Anyone . . . During a Gun Oriented Movie?

PDA

bad_dad_brad
June 28, 2003, 11:38 PM
First off, let me explain. I am widowed, so I do not have to deal with the raised eyebrow of my wife anymore (but I would gladly do so just to have her back). So all you married guys, just ignore this thread. If you are single and live alone, read on.

Did you ever, when watching a great war movie, like "Black Hawk Down", or a shoot'em up pistol movie, like "U.S. Marshalls" or "Con Air", get your appropriate unloaded firearm out, and dry fire at the B.G.s on the screen?

Last night, watching "Black Hawk Down", I got caught up in the drama, and I found myself getting my AR-15 out from it's case, and pretending I was in the fray of the Mog with the Rangers.

I know I am a weirdo, but I just wondered, how many other THR members have done the same?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone . . . During a Gun Oriented Movie?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
one-shot-one
June 28, 2003, 11:41 PM
before you get flamed i'll warn you that most of us will not be willing to fess up to having done this, i could be wrong though;)

cool45auto
June 28, 2003, 11:43 PM
:what:

Beav
June 28, 2003, 11:53 PM
Yup I've done it. I don't dry fire though, I've done it to see how fast I can aquire the target.

Autolite
June 28, 2003, 11:55 PM
But I think I'll go pop "Enemy At The Gates" into the VCR and grab my SKS. This sounds like fun !!!

bad_dad_brad
June 28, 2003, 11:58 PM
one-shot-one,

Did you notice, you are now a senior member on THR?

It requires 100 posts. Congrats.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28812

Ryder
June 29, 2003, 12:22 AM
I shoot the commercials! :fire: The letter "O" doesn't get off the screen alive when I am dry firing.

MTV is a great target rich environment! Those music vids never show one shot for more than about a quarter of a second. A lot of those will flash off the screen before you clear leather. Adds a bit of challenge. Win some lose some.

JeremyIA
June 29, 2003, 01:24 AM
I once had a Beretta 92FS that I did this with. I would pop in a snap cap and dry fire it while sitting in my apartment. That was many years ago though. I haven't done it in ages. I would lay the gun on the coffee table and force myself to grab the gun and acquire a pre-designated target as quickly as possible whenever a gun was fired on television.

Zackmeister
June 29, 2003, 01:34 AM
You could always find an old Nintendo with the gun controller and play something like "Duck Hunt". I have many good memories of that game.

556A2
June 29, 2003, 01:50 AM
Yes

Destructo6
June 29, 2003, 01:50 AM
Usually it's the Garand that comes out during "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers" et al. I won't fess up to dry firing at the screen (NDs and all), but they do get fondled.

benEzra
June 29, 2003, 01:54 AM
bad_dad_brad,

When I first read your post, I didn't catch that you were talking about watching movies at home. I was picturing a theater setting until you mentioned taking the AR out of the case and aiming it at the screen . . .
:what: :D

Mike Irwin
June 29, 2003, 02:29 AM
No, but I shot the bad guy on the screen at the AMC some years ago...

I'm still not allowed back.. :)

Sunray
June 29, 2003, 02:47 AM
bad_dad_brad, you're ok. It's got nothing to do with being a widower. My condolences. And I'll testify to it. Sad thing is that the buggers that need shooting on tv keep jumping out of the shot. The worst of it is when you don't have an appropriate tool. Rent 'Zulu' and 'Zulu Dawn"and you'll want a .577-450 Martini-Enfield. Watch 'Combat' and you'll have an odd desire for an M1, BAR and a Thompson SMG. Wait, it's entirely possible that it's just too late for you and you want all that already.
Saving Pvt. Ryan indeed!
bad_dad_brad, get yourself a cat. You get the same looks, and it doesn't really care what you do. As long as you feed it and clean the crapper. Trust me. Great company. Ain't the same thing but they do amazing things.
My da spent 6 months on his death bed. 1960. The cat was on his bed except to eat and off load what it ate. Think kitten. Make you feel like a da again. Just be ready for insane activities. Let the kitten pick you. Sit in the middle of the herd and take the one that comes to you.

