Pic--going for a late-night snack in Anchorage

PDA

Cosmoline
June 28, 2003, 03:30 PM
Just like to be prepared, that's all!

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Pic--going for a late-night snack in Anchorage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark Tyson
June 28, 2003, 04:07 PM
What is that, a Marlin?

tricia_s37
June 28, 2003, 04:11 PM
How did you end up going to the bathroom? :D

Cosmoline
June 28, 2003, 04:47 PM
There's a Marlin guide gun over the frame of the pack. That's a Winchester '94 in .45 Colt in my hands. Note the tactical light :D

I've since ditched it and I'm looking for a Marlin in .357. Too many problems with the narrow rim of the .45 Colt.

CZ-100
June 28, 2003, 04:49 PM
You can never be too prepared..:D

J Miller
June 28, 2003, 04:51 PM
I've since ditched it and I'm looking for a Marlin in .357. Too many problems with the narrow rim of the .45 Colt.

Too many problems with the narrow rim? Strange, mine has several thousand rounds through it with NO trouble at all. Maybe yours was made on a hangover Monday.

280PLUS
June 28, 2003, 06:04 PM
you have to kill your midnite snack first,,,

or do you just need to make sure they give you the curly fries and not the regular ones?

:D

Cosmoline
June 29, 2003, 02:12 AM
That Win '94 in .45 Colt was a positive Jam-O-Matic for me. I think it was designed for the .30-30, and I bet they would do better using the '92 for carbines. I'm sold on the Marlins, anyway. Much, much better workmanship than the Winchesters (though not without some room for improvement--in the iron sights esp.)

seeker_two
June 30, 2003, 02:30 AM
Jenny Craig's a tough ol' broad, ain't she? :D

makdaddy03
June 30, 2003, 03:08 AM
LOL!!!!:)

Cosmoline
June 30, 2003, 03:12 AM
You can have my sausage biscuit when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

boing
June 30, 2003, 03:24 AM
Two words: "Untrained Rambo!" :cuss:

;)

Detritus
June 30, 2003, 05:33 AM
That Win '94 in .45 Colt was a positive Jam-O-Matic for me. I think it was designed for the .30-30, and I bet they would do better using the '92 for carbines. I'm sold on the Marlins,

yepper, the winchester '94 action should NEVER have been used for a pistol caliber rifle. the problem of them jamming up if you even LOOK at them cross ways has been discussed more time than i can count, by those that Shoot Cowboy matches. many newcomers to teh sport will find a 94AE in rifle or esp trapper form for what seems a REAL price and buy it to shoot their first year or so with while they save up for the fancier gun (Win '73 repros etc). only find out WHY that "pretty looking gun" is sitting in a pawn shop or baragain rack.

Winchester got either too lazy or too arrogant (as in "oh they'll never notice") to actually bring back the '92 to get the pistol caliber rifle market, and has instead foisted an poorly re-designed abortion of a compromise gun upon the shooting public.

i agree with the desire to get a Marlin, i love(d) mine (have a 39M .22, HAD a 1894CB 45colt) only time i ever had a problem with mine wasn't the rifle's fault, since i tended to short-stroke the lever at times when i first got it and was shooting CAS matches.
unless you are absolutely set on a a 357 DO give a marlin 1894 in 45colt a try (or at least a close look) , most of the problems encountered with that round in the winchester, are the result of poor design of the rifle in dealing with the cartrige, NOT a fault in the round. Marlin puts a rather good extractor and ejector on their guns, and those tend to have no trouble at all with the 45.

Hal
June 30, 2003, 08:04 AM
Note the tactical light Yeah, I saw that.
Only isn't it like daylight up there for 24 hours or something this time of year?
How far away is that snack anyhow? :D

foghornl
June 30, 2003, 09:39 AM
Hey, somebody found Lucas McCain's Rifle...

(Think 1950's-1960's TV Westerns...)

Neat looking carbine with the big-loop lever, though. I've kinda been thinking about that for my Marlin Mdl 30A..

Cosmoline
June 30, 2003, 02:52 PM
Where do you get Rambo training, anyway? Nevermind, Rambo is too old school. I want NINJA TAC OPS MIL SPEC training!

Cosmoline
June 30, 2003, 02:56 PM
"Only isn't it like daylight up there for 24 hours or something this time of year?
How far away is that snack anyhow?"

Ah, but you can never be TOO careful. The ninjas have these little balls they throw down that cause the area to become dark.

Orion
June 30, 2003, 02:59 PM
If you gotta go through all that just to get some leftover chicken from the fridge...

spacemanspiff
June 30, 2003, 03:05 PM
well theres always those psychotic killer penguins that we have to defend ourselves against, they are really mean! and have you seen the size of our skeeters??? they are immune to bug dope you know.

Cosmoline
June 30, 2003, 03:07 PM
What if I'm attacked by a BEAR! I mean, the .45 Colt rounds will just bounce off, and I might not be able to get to my Marlin or my Bisley in time, let alone the .454 Casull in my backpack. So how to I keep from getting mauled while I'm digging around in my stuff?

My idea is to duct-tape a whole bunch of Ruger .454's to my torso. They're made of aviation-grade steel, so I think they'd offer some resistance to the bear. I can then put a trashcan on my head to protect my cranium. Sound good?

spacemanspiff
June 30, 2003, 04:02 PM
only if its one of those bear-proof trashcans. you should just ducttape some spines to you so you are like a porcupine. and drape some bells around your neck cause every idiot knows that bears run away from the sound of bells.

Pappy John
June 30, 2003, 04:10 PM
Yep....we'll definitely be waiting for THAT picture.

4v50 Gary
June 30, 2003, 05:28 PM
Is a .357 rifle enough to go out in the dark with in Alaska? Don't you want a 45-70 for bears?
Secondly, can the hamburger wait until noon? It's kinda tough to go out & get chow and become something else's chow.:uhoh:

spacemanspiff
June 30, 2003, 06:05 PM
you know how whales have blubber to keep themselves warm in icy waters? and how bears have thick layers of fat so they can survive hibernating for months and months?

us people are the same way. we dont have any skinny people up here in alaska. if the situation calls for it, we can go a couple days without food. say, skunkabilly, would starve to death in a month up here. not to mention he'd have to be anchored down cause one gust of wind and he'd be airborne. :D

spiff, tactically large and ready to go a week without going to the store for food, soon as the pizzas delivered! :D

Cosmoline
June 30, 2003, 07:05 PM
"Tactically large" I like that. I stopped worrying about the same time I started having to feed the dogs and break the inches of ice off their water dishes in the pitch black of a winter morning. :D

hops
June 30, 2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the pic. Next time I fly to Anchorage to pick up a friend who had an accident while on vacation, and who spent 3 weeks in the hospital in Palmer, I'll know how to dress and what to arm myself with, to avoid being a late night/early morning snack. It was 34 degrees at 2 am when I arrived, and 26 by 6 am when we departed. It was considerable warmer from where I flew from and to where we were flying to.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pic--going for a late-night snack in Anchorage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!