Marlin 30-30 or winchester 30-30?

PDA

SturmMackRuger
July 10, 2007, 03:08 PM
After my last experiment with a mini 14 I am moving on to bigger and better things now my next question which 30-30 is best. Im needing a good deer rifle that is not an auto gun or bolt gun but I can still get a few quick rounds off. Im looking for one used in decent condition no rust on barell no cracked stock etc... Around here 30-30s are popular,, bullets are abundant and just about everyone can fix one. But I need to know which should I go with Marlin or Winchester.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 30-30 or winchester 30-30?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
July 10, 2007, 03:13 PM
OK if you're NOT going to need a scope buy a WINCHESTER, I own both and I'll probably get flamed for saying this but "All Marlin leverguns are going to hell as they simply have no soul."

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/leverguns.jpg

.45Guy
July 10, 2007, 03:25 PM
They do make offset scope mounts for the 94 if you absolutely need to have glass mounted. Of course I've never come across one that works for left handed shooters. My 336 in .35, Thatoneguy's 94 in .30-30, and Mrs. .45's Glenfield model 30 in.....30-30. BTW, your best bet is to wait 'til the months just prior to deer season opening. That's when everybody and their brother dumps whatever they have on hand for the new "whiz bang super duper short magnum." You'll usually find a plethora of .30-30's on the rack cheap.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/aguy123/Picture.jpg

ZeSpectre
July 10, 2007, 03:32 PM
OK if you're NOT going to need a scope buy a WINCHESTER, I own both and I'll probably get flamed for saying this but "All Marlin leverguns are going to hell as they simply have no soul."

He he he, not sure if you are right, but I do actually like my Marlin. My .30-30 represents one of those guns that I really have no current use for as I don't hunt...but it is such an essential part of Americana that I felt I just HAD to own at least one .30-30 levergun.

davera
July 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
He he he, not sure if you are right, but I do actually like my Marlin. My .30-30 represents one of those guns that I really have no current use for as I don't hunt...but it is such an essential part of Americana that I felt I just HAD to own at least one .30-30 levergun.

Me too.

And I would not turn down a nice vintage Win 94 if I encountered one while money was burning a hole in my pocket.

foghornl
July 10, 2007, 04:05 PM
I prefer the Marlin models. Nothing wrong with the Winchester, other than the difficulty of scope mounting.

A scope doesn't really belong on a levergun, but my 50+year-old-tri-focused eyes need all the help they can get. :o :D

db_tanker
July 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
I would fight for all my pistols and rifles...

but I would fight just a bit harder for my Model 94 30 WCF. :)

rantingredneck
July 10, 2007, 05:15 PM
For clarification, a Win 94AE (angle eject) is rather easy to mount a scope. They are drilled and tapped on top just like most other rifles. The brass ejects at an angle to clear the scope. I had one and traded it earlier this year. Comparing it to my Father in Law's Marlin 336, the Marlin is more accurate, while the Winchester handles better, is lighter, and holds one extra round (if that matters to you).

If I had it to do over again I would buy a Marlin personally, but that is me. :)

DJW
July 10, 2007, 05:23 PM
If you prefer to clean from the breech then get the Marlin. Have no idea why either one is not friendly to lefties, both work fine for me.
DJW

ArmedBear
July 10, 2007, 05:31 PM
Marlin is a more solid design, simpler to clean, etc. Scope? No problem.

Marlin 336 (originally model 1893, changed to 36 then 336 with some updates) dates from the same time as the Winchester 94 (also changed a bit since 1894 but not renamed). Soul? Whatever. Both guns are "the originals".

Winchester is lighter. Neat package, really. Carries and shoulders nicely. Definitely feels like a carbine.

Marlin's perceived recoil is less, IMO. Different geometry, wider butt, and a tad heavier. More rifle-like, even in the same length as the Winchester.

See if you can shoot each one, and decide what you prefer.:)

hoghunting
July 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
To clean the Marlin, you remove the the lever screw and the lever and breech bolt pull out leaving access to the chamber. The Winchester has to be stripped to almost the bare receiver to have access to the chamber. It's much easier cleaning the Marlin.