Skunkabilly
June 29, 2003, 03:14 AM
Nope.

Schuey2002
June 29, 2003, 03:20 AM
Not yet..:o

slh02
June 29, 2003, 03:46 AM
I have been getting all kinds of great idea's from this forum lately... dry fire at bad guys on t.v.... use paintballs as reactive targets with .22 rifle...

Keep 'em coming guys! :D

T.Stahl
June 29, 2003, 03:07 PM
yes

George Hill
June 29, 2003, 03:17 PM
I used to dry fire at the Liberals on CNN... Broke a firing pin doing that, but the trigger smoothed out a great deal after the first 60 seconds.

ICorp
June 29, 2003, 04:24 PM
Oh man, one hot summer night the wife comes home from
a seminar early in caught me watching Tombstone in my
boxers with my ElPaso western rig with and Stag handled
Bisley Vaquero strapped on. 94 was on the coffee table
next to chips and beer.

Got to be ready for them damn Clantons.

MicroBalrog
June 29, 2003, 04:31 PM
Oh man, one hot summer night the wife comes home

What did she say?:what:

Arcli9ht
June 29, 2003, 04:42 PM
Ha ha ha. Im guilty here too...

Funny story actually, at school I had a BB rifle, 21" CRT monitor, and a copy of Saving Private Ryan on DVD... bad mix.

I thought the BB gun was unloaded (they always are) and following the sniper in the movie, I pannd across the monitor and pulled the trigger. BAP! I just missed my brand new monitor, which used to be lots of $$ (my one and only ND so far). Ever since, ive been good about that kind of stuff.

The bb broke the window, but luckily, my monitor was spared.

/Arcli9ht

spartacus2002
June 29, 2003, 05:01 PM
No, I've never done that.

BUT, I have to admit that whenever I go to the rifle range, and I get down in the prone, and get my sight picture, immediately in my head I hear Ralphie from "A Christmas Story" saying "OK, Black Bart, here's where you get YOURS..." followed by "OMIGOD, I just shot my eye out!"

It takes a serious effort to stop laughing and get proper breathing control again.

JackShandy
June 29, 2003, 05:48 PM
I do that sometimes; but, uh, you have to be ready for passers-by to freak out when they pass the window at the wrong time.

TNT
June 29, 2003, 05:55 PM
Sure, relatives think I am "goofy" anyway:D I might as well do it around them also.

HBK
June 29, 2003, 06:17 PM
I haven't done that, but I think of it whenever I see Michael Moore or someone of that ilk. I agree about the cat suggestion, though. Cats are great pets and require less attention than dogs. Dogs, there are no substitute for dogs, but they require a lot of attention. You can also get a Wallaby for $1700.:D

CZ 75 BD
June 29, 2003, 06:21 PM
done that with pistols, rifles, shotguns.:D

Brian Williams
June 29, 2003, 06:26 PM
I did that for a long time until we were watching Agency and I thought I had unloaded my carry revolver, but one round stuck in the chamber when I dumped them out and two pulls later, bang, a full house 125 grJHP went into the TV. The bullet went 3 feet over my wife's head (laying on the couch) and my daughter and her boyfriend who were sitting on the floor in front of the couch. I never found the bullet just some jacket pieces.
All I had was a dead TV and a pised off wife.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1208856

lycanthrope
June 29, 2003, 06:31 PM
Dry fire practice is always good. I play the internet game "America's Army" (free download from www.americasarmy.com ) on a regular basis. When you get tagged you have to sit out the rest of the round in spectator mode. I dry fire my 1911 at the bad guys. Helps for trigger control on moving targets.

one-shot-one
June 29, 2003, 06:37 PM
senior member huh?
maybe thats why i don't want to admitt to this.
anyone notice thats it is hard to get a clear site picture with more than 4X scope? anyone know if hidef tv is any better.
also any bets on how long till we see our first dead tv post?:p :p

Brian Williams
June 29, 2003, 07:49 PM
how about -11 min

Ed Brunner
June 29, 2003, 08:13 PM
I can't believe that some of you folks never helped Clint or The Duke when he was in a tight spot. I'd much rather believe that you are too embarassed to admit it in public.:)

JeepDriver
June 29, 2003, 09:09 PM
Dry firing at the TV is the reason I buy Snap caps a dozen at a time.

