Anyone got a crossbow?

PDA

MCgunner
July 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
Kinda wondering what a good compound crossbow's effective range is. How accurate is one? I've always been a little infatuated with 'em. Now days, what with OSHA's saber rattling, I'm not real sure I'll have rifle ammunition in the future and I ain't worth a toot with a bow. A crossbow would be a possible option.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone got a crossbow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Aries-
July 7, 2007, 08:50 PM
never really shot it at any great distance. i have a Horton 175lb compound crossbow.

ive shot andd hit a bullseye from 40 yards fairly easy(has a crossbow scope on it). if i had a better backdrop instead of an open field id try farther, but my range guessing is pitiful at best, and bolts are $6 per bolt. so its costly loseing them :)

Grumulkin
July 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
I think the one I shoot is incredibly accurate but does, of course, have a very looping trajectory compared to a gun. With practice, consistent accurate shots at a deer sized animal at 50 yards should be very doable.

MCgunner
July 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
I dont' know, might get one just because. They make ranging reticle crossbow scopes and I have a range finder. I'm a little scared by this new OSHA regulation stuff they're threatening. I may no longer be able to get powder and primers if this goes though and even factory ammo could be scarce. It's total BS, but I think about alternatives. Now, I don't know a good alternative for duck hunting. Maybe I could get a flintlock shotgun and make my own black powder. <sigh>

ARGarrison
July 8, 2007, 03:44 PM
Don't know about compound crossbows, but a freind of mines father has hunted with a crossbow for years here in Indiana. As a disabled hunter he can't use a regular bow and arrow set up. My freind and his dad both say his crossbow is accurate with feild points, but adding broadheads changes everything. They claim accuaracy drops to about 15 yards if that and it's flight path drops quickly, like Grumulkin said.

Aries-
July 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
depends on the hunting tips.

standard fixed bladed hunting tips will change the flight charictoristics of an arrow.

i like the newer flip out hunting tips. they fly like a field point untill impact when the blades flip out.

saposedly you can use standard field points to sight the crossbow in and have it stay very close to the same using the mechanical hunting points.

with a crossbow you likely wont want to try a kill shot at more than 20-30 yards as the momentum would go down quite a bit i think. may not get a clean kill.

1911 guy
July 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
The limited range issue mentioned is because the equipment isn't properly matched up.

You're looking for something in the 100-125 Lb draw weight. Under 100 gets iffy on larger game and over 125 gets to be more effort than a lot of folks can handle on a regular basis. If you're a big guy, go up to 150.

Arrow weight, stiffness and length is determined by your bow. Improperly matched, accuracy and range will suffer. Length is determined by the physical dimensions of the crossbow. Weight is determined by the amount of material in the shaft, insert, fletching, nock and head. Stiffness is determined by wall thickness of the aluminum the arrow is made of. A crossbow manufacturer will usually recommend a specific combination be used with their bow.

Properly set up, a crossbow over 100Lb draw weight is medicine for deer out to about 60 yards. Accuracy will be fine past that (if you figure out the drop), but an arrow has to penetrate well to kill efficiently. Low speed and drag make it lose too much momentum to do that past about 60 yards.

For zeroing the bow, practice with field points first, until you get proficient with it. Then rezero with broadheads and don't touch it again. Who cares if it's off by a few inches when you're shooting paper with field points? All you need to worry about is tight groups. Your broadheads will go where you send them.

About mechanical broadheads: I don't like them. There's too much that can go wrong. Maybe I'm biased because I remember when they first hit the market and used rubber bands and such. Anyway, if your mechanical broadhead and you field point aren't EXACTLY the same weight, the POI will be different anyway. Use real broadheads and do it right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone got a crossbow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!