R.W.Dale
July 10, 2007, 06:30 PM
To clean the Marlin, you remove the the lever screw and the lever and breech bolt pull out leaving access to the chamber. The Winchester has to be stripped to almost the bare receiver to have access to the chamber. It's much easier cleaning the Marlin.

Or you could clean both from the muzzle end and save the screwdrivers for hanging pictures.

68'chevelle
July 10, 2007, 06:53 PM
That is the way I clean my marlin, I'd go with the marlin, I have 4 marlins, I like the 336w cause the 30/30 bullets are cheap, and I took 6 aimed shots in 30 seconds.:D

336w 30/30,
444, 336c 35,
the classic model 1895 45/70

Dr.Rob
July 10, 2007, 06:58 PM
And you COULD clean your bore with rainwater... but there are better ways to do things. :rolleyes:

(Reminder if you DO clean from the bore use a brass or plastic cleaning guide rod to protect the muzzle crown.)

My biggest bitch with Marlin is the crossbolt safety that isn't... but it's better than the 'squeeze the lever' safety on a Winchester.

Soulless? I think not. They've both been around well over 100 years. And at least Marlin is still an American company.

The Winchester IS lighter, and if you never need a scope, the Winny may be your cup of tea. Winchesters are NOT currently being made but there are a lot of them available.

The Winchesters have a lot more side to side slop in the lever, compared to a Marlin.

Thing is, a GOOD used 30-30 is hard to come by sometimes... people hang onto them until they are beat to snot.

I prefer the Marlin, but it's really a six of one half dozen of the other argument.

.45Guy
July 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
Have no idea why either one is not friendly to lefties, both work fine for me.

Ever try to shoot a 94 with an offset scope? My neck doesn't bend far enough to use it;)

scubie02
July 10, 2007, 10:45 PM
the simple answer is of course that you really need both...

raginrednek
July 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
dont overlook used mossberg 30-30 levers, or revelation 30-30s, both made by mossberg. usually found rough, they are good shooters. most i see have 18.5 inch barrels. marlin scope mounts fit.

retrieverman
July 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
Winchester or Marlin? You can't go wrong either way. I personally prefer Marlin, but that is just what I started with 25 years ago. I currently have 4 Marlin 336 30-30's, an 1895GS 45-70, an 1894SS 44 magnum, and a 39A 22lr.

I have come full circle (from 30-30 to magnumitis and back), and 30-30 is once again my deer/hog caliber of choice.

rangerruck
July 11, 2007, 01:38 AM
winchester was, is, allways will be so light, so handy, so easy to swing, so svelte, just a dream to carry around in the woods. the only reason I would not get one, is if top eject really bothered you, of so , then go marlin.

marksman13
July 11, 2007, 03:07 AM
I like the Marlins. Just a matter of personal preferance. I grew up with a pair of Marlin 336s and the Winchester just never felt right. Don't forget about Henry lever actions. They are made in America as well. I don't know that they make a 30-30 model, but their 44 magnum Big Boy is a solid performer under 100 yards.

Kaylee
July 11, 2007, 03:17 AM
Both have been around for over a hundred years now, so you're not exactly going to go wrong with either.

I've owned both - gave away the Marlin. Not only couldn't I shoot it as well, I found felt recoil was substantially more than the Winchester, oddly enough.

My personal preference then is an older straight stocked Winchester. But the only way to tell is for ya to try 'em both.

Nematocyst
July 11, 2007, 05:06 AM
My personal choice is Marlin.

I own a 336A in .30-30 and a 39A in .22 LR.
Won't part with either.
Still breaking in both;
soon to do some polishing on both
to smooth the actions.

Soon to add an 1894C in .357M.

Soul?

Go here (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258000) for discussions about soul in Marlin .30-30s.

;)

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53867&d=1172383166

Regolith
July 11, 2007, 05:27 AM
Personally, I love vintage Winchester 94's. They're one of those iconic guns that exude character.

