$300 a reasonable price for a Ruger Bearcat?

PDA

wellfedirishman
July 6, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hi All,

Quickie question:
Is $300 a reasonable price for a used Ruger Bearcat, very nice condition with most of the blue and no spin mark on the cylinder? From the research I have done on Gunbroker etc it looks about right.

This one is the old 3 screw without the modern safety, and has a brass trigger guard. I think it is pre-1975.

My local store has one for $300 and I am considering buying it. However I just bought a Single Six (used, at a really great price) which I am still waiting for so I am debating whether or not to double up and get the Bearcat too.

Are they different guns for different purpose or too similar to notice the difference? I know the size/weight of the bearcat is about half that of the single six.

An advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "$300 a reasonable price for a Ruger Bearcat?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eliphalet
July 6, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have one of each and each has it's place I guess. For carry hiking, fishing or what not, I like the Bearcat for size and weight for hunting, plinking or paper, I can do better with the Single-Six.
For price I would do a "sold search" on Gunbroker and Auctionarms.

Gaucho Gringo
July 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know where you live but I nave not seen a used Ruger .22 of any kind for less than $350.00, usually they want as much or more than new. If it were me I would try to dicker on the price a bit. It never hurts to try and you can always buy it at the asking price if he won't go down.

wellfedirishman
July 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
That is funny, I have had reasonable luck around here in CA with buying used and finding decent prices.

FYI, a local store (Irvington Arms in Fremont, CA) has an old model Ruger Single Six for $150 in reasonable condition (bluing is worn but looks ok) as of a couple days ago.

CMcDermott
July 7, 2007, 12:24 AM
Thats a pretty good price for a Bearcat, but look at the serial number. If it starts with a letter and has only three number digits, then it is one of the original "alphabet" series produced in the late 50's/early 60's and is a collectable.

wellfedirishman
July 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
I ended up purchasing it for $300, in excellent condition, bore and cylinder look perfect, and serial # in 46,000 range. Looks like someone bought it, carried it a few times, maybe shot a box of ammo through it then cleaned it and stored it away for 30 years.

It will be a cute gun to teach my nephew to shoot with when he is old enough :)

eliphalet
July 7, 2007, 08:44 PM
Made in 64 I think, hopefully it will now get to see the light of day and get used like it was made to do. Enjoy.

Geno
July 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
My daughter loves her Bearcat! So do I. Glad you got it.

If you enjoyed reading about "$300 a reasonable price for a Ruger Bearcat?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!