I'm only allowed to do it when my wife is out shopping though :rolleyes:

Mark Tyson
June 29, 2003, 10:46 PM
Yikes!

Oh my lord, I certainly do NOT do that! If I started shooting at the TV I would be in a very padded cell very quickly!

And I thought I was crazy. That's OK though; you guys are a GOOD kind of crazy.

Actually, given the quality of programming and Hollywood drivel, maybe we ought to load our guns and shoot the TV . . .

glockten
June 29, 2003, 10:50 PM
I don't dry-fire at the TV, but if I'm watching a good war movie I sometimes put a period-relevant rifle in the gun rack above the TV. Enhances the atmosphere.

BryanP
June 29, 2003, 11:14 PM
I used to do that with the cheap TV, but I just bought a nice 36" set and I'd be absolutely sick if I had an AD.

Not to mention that if I ever had an AD that happened to take out one of the cats my wife would give me a .357 prostate inspection. :what:

six 4 sure
June 30, 2003, 02:02 AM
Well I think it's good to know I'm not the only one that does this. Yes the AR seems to appear while watching BHD, the lever-actions seem to show up when Silverado goes into the DVD player, and I can't help playing with the M14 when Full Metal Jacket is on the tube.

I don't dry fire at the screen though, I cry for weeks if I put a hole in my 46" big screen.

six

Drjones
June 30, 2003, 03:11 AM
I do not dry fire nor do I point my firearm at the TV, but I do enjoy having a gun nearby, especially during scary movies. :uhoh: :)

45R
June 30, 2003, 04:17 AM
Nope but I have been known to watch a whole TV show through a scope.:D

CatsDieNow
June 30, 2003, 08:30 AM
Never with the real deal; daily with my cheap Airsoft. I also like to shoot commercials. :D

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 09:06 AM
Of course! Doesn't everybody?

Actually, I mostly "O shoot" during commercials; helps with rapid target acquisition and gives good practice in forming a sight picture fast on a surprise target.

Aside from the dry-firing, I also feel it's best to watch Enemy At The Gates while holding a Mosin Nagant, Band Of Brothers demands a Garand, and watching Zulu isn't the same unless I have my Martini-Henry.

brownie0486
June 30, 2003, 09:27 AM
Dry firing at the tv?

Pleeeeeeeeeassssssseee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are some real scary people out there for sure.

Think muzzle control, I can just imagine what the guys wife had to say after he endangered the people in the room.

I think a little motre range time and less fantasy in the living room would be the order of the day.

Hell, a round could get out of the house and hit the neighbors kid. Good luck explaining you were helping "Hondo" or "Dirty Harry" with the BG's and one "got away" from you.

I am now wondering how many are doing this after having a brew or two at the same time?

To each his own, of course, but remember "Murphy" is waiting to get you.
Shooting/dry firing the tv is asking for trouble eventually no matter how careful you are.

Some have already seen what he's capable of doing, others may want to rethink their actions.

Brownie

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 09:36 AM
So, you never engage in dryfire practice at home?

Monte Harrison
June 30, 2003, 10:07 AM
Usually it's the Garand that comes out during "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers" et al. I won't fess up to dry firing at the screen (NDs and all), but they do get fondled. Well, glad to know I'm not the only one. Really bad idea to actually pull the trigger though. I'm pretty sure insurance won't pay to replace a TV you center-punched.

brownie0486
June 30, 2003, 10:13 AM
I dry fire practice on the range, where the muzzle is pointed downrange and safe from possible mishaps the like of which have been reported here in this thread.