My father has a '94 in .30-30 and a '92 in .25-30, both built in the first half of the last century. Both are fun to shoot and simply feel good in my hands.

That being said, I wouldn't mind owning a Marlin either. Not a huge fan of their stocks, but they're neat little guns. Personally I'm thinking about getting the guide gun in .45-70, and maybe one of their cowboy guns.

Nematocyst
July 11, 2007, 06:23 AM
... thinking about getting the guide gun in .45-70, ...Um hmm.

JustsayMo
July 11, 2007, 10:10 AM
The two Winchesters I've had in my possession were both excellent shooters even with factory ammo. Reloads made them into GREAT shooters. I seem to shoot them a little better than the Marlins. Cleaning a Winchester is a big downside for me. Because it was a pain, I didn't shoot as much.

The two 30-30 Marlins I've owned shoot nearly as good as the Winchesters. Both prefer handloads over factory ammo. They feel more solid and more refined. MUCH easier to maintain and keep running. Even my 1999 mfr date Marlin was still made in the USA!

The Winchesters didn't stick around. I went with Marlin.

ftierson
July 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
I like both...

:)

Keep in mind that 'they' don't make Winchesters anymore, while 'they' do still make Marlins...

Forrest

Essex County
July 11, 2007, 05:23 PM
This Question has tormented me since 1958 when I bought my first 30-30. I love them both dearly, as I would two children. As my declining years approach, and after much meditation I have arrived at the conclusion.....The 336 is the thinking man's model 94........Essex

dav
July 11, 2007, 05:28 PM
So I was intrigued enough to look at local used 30-30 prices.

I was kinda surprised to find a Winchester 94AE on consignment for 399.99 at Turners (760) 741-1570 in San Marcos, CA.

More 30-30's available used than I expected, usually lots more than $400.

Sniper X
July 11, 2007, 05:29 PM
My 2 cents

Marlin, better action stock, a little easier to load. nice reliable, maybe a little more accurate if you get one with a micro groove barrel, solid gun.

Winchester, prettier, more traditional "Cowboy" looking, very reliable, nice shooting great gun, not as smooth action wise as the Marlin, but mine had a less creepier triger than my 336RC does, but the crispness is about identical after what little creep the Marlin has.

Marlin 30-30 seem to go for a little more money than the Winchesters in 30-30 do in the same condition. At least around here.

I have both a Marlin 336RC in 30-30 and a Winchester in .357 mag, I absolutely love them both!

B.D. Turner
July 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
I like both Marlin and Winchester. While I have always loved the Marlin 336 there is still a soft spot in my heart for a Winchester Wrangler 32 win special with a big lever hoop,saddle ring and 16 inch barrel. Still kicking myself for getting rid of that one.

Baba Louie
July 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
It's always nice to own and shoot a rifle that JMB had a hand in designing... even when they're a bear to clean properly.
Several million American gun owners can't be ALL wrong... can they?
Either one will work fine.

ftierson
July 11, 2007, 09:57 PM
While I own both Winchesters and Marlins, and while I actually like the looks of the Winchesters more, I happened to stumble into a Marlin 3000 (cheapie Marlin 336) today in like new condition...

My OCD kicked in and I took it home...

:)

Forrest

Ash
July 11, 2007, 10:18 PM
I like the Marlin, but own a Mossberg 30-30. This is not mine, but for comparison. Mine is in much better shape.

Ash

mswestfall
July 11, 2007, 11:16 PM
I own a Winchester 94. I don't own a Marlin. I would buy a Marlin. I really have a problem with the way an extended lever wiggles on a Winchester.

RubenZ
July 11, 2007, 11:39 PM
Why on earth would one need a SCOPE on a Lever gun :) The Marlin sights are awesome. No need for a scope.

Unless you have the Lever Gun in Back to the Future 3 I see no need for a scopoe. Besides, lever guns are beautiful just the way they come.

