front sight is obstructing my scope!

PDA

General Geoff
July 13, 2007, 11:38 AM
So I finally got proper rings to mount my simmons scope on my Walther G22 (I'll be sighting it in later today, hopefully). I got the lowest rings I could find, because the rail on a G22 is elevated well above the barrel.

But after I had everything together, I realized that the front sight post stands to the middle point in the scope objective. Looking through the scope, you don't see it and it doesn't appear to be limiting visibility, but I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet and have only been able to view things up to maybe 15 yards away with it thus far. I'm wondering if the post being right in the line of sight of the scope might create some sort of "blind spot," or whether I can just forget about it. If it proves to be the case, I might have to buy a set of higher rings to set the majority of the objective out of the way of the front post.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "front sight is obstructing my scope!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trueblue1776
July 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
Thats how it goes on most M4geries too, it's not a big deal unless you have a really small objective lens (like a pistol or scout scope).

JesseL
July 13, 2007, 12:46 PM
If I understand correctly (big if), as long as your objective lens in big enough, the only thing that will suffer is the brightness of the image you see in the scope.

Coronach
July 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah, the post will occlude a little bit of light coming in, but the focal length is so far forward of the post that you cannot see it. You MIGHT be able to see a little bit of blurriness if you really get conditions just right, that's about it.

Shoot it and see. It's fine.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "front sight is obstructing my scope!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!