Now I'm wondering how many bad guys I have missed shooting by not ever considering doing this before reading this thread.

I get enough range time and don;t feel the need to shoot BG's on the tv.

Brownie

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 10:29 AM
I dry fire practice on the range, where the muzzle is pointed downrange and safe from possible mishaps the like of which have been reported here in this thread.

I dryfire at home where the muzzle is pointed safely down range.

Even if the bullet fairy were to teleport a round into the chamber, there's nothing for it to hit but a cheap TV, the wall, an acre of woods, a half-mile of open lake, and then a wooded hillside on the far shore.

Being conscious of your muzzle direction is important when dry-firing, too. Most trainers will recommend that one keep a special bowl or tupperware container for dryfire practice: when one unloads the weapon, one places the rounds in the container, along with some verbalization (even if you are alone) that the gun has been unloaded. (If it's a revolver, count the shells. Out loud.) When the gun is re-loaded, verbalize again.

Mastrogiacomo
June 30, 2003, 11:04 AM
Well I haven't done anything quite to that extreme, but I admit to taking my gun out to hold it during gun movies...

Joe Demko
June 30, 2003, 11:10 AM
No, I don't dry fire at the TV. I do have a framed portrait of Jim Bowie up on the wall that I use for dry fire practice, though.

CZ-100
June 30, 2003, 11:21 AM
NEVER... :eek:

You are a VERY sick individual, you must seek professional help, please proceed to your nearest range and fire your weapon. and dont call me in the morning... :neener:

bogie
June 30, 2003, 11:51 AM
You know, one has to think about the laws of probability concerning negligent discharges.

It's simply amazing how many of 'em occur when the business end of the boomstick is pointed at the boob tube...

"Yeah, honey, it just went off while I was cleaning it. I'll buy a new TV. And whatever else you want..."

Rock45
June 30, 2003, 12:18 PM
I have been shamed by the "little woman" more than once for this.

Capt Teach
June 30, 2003, 12:18 PM
You people are sick! I can't believe you would do anything so unsafe. It boggles my mind.

I'll check back late for flames. I have to go buy a new tv.:D

Why did I have to grab the Barret?

Capt Teach

Drjones
June 30, 2003, 02:41 PM
Yeah, bogie pretty much hit it.

I can't even count how many threads I've read titled "I shot my TV" or variations thereof.

And that's only from a group of several hundred forumites.

Many a TV has falled prey to someone's dry-firing fantasy...

spacemanspiff
June 30, 2003, 03:03 PM
well see, i need an excuse to go buy a new tv and dvd with surround sound system, so dryfiring at the tv makes perfect sense!

yes, i do it at anyone on the tv screen, and i am PROUD to admit it! was doing that last night while watching T2 on the SciFi channel.

twoblink
June 30, 2003, 03:10 PM
Do we, or will we admit it? Those are two different questions..:p

brownie0486
June 30, 2003, 04:13 PM
Maybe I should start 'popping" the folders simultaneously from left and right pockets at the tv.

I suppose I'd have to be watching the Alamo to do so and then I could "fantasize" about being old Jim Bowie himself when Santa Anna's men overrun us.:barf:

Course I don't have to worry about muzzle control and putting one through the walls over to the neighbors with knives, I'd only be concerned with stabbing the cat if one got away from me.

Brownie

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 07:27 PM
Course I don't have to worry about muzzle control and putting one through the walls over to the neighbors

Y'ever think about moving the TV instead? A safe backstop can easily be found or made.

Who cares if I zap some 18-year-old Toshiba? It'd be a good excuse to go get a better TV. I still take all precaustions, icluding an ammo container and verbalization; but my muzzle isn't covering anything I'm not willing to destroy. As far as neighbors go, I believe I've covered that above; there's probably not a straight line in the entire state of Massachussetts (except shooting out to sea) with a lower likelihood of striking another human being.