ArchAngelCD
July 12, 2007, 05:10 AM
I bought a used older Marlin 1984C a while back. It has the straight stock and holds only 6 rounds instead of 9 like the newer model. I REALLY like this rifle, it's smooth and accurate. Even though my rifle is a .357 Magnum I'm sure the 30/30 is just as good. I intend on buying a Model 336C in 30/30 and a Model 39A in .22LR in the near future.

MinScout
July 12, 2007, 01:59 PM
As a serious hunting tool, a scoped Marlin is probably a better choice. However, if you want a light, handy hunting/woods bumming utility rifle, the old Winchester 94 is tough to beat. Just make sure you either scrape up enough for a pre 64 or at least buy one made before all the rebounding hammer/cb safety/tang safety nonsense.

SturmMackRuger
July 12, 2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your advice. But who makes the best bullets for hunting, I have recently seen some Hornady LEVERevolution Flex Tip bullets in 30-30 and the local wally world has winchester 30-30 bullets and in my mind those would be the best to get for deer hunting but would like to know others opions.

ftierson
July 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
Personally, I like the standard 170gr RN/FN bullets...

If I want to shoot something faster than that, I'll shoot something other than a .30-30 Win...

Forrest

Tomcat47
July 12, 2007, 10:24 PM
I prefer the Marlins, however I do also have, and love the winchesters. (True Grit my favorite movie!) The Marlins micro groove barrel seems to always produce more accuracy in all the calibers.

I also love the Marlin sights. I use the see thru scope mounts which alow usage of both scope and sights. I like this a lot especially in brush country.

And for those that did not know Marlin in 1893 was the first company to chamber a lever rifle in .30-.30! :)

The resultant .30 WINCHESTER SMOKELESS cartridge which carried the .30 W.C.F. (Winchester Center Fire) designation on the head stamp, first appeared in Winchester's catalog No. 55, dated August, 1895. Several months prior to this, the first ads announcing the arrival of this cartridge began appearing in the sporting press.

Three months after WINCHESTERís first advertisement of their new .30 WINCHESTER SMOKELESS cartridge, their biggest competitor, the Marlin Firearms Company, announced their version of this cartridge chambered in their model 1893 rifle. Since Marlin did not manufacture ammunition, it worked closely with the Union Metallic Cartridge Company (U.M.C.) located in Bridgeport, Connecticut. U.M.C. replicated the .30 WINCHESTER SMOKELESS cartridge but gave it a different name. Since 30 grains of smokeless powder was initially used in this cartridge, they named it the .30-30. Cartridges were head stamped U.M.C. / .30-30 S. The S was dropped from the headstamp within a few years.

Milkmaster
July 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
I own the Winchester '94 in 30-30 because it was what I liked and found at the time. Mine doesn't have a scratch on it. It came from an estate sale and appeared to have been hardly fired when I bought it even though it was 30 years old. I shoot a box of ammo in it about once per year through open sights. Never has a misfire. It is more accurate than I am.

Compared with the Marlin, either gun is fine. I tend to think that the Winny is lighter and better with open sights. The Marlin would be my choice if and when I would like to use a scope.

One neat thing and a good reason to have one... Seems like everyone wants to see the levergun Winchester when looking at my gun collection. That nice warm feeling is worth a little when you get older :)

SwampWolf
July 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
The statements that Marlins "lack soul" and are the "thinking man's 94" ring true for me. I've always said that the Marlin appeals to the head and the Winchester moves the heart. Personally, my heart usually prevails in matters of love and lever guns. Although I hate the trigger on my 94, most Marlins I've sampled aren't much better. And, although my 94 is an "angle-eject (AE)" model, like RubenZ, I have no use for scopes on most ("traditional" appearing) levers but, unlike Tomcat47, I absolutely detest "See-Thru" mounts. However, I do have a Redfield 1X5 scope mounted on my Savage Model 99 "Brushgun" and it is afixed to a Weaver "Pivot Mount"...

Nematocyst
July 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
The statements that Marlins "lack soul" and are the "thinking man's 94" ring true for me. I've always said that the Marlin appeals to the head and the Winchester moves the heart. Personally, my heart usually prevails in matters of love and lever guns.This is a fascinating and fun discussion.

