question on lee 4 stage turret press

PDA

lonewolf5347
July 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
I hope I can explain the problem with the lee 4 stage turret press.
I just got it set up for 45 acp it took a while but I seem to run into a small problem
I find when the empty case comes up to meet the die on the upstoke,it seems the case it off by a Little find the reason is the turret has a little play on top and case pressure seem to off center the case and die .I tried to re-center the turret to get the die center on the empty case it doesn't happen all the time but does need a little hand movement to get the case started into the die.

If you enjoyed reading about "question on lee 4 stage turret press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benedict1
July 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
I would call Lee tomorrow and ask for Pat. A similar problem just showed up on another forum where one of the dies in a Classic Turret press doesn't want to line up, though the others do. I think you will be far better served that way than trying to have any of us help you with limited information.

Edited: Did you try this to line up the auto-indexing? From your comments it is not possible to really understand what is happening, but this may it--

Adjusting the indexing rod

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/videos/Four%20hole%20turret%20index%20adjustment-1.wmv

Exposure
July 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
lonewolf5347-

I had this same problem with my Lee Classic Turret. I have found two causes for it.

The first is that the turret is out of time. To fix this you simply need to:

1. Remove turret
2. Hold auto index rod stationary with a wrench or pliers
3. Move the nut on the top of the rod a bit in one direction or the other

The position of the nut on top of the auto index rods determines where the turret is going to stop each time it is advanced. Depending on whether your turret is going too far (advanced timing), or too short (retarded timing) you will move the nut in one direction or the other. Make small moves and test after each adjustment, soon you will be right on the money.

The second cause of my timing trouble was that the threads for the screw in the auto index clamp on the ram would no longer hold the screw tightly. When this happened the auto index clamp would rotate on the ram and sometimes the turret would line up and others times not.

To fix this I bought a longer screw and a nut to go on it. The screw projects all the way through the clamp and the nut gives very positive locking action to the ram. Now my turret stops in the same place every time.

Also, expect the wooden ball on the lever arm to become loose within 500 rounds or so. For some unknown reason Lee simply does this as a press fit. I roughed up the lever arm and the interior of the ball with sandpaper and then epoxied it into place. Thousands of rounds later she is still on tight!

benedict1
July 11, 2007, 12:04 AM
lonewolf5347-

If indexing timing is indeed your problem then what I gave you in the video is just another way to do what the last post recommends. Either will work, his method is a little more certain, especially if you happen to have the nut on the rod at one extreme or the other. You can actually rotate it so it's in the center of the threaded area and then adjust the turret to detent properly as it rotates.

It does make a difference if you have the dies and the powder measure in the turret since there is more weight being rotated. You may find that a slight further adjustment is necessary because the turret will over travel due to the weight of all that stuff being added.

Finally, be real careful when adjusting the nut or holding the indexing rod with a wrench and turning the turret. If it slips you can mess up the nylon ratchet gear that causes the indexing rod to rotate.

If you have any trouble doing this I urge you to call Lee and have them talk you through the problem.

BAT1
July 11, 2007, 12:21 AM
Also, do not short stroke the press. Use full strokes when operating it, or you mess up the plastic cam in the rod holder. they come with two.

ArchAngelCD
July 11, 2007, 04:47 AM
It could be as simple as the small plastic auto-index cam being damaged. I would check that first before I start modifying the rod or repositioning the nut on the rod. The plastic piece will normally last a long time and operate correctly unless you damage it like BAT1 mentioned.

pinkymingeo
July 11, 2007, 06:25 AM
There's some play when the case is in the shellholder. It's normal to guide the case with your left hand as you operate the lever. For the same reason you need to put a little side pressure on the case with your left thumb as you seat the primer. Becomes automatic with a little practice, and doesn't slow you down at all.

RexDart
July 11, 2007, 12:37 PM
+1. This is exactly what happened with my new Classic Cast Turret. No adjustments needed.

870pilot
July 11, 2007, 03:18 PM
"Also, expect the wooden ball on the lever arm to become loose within 500 rounds or so. For some unknown reason Lee simply does this as a press fit. I roughed up the lever arm and the interior of the ball with sandpaper and then epoxied it into place. Thousands of rounds later she is still on tight!"

ahhhhhhhhhh... i am not the only one with a lose ball... that sounds bad... thanks for the tip, gonna take a fine file and some expoxy to the press tonight...

lonewolf5347
July 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
I did work on it today seem the problem is corrected now.
I added 2 shims in the rear of the turret base on each bolt now the brass just slides in the dies with out any finger help.
I also added blue grease to the turret itself nice and tight the grease took up a lot of play.
I have to say it not a RCBS press but it will get the job done a little faster then a single stage press.
I was going to sell the rcbs press but will keep it for centerfire rifle my 06.

If you enjoyed reading about "question on lee 4 stage turret press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!