Think muzzle control, I can just imagine what the guys wife had to say after he endangered the people in the room.

Let's see:
#1) He did not verify the gun was empty; on a revolver. :scrutiny:
#2) He was "dry"firing with family members in front of the muzzle! Double:scrutiny:

If you see any correlation between that and taking proper safety precautions, there's no point in continuing this discussion, as we are obviously not speaking the same language. Good day, sir.

Brian Williams
June 30, 2003, 07:38 PM
I will admit I did some stupid things when I had my ND, but now when I Dryfire I take many more preprecautions, including the container, counting rounds, and verbalizations along with no one downrange.

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 07:45 PM
...and it takes a man to own up to it.

Good on ya. :cool:

Sean Smith
June 30, 2003, 08:17 PM
Dry-firing at the TV isn't a violation of the rules of gun safety as long as you can live with blowing it up. :D

Cosmoline
June 30, 2003, 09:06 PM
I only do it with big revolvers that I can easily check to verify they're empty, and who's firing pins won't snap. I'd never do it with a semi. I am religious about checking to make sure it's empty, and even then I'd never do it with a semi or some firearm I couldn't check and re-check. With a big revolver you can see the rounds in there even without opening it.

bad_dad_brad
July 3, 2003, 11:23 PM
What fun.

Just an observation - all the comments on the negatives of dry firing aside, I dry fire firearms that tolerate such, regularly to practice.

It is a great way to learn and then memory muscle your trigger finger. So if you mix a little fun with it by aiming and dry firing at the boogeyman on TV - what is the big deal?

I know I will catch h*ll for writing this, but it does not take a whole lot of rocket science to make sure a firearm is unloaded. I know we all have lapses of concentration, but don't we as well, when driving cars and trucks?

I suspect some of those toasted RCA's and Toshiba's TVs posted were killed under the influence.

Still, maybe an airsoft is the better way to go in this case. And you can plink at the cat as well.

Hmm, well, I am going to have to pick out a suitable movie to slip into my DVD, perhaps "Red Dawn" and dry fire away at them dang Commies!

ShaiVong
July 3, 2003, 11:47 PM
Perfessr:

Thats just priceless. I'm laughing on the outside, but crying on the inside. :D

Alan Smithiee
July 4, 2003, 01:53 AM
uhm, my wife does.. (well, not with her actual guns..., she use's her hand and a modified weaver...)

Glamdring
July 4, 2003, 09:40 AM
IIRC didn't LE used to use a similar system for training? FATS or some such with movie screen?

I usually practice from low ready with my handguns or long guns. As long as you have a safe backstop and are willing to put a hole in the TV you aren't violating safety rules.

I normally use action movies or horror movies (movies=VHS/DVD). Actually about the only way I can stand the (most) horror movies.

Movies like the Ghost and the Darkness are good also. Specially if you try to place your shot in specific area of target and not just center of mass.

I also use dryfire with room/house cleaning. Figure it is a GOOD idea, because how are you going to remember safe lines of fire if you don't practice them??

Plus I figure I am getting better training for what I need for home defense practicing in my own home than I would at a fun house.

Cirillo and the other guys on the fugitive stakeout squad supposedly put serious time into planning where they would set up and lines of fire. And they never shot an innocent.

Bigjake
July 4, 2003, 10:07 AM
thats why the invented snap caps! the beretta for lethal weapon, the model 94 for rio bravo, and my vaqueros for helpin john wayne out in the shootist

Zeke Menuar
July 4, 2003, 10:23 AM
I've been known to drag out the '58 Remington cap n' ball revolver during horse operas (no dry firing though).

ZM

Archer
July 4, 2003, 02:04 PM
Jeff Cooper advocates dry-firing at the zeroes and O's in commericals.

If one follows all appropriate safety precautions, a television set(or "televisor" as Jeff likes to call it, and if you think about it he's right) is a perfectly acceptable dry-fire target. The electron gun and assorted items inside will generally stop most any handgun bullet, and sight-acquire-fire on a pop-up target, such as the aforementioned O's, is good practice.