S'Wolf, I'm not trying to start an argument here - I think we can agree, this is all a matter of perspective. I respect your opinion and feelings about this. If the Win '94 rings your bells, then I think that's great and is just as "right" as anything a Marlin owner might write.

But for me, the 336 touches my heart more than the '94. I've looked at '94s repeatedly over the years.
Admittedly, I never shot one, and maybe that's what I'm missing.

But consistently, when I pick up a Marlin, my heart says, "Yeah, this is the one".

It's not a mind thing at all, even though I do evaluate and analyze the pros and cons of both Win and Marlin with my mind.

But it's usually something beyond rational thought that keeps me coming back to Marlin:
a felt sense, something aesthetic, more art than science.

Can't explain it at all - purely beyond words for me, as matters of the heart tend to be - so I won't even try.

Just one persons opinion here. No "truth" implied. ;)

Nem

SwampWolf
July 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
Nemo, maybe some of us have a hard time visualizing the "Duke" whipping a Marlin out of the scabbard when the Injuns were surrounding him! This "heart and soul" thing is, of course, purely subjective and probably has more to do with early childhood experiences and perspectives than anything else. Growing up in the fifties, watching the Lone Ranger, Hoppy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and Gunsmoke on the tube (yes, far enough back when the late Dennis Weaver played Marshall Dillon's stiff legged deputy, Chester), most, if not all of the 50's/60's westerns employed Winchesters (usually 92s or 94s). To the untrained eye, there's probably not much difference between the 94 and the 336 in terms of appearance but to us "loonies" there's a world of difference. Certainly, to this child of the fifties there is.

Of course, Hollywood's portrayal of the wild west may have had little to do with reality and I'm sure an argument could be made that Marlin is the rifle that "won the West". But facts sometimes have little to do with how the heart feels...:)

Nameless_Hobo
July 13, 2007, 07:15 PM
I'd get a Marlin, easier to take apart and put together, stronger, but, not as smooth as a Winchester.

ArmedBear
July 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
Winchesters may make your heart throb, but they make my shoulder throb.

I'll take a Marlin.:)

hank327
July 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
I like the traditional 1894 much better than the Marlin. I don't have any use for a scope on a 30-30 carbine and think the angle-eject version of the 94 as an abomination. I bought my Winchester used at a gunshow about 20 years ago for $140. It was made sometime in the early 1970s and was/is like new. I wasn't looking for a 94, but when I came across it, I had to buy it just in order to have a sample of this American classic. I put a Williams Foolproof aperture sight on it and it shoots as good as I can hold. I've never used it much, but one year I hunted exclusively with it using 170 grain Winchester Flatpoint Silvertips. With this combo I took two whitetail deer and a coyote with one shot each that hunting season. You can't do much better than that.

gezzer
July 14, 2007, 01:44 AM
Marlin, The average guy can break it down for full cleaning, but then again it's a moot point because 98% of lever gun owners never take them down for cleaning or even clean then assembled.

obxned
July 14, 2007, 02:19 AM
I've always found the Marlin to be much more accurate, and the cases seem to require a whole lot less effort to resize.

StrikeEagle
July 14, 2007, 02:38 AM
The Winchester 94 is my favorite rifle (along with the Garand which is also my favorite), and I pick that over the Marlin. I don't know if it's all the movies and TV shows I saw in the 50's, but the Winchester just LOOKS right... Marlin strikes my eye as being an 'off brand' in the same way that a Remington Single Action revolver does. :)

I like the Winchester so deeply and viscerally, that I'd prefer it even if it could be incontrovertibly demonstrated that the Marlin was objectively superior.

What can I tell you? I guess I'm in love. :p

Nematocyst
July 14, 2007, 02:44 AM
I wonder what it was about Annie Oakley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Oakley)
- soul-wise -
that let her do the following (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_Golden_39A)with a Marlin?

Annie Oakley once used a [Marlin] Model 1891 to put
25 shots in one jagged hole in 27 seconds at a distance of 36 feet (11m).

Da'um.

