreemly accurate ammo with them.

Uncle Don
July 4, 2007, 06:19 AM
The biggest concern right now is 8x56R Hungarian. Lee and Hornady make dies, but I don't know if anyone else does. Lee's are a limited run, and their warranty flat-out sucks. Hornady costs twice as much, but they guarantee for life.

What kind of warranty are you looking for and why does Lee's warranty suck? I've been using them since 1985 without any problem regardless of the amount of use. I haven't had to send one back for anything but some people have and they post that they are taken care of. I think all companies make decent dies, but as to wear and tear - it's case hardened bar steel, I'm not sure we can wear them out. My opinion is to get the ones that have the features you want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!