Of course there's no excuse for an ND, but dry-firing at a "televisor" is NOT a violation of Rule Two.

Mannlicher
July 4, 2003, 03:53 PM
Good Grief, brad, Of course not!!!:D

................now monster movies are another subject. :evil:

Ledbetter
July 4, 2003, 05:49 PM
I'll take one (or more) out to look at, especially if I'm watching with another gun-type.

I don't dry fire when I am liable to be distracted. That's just me, though.

brownie0486
July 5, 2003, 07:59 AM
I just hope none of you are letting the kids see you take aim at the tv.

If you do put one into the tv, is it enough of a backstop? Perhaps, perhaps not, but it is clear that tv's are not generally known to be good bullet catchers or I think more clubs would use them. They may generally stop most rounds, but thats a far cry from all, and Murphy gets to laugh again. :confused:
Never mind the potential for riccochets. These things [ tv's ] are not bullet sponges ya know?

Would any of you shoot a metal plate at 8 feet and not worry about riccochets?

Moving the tv to dry fire? My wide screen isn't on rollers. I originally set it up to watch the thing, not shoot at it.

Brownie

Bigjake
July 5, 2003, 10:22 AM
then i pry shouldn't mention i dry fire at the cat as well.....:evil:

Glamdring
July 5, 2003, 11:12 AM
Well currently when using my TV for dryfire parctice, my primary backstop is the concrete wall behind the TV. The secondary backstop is the berm outside the wall (the wall on that side of the house is bermed).

Personally I think shooting bad guys in a video is better than anything short of force on force. You get to condition yourself to challege a person carrying a weapon. And you only shoot (dryfire) at them if they don't drop the weapon :)

As to shooting steel at 8 feet, if you use lead bullets it is not a great idea without body armour. But they make bullets for that type of use, similar to breaching rounds, that are compressed "dust".

You can also use plastic bullets (Speer's training cartridges) or airsoft or paintball. They may bounce but as long as you use eye protection it doesn't matter.

BTW I know people that play with real explosives (breaching charges) and fun houses (live fire). Some of them complain about headaches after a day of things going BOOM and the fumes the explosives give off. To me that is dangerous. Dryfiring with a safebackstop is much safer IMHO.

lycanthrope
July 5, 2003, 11:32 AM
As Glamdring had sort of mentioned, I use the sintered copper rounds that are like compressed "dust". I shoot steel poppers at 10 feet without fear so TV richochets never enter my mind. Wicked rounds for self defense. My .45 shoots 155 gr hollopoints at 1100 fps.

www.sinterfire.com

Mannlicher
July 5, 2003, 06:24 PM
Some of the folks here are WAY to PC. It's almost like listening to a group of parrots, spouting the latest buzz words learned from (mostly mediocre) gunzine writers. Lets see: No dry fire, over penetration, won't use cop killer bullets, Cocked & Locked ain't safe, gee, it gets just plain silly here sometimes.

Wanderer
July 5, 2003, 09:17 PM
Yes, airsoft, Clinton. :evil: :neener: :evil: :neener: :evil: :neener:

DVDTracker
July 6, 2003, 08:53 PM
We had a friend of ours put a round from his M1A through the TV. Thought it was unloaded, Clinton came on CNN and BAM!

bad_dad_brad
July 6, 2003, 09:14 PM
I agree Mannlicher!

Right now the History Channel channel is playing "The Horror of Hussien." Instructions:

1. Remove magazine in Glock - put in a drawer.

2. Rack and lock slide and verify chamber is clear.

3. Repeat step 2.

4. Aim at B.G. on T.V. Pull trigger - Click! You are toast Saddam (in my mind anyway.)

5. Rack slide a bit to reset Glock trigger.

6. Repeat step 4.

M38
July 7, 2003, 08:13 AM
yes

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone . . . During a Gun Oriented Movie?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!