IMHO, that's a definition of soul.

Maybe not "the" definition of soul,
but at least "a" definition of soul. 8-)

Modern day Annie Oakley?

Wonder if the Duke ever
put 25 shots in one jagged hole
in 27 seconds at a distance of 36 feet?

;)

ArmedBear
July 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
The reality is that the 336 and 94, or at least their predecessors, were first introduced at the same time back in the 1890s.

Winchester just got a lot of what's now called "product placement" on TV and in the movies. The 1892/94 didn't even exist when many of the old Western plots supposedly took place. If anything, the '66 or '73 ought to "look right", not the later guns, if that's the criterion.:)

All I know is, a 94 hurts my shoulder if I plink with it, whereas a 336 feels fine. For carrying and pointing, I like the fit and feel of the Winchester, as well as the Marlin, and they're quite different. But for shooting a number of rounds, I'll take the Marlin's geometry and weight, over the Winchester.

SwampWolf
July 14, 2007, 05:49 PM
Hey Nemo, believe it or not but I didn't grow up idolizing Annie Oakley! But I won't part with my Marlin 39...:rolleyes:

Nematocyst
July 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
I didn't grow up idolizing Annie Oakley!Neither did I, S'Wolf. ;)

In fact, I'm not even sure I knew who she was until I became an adult. (Don't remember, exactly.)

But I saw some film of her recently, PBS if I remember right, and learned what an awesome shooter she was. Kind of a 19th century female Jerry Miculek with a rifle. (OK, yeah, stretching it a bit, but still impressive ...)

Can't help but admire that kind of talent.

StrikeEagle
July 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Nemo, believe it or not but I didn't grow up idolizing Annie Oakley! But I won't part with my Marlin 39...

Well... I'm guessing that you're too young to remember the Annie Oakley TV Series... with Gail Davis.

I was on from 1954 to 1957 and I'll tell you what... a woman or not, that gal could ride and shoot better than anyone! Davis did most of her own stunts, too, including standing up in the saddle at full gallop and doing some shooting. (I recall that she shot the center out of an Ace of Spades like that, but that kind of strains credulity.)

Wonderful, wonderful show from the early days of TV Westerns. :)

Do a Google image search on Gail Davis. Only in my adult years did I realize that she was kind of a dish back in the day. ;)

SwampWolf
July 14, 2007, 08:09 PM
Strike Eagle, no, I'm afraid that I'm plenty old enough to remember that show but it isn't one of the ones I ever did much fantasizing about when I was a kid. Annie Oakley (nee Phoebe Anne Mozee) was raised in Ohio near where I grew up. She reportedly learned her shooting skills while hunting small game in order to help feed her poor family (and, no, I never knew her personally :)).

jmr40
July 14, 2007, 11:41 PM
I believe the Marlins quality has been consistently good for the last 100+ years both guns have been made. The Winchesters that I have owned and handled varied from excellent to junk. If buying used, (the only option with Winchester), I believe you have a much better chance of getting a good rifle with Marlin. If you have one of the good Winchester it is probably a tie.

My personal choice is to search out the long discontinued straight stocked Marlins in 30-30. I have several made during the mid-70"s that are just as light and easy carrying as the Winchesters.

scrat
July 15, 2007, 01:58 AM
I had to join in on this. Ok for the record i love the look of the winchester. When you look at the Marlin it reminds me of a toy bb gun. However the winchester looks and feels right. Now i am sure just like cars you could buy a good one or a bad one. Thats the chance you have when buying something that was mass produced in the united states. Same time though If you take a premier company like holland and holland and have them make a winchester design model 94 and a marlin design 336 then you are looking at at great manufacture making a great firearm. Both firearms deserve the recognition they deserve. Its sad to think that Winchester is not around. I sort of blame the government on that one and us as citazens. We all should have done what we could to have kept that company american and here in the united states.

today if i were to buy a 30- 30 i would be looking for a new 30-30. With that as hard as it seems i would be purchasing a Marlin. However if i came a cross a good Winchester i would not look the other way.

