cast bullet choice 45 acp

PDA

lonewolf5347
July 6, 2007, 09:35 PM
I am going to place an order with graf@sons ,running threw there catalog I have a few choices any help on which bullet would help?
meister bullets 200 grain swc or 230 round nose?
hornady bulk cast 200 swc or 230 RN
I used hornady back in the 70's never used Meister Bullets, powder will be UNIQUE I see they also carry Berry's plated ,but I was talking with a fellow loader and he stated seem the plating come loose when seating the bullet

If you enjoyed reading about "cast bullet choice 45 acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
July 6, 2007, 09:48 PM
For target loads the 200 gr SWC is the best choice as it cuts a nice paper punch hole in paper targets. The downside of semi wad cutters is they are dificult to get good feeding without a polished ramp and throated chamber. If you have a newer non mil-spec pistol its possible that it already has a throated barrel.

I've found Hornady SWC's to be one of the most difficult bullets to get to feed properly as it has a very short nose. The Speer IMO is better as is most cast bullet design.

For general shooting and plinking or use in a Mil-spec pistol the round nose will be easier to put together a working load.

ReloaderFred
July 6, 2007, 10:45 PM
Your "fellow loader" isn't loading his plated bullets properly. All you have to do is bell the case mouth a little and don't over crimp. I've shot thousands and thousands of Berry's bullets in 9x19, 9x21, .38 Super, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, .400 Cor-Bon, .41 Magnum, .45 acp and .45-70. I've been very happy with them.

You may want to try Berry's 185 grain Round Nose Hollow Base bullet. It has the same profile as the 230 grain Round Nose, with a much lighter weight. I've yet to find a .45 that it won't feed through and it also shoots very accurately.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Primersinmyshoe
July 7, 2007, 12:06 AM
I've never had a 1911 that wouldn't feed 200g SWC's, and I've had a few...

jfh
July 7, 2007, 12:18 AM
including SA 1911s, EAA, and S&W, is that the 200gr SWCs do feed OK. If you have trouble, try these two things:

1) a different spring, or
2) adjusting LOA slightly.

If you're working on the low side of charges, the proper crimp also needs to be spot-on.

I also have had good luck with 185 SWCs.

Jim H.

lonewolf5347
July 7, 2007, 12:29 AM
thanks guys thought I ask seem a long time since loading for the 1911 and from what I here yes it is a mil spec gun and the serial number from what i here is but together in the usa no marking on the gun made in brazil

kellyj00
July 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
the lighter the bullet, the more powder is recommended according to my charts. don't know why this is.

I would go with 230 gr. Lead RN or Truncated cone (aka flat point). Both will feed in an XD, a Sig 220 and a SA 1911 Mil-spec. I know that first hand...

Vern Humphrey
July 9, 2007, 12:32 PM
the lighter the bullet, the more powder is recommended according to my charts. don't know why this is.
The M1911 is recoil-operated. For reliability, it needs a certain level of momentum, which is Mass X Velocity. When dropping bullet weight, the velocity increase must be somewhat greater than that achieved by simply keeping the same charge to get reliable functioning.

Bottom Gun
July 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
The 200 gr SWC Meister bullets are a good all around choice. I've shot thousands of them loaded with Unique and Win 231 with good results.
I have also enjoyed shooting 185 gr and even 155 gr SWC.

I have never had an issue with SWC bullets in any of my 1911's.

If you enjoyed reading about "cast bullet choice 45 acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!