Next Generation Assault Rifle

PDA

Number 6
June 28, 2003, 09:55 PM
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

I just came across this article. I know the author of the site is a THR member. This is the first I have heard about this project and it seems pretty interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Generation Assault Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gewehr98
June 28, 2003, 10:03 PM
So H&K will have to build a U.S. plant in order to win the contract?

Composite cased ammo and plastic construction, so it's 20% lighter than the current M4A1. Dunno if that's gonna be enough of an improvement to justify the extra logistics tail...

max popenker
June 30, 2003, 04:51 AM
well, they will made it "compatible" with the mighty XM-29 OICW. And, i thought tha the HK already has his factory in US, or am i wrong?

the SIG, Beretta and FN already made guns in USA, so why not HK? It seems that soon all US infantry will cary completely non-US guns (Beretta M9, FN M240, FN M249, FN Mk.48.. now the HK XM8 and HK XM29..) :cool:

Gewehr98
June 30, 2003, 07:06 AM
FN-made M16A2. (As issued to me during my deployment earlier this year.)

Glock Glockler
June 30, 2003, 01:35 PM
I'd be very apprehensive about taking one into battle. The barrel looks pretty short, and the 5.56 needs all the barrel length it can get to build velocity. The gun also lacks Iron sights, which should be a backup on any combat arm. The stock also looks flimsy, which isn't as much of a priority these days, but I think that the buttstock should also have the capacity to act as an impact weapon (Think G3 here)

Kaylee
June 30, 2003, 02:22 PM
Interesting that the collapsing stock "workaround" for not being able to fold the AR stock due to the buffer tube has now become standard to the point of keeping it, even when not necessary. Wierd.

Presuming it was massaged enough to have stock flip-up irons, it doesn't look a BAD choice.. just not one that offers enough new to justify turning the whole inventory upside down.. kinda like the 1903/1917 situtation I'd guess.

-K

Glock Glockler
June 30, 2003, 03:09 PM
There's still the issue of barrel length, which they're probably trying to keep short for CQB and weight purposes, though I wonder if such a system would allow for changing out the upper depending on the mission.

Kaylee, I tried to PM you but you mailbox is full. Hmmm, that does make for a very effective anti-Glockler tactic:)

Andrew
June 30, 2003, 07:09 PM
See i naver post anymore, why? i don't know....
Anyway they have some better photos of the new Rifle up over at HKPro.com here is the link http://sf1000.registeredsite.com/~user880686/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=003450

Andrew Wyatt
June 30, 2003, 08:29 PM
they should ditch that scope in favor of an acog, and make that rail much lower.

a little more barrel length would be nice, and the flash hider needs to have enclosed prongs.

George Hill
June 30, 2003, 08:48 PM
Hmmm... not bad. If they made it in .300 Whisper - It would be great.

Andrew Wyatt
June 30, 2003, 09:24 PM
If they made it in .300 Whisper - It would be great.

It'd also have the trajectory of a pumpkin.

Slater
June 30, 2003, 09:44 PM
No bayonet lug is evident. No need for that particular accessory on this weapon?

Jumbo
July 3, 2003, 03:24 PM
You don't need to worry about foreign rifles because the US Army already has a second and third generation prototype of a hybrid M-16/20mm grenade launcher. It's already in the second or third generation prototype, pretty much perfected. All they're doing now is trying to reduce the weight. It's scheduled to go into service in either 2008 or 2010. It's being developed by a company in the Midwest.

Triad
July 3, 2003, 05:16 PM
Jumbo, that rifle/grenade launcher you're talking about is foreign. They call it the XM29 and the rifle portion is not based upon the M16, it is a form of the HK G36.

seeker_two
July 3, 2003, 05:53 PM
Plastic cartridge cases....:scrutiny:

GhostShooter
July 4, 2003, 08:25 AM
Ok, since one of you mentioned the XM29 this has to be said. That is one of the ugliest rifles ever created:p

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

Destructo6
July 5, 2003, 09:28 PM
Kaylee, maybe the military has discovered that have a multi-position telescopic stock helps shooters get the right pull while wearing a variety of gear. That's not to mention the smaller shooters.

All of those XM8 images I've seen so far appear to be 3D CAD drawings.

Is the XM29 an ugly rifle or an automatic grenade launcher with a back-up weapon attached (the rifle)?

Triad
July 5, 2003, 09:48 PM
The XM29 is an ugly automatic grenade launcher with a back up attached.

BlkHawk73
July 5, 2003, 10:52 PM
So H&K will have to build a U.S. plant in order to win the contract?

I believe Hk made mention of building an American production facility at SHOT Show 2003. I also believe it has only been mentioned that it will initially be for police/military models. There's A LOT of people hoping to see them have 91/93 series rifles come out of this facility also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Generation Assault Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!