I own a Winchester Angle eject its a great firearm that i have used a lot of tiimes and will continue to use as the years go by.

SturmMackRuger
July 15, 2007, 02:35 AM
OK wally world has a marlin 30-30 with camo sling brand new for $314 plus taxes is this a good buy or not. Im realy liking the looks of the gun from what I saw on display. Should I go for it or look around some more.

44AMP
July 15, 2007, 04:52 AM
And an older one if I can find it. My 336 predates the pushbutton safety, my 1895 does not.

When it comes to .30-30s, I like the pistol grip stock and larger butt (I like big butts:p) of the Marlin. The Model 94 just kicks the snot out of me, it feels worse to me than heavier kicking calibers. Especially the old model 94s with the steel buttplate!

Either one is an American classic, and can be found new and used (although new condition model 94s are getting real scarce and spendy). Used prices vary alot across the country, some areas being higher than others.

If you have the funds, and are not wedded to the .30-30 round, consider the Browning Lever Rifle (BLR). It can be had in .243 and .308, usues a box magazine, so pointed bullets are no problem, and has a solid top like the Marlin, for easy scope mounting.

ArmedBear
July 15, 2007, 10:11 AM
44 I'm glad someone else has had my experience! I was starting to think I was the only one. Well, I and a guy I know from the range who bought a 94 for fun shooting, and ended up just leaving it in the closet until deer season.

People call the .30-30 a low-recoil round, but the first time I got to shoot it was in a 94 and it didn't seem so low-recoil. I quickly went back to the .30-06 I'd been shooting. It was far more pleasant.

But in the Marlin, I'd shoot the .30-30 for fun. It's no problem at all.

qajaq59
July 15, 2007, 10:19 AM
I have both and if I am going to need the scope I use the Marlin. If not then the Winchester with a peep sight goes with me. They are both good guns really. Handle them both and see which one feels best.

StrikeEagle
July 16, 2007, 09:13 AM
People call the .30-30 a low-recoil round, but the first time I got to shoot it was in a 94 and it didn't seem so low-recoil. I quickly went back to the .30-06 I'd been shooting.

I don't get it! :)

My Remington 700 kicks me pretty good and my '03-A3 is actually painful by the end of a longish shooting session.

My Winchester 94 30-30 is soft in comparison. What kind of '06 do you have? I admit a Garand is very gentle, but not a bolt... at least not for me. :)

GunTech
July 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
Gun tests has run this comparison (Marlin vs Winchester) a couple of times. I happen to agree with them.

The Winchester has the chachet, but the Marlin is a better engineered rifle for less money.

Nathanael_Greene
July 16, 2007, 11:31 AM
Winchester for show, Marlin for doe.

ArmedBear
July 16, 2007, 12:08 PM
my '03-A3 is actually painful by the end of a longish shooting session.

I have little doubt that a rifle designed to be used as a club in hand-to-hand combat would feel like one under recoil.:)

The .30-06 I was shooting when I tried the 94 was a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter.

http://www.weatherby.com/_images/products/rifles/_thumbs/vgd_sporter_sm.gif

Stock geometry and a decent recoil pad (factory installed; I think it's a Pachmayr, but not sure) make a lot of difference. The gun kicks up a fair amount under recoil, but it doesn't hurt any. It has the stock design originally conceived to allow effective shooting of magnum rounds that range from "Whoa!" to "Oh my God!", and sometimes to "That's just plain ridiculous!" So with a .30-06, it's downright comfortable.:)

As I said, the .30-30 from the Marlin is a comfortable round, with little vertical displacement and no discomfort.

The .30-30 from the Winchester doesn't blow me back or anything; that skinny little buttstock with a hard plate on it just hammers my shoulder, especially my clavicle.

Same thing can happen if you go from a hefty, thick 12 Gauge shooting waterfowl loads to a light little 20 Gauge upland gun. There's objectively less recoil, but you can sometimes feel the little 20 on your shoulder in the car on the way home, more than the 12. Stock geometry, fit, etc. matter, as does weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 30-30 or winchester 30-30?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!