What is the best cleaning solvent?

PDA

Zackmeister
June 28, 2003, 11:58 PM
I know this has probably been asked before, but are y'alls thoughts on the best gun cleaner? I have been using Hoppes no. 9, but it seems like it takes forever to get my .44 mag squeaky clean.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best cleaning solvent?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
June 29, 2003, 04:01 AM
I've been using Breakfree CLP ever since the bottle of whatever came with my KleenBore cleaning kit ran out. Been trying out the MPro7 for the bore, but I still use the CLP on it too, seems to cut through just about everything.

And to clean my stainless stuff, Lead Away Cloth is the closest to a miracle product I have ever seen.

stevelyn
June 29, 2003, 02:10 PM
MPro-7 for cleaning. Break-Free CLP, Militec-1, or FP-10 for lube and corrosion protection.

LeonCarr
June 29, 2003, 03:30 PM
Shooter's Choice for cleaning the bore, Break-Free CLP for the rest of the gun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Devonai
June 29, 2003, 04:11 PM
For my handguns, I use "Lectro-motive" electrical parts cleaner found at auto parts shops. It doesn't harm plastic or rubber and is very inexpensive.

For my rifles, I use Hoppe's Copper Solvent due to the much higher level of fouling caused by the high-velocity rounds.

10-Ring
June 29, 2003, 08:46 PM
At home, I've got Hoppes, MPro 7 & Bullfrog. Lately tho, the guys at the rane have let me clean my guns using their stuff. It smells like a waterbased cleaner, but everything comes out SOOOOOO clean w/ minimal effort. Which I knew what it was so I could buy some for home use.

Mil Novecientos Once
June 29, 2003, 10:55 PM
Non-Chlorinated BrakleenNon-Chlorinated Brakelen (http://www.crcindustries.com/productinfo.asp?productno=05088)

While looking for CRC site I also found out that they produce a lwhite lithium grease with teflon in an spray can. I'll check it to see if the local Pep Boys has some.http://www.crcindustries.com/productinfo.asp?productno=05037

boofus
June 29, 2003, 11:48 PM
I like Birchwood Casey's Gunscrubber. I've heard it's pretty much the same thing as brake cleaner, but it won't eat things like polymer frames and rubber o-rings. It makes cleaning much less of a chore. Just spray it into the action or barrel and all the gunk washes out, it evaporates and leaves everything bone dry too. After I get everything clean and dry I use Break-free or RemOil to give everything a light coat.

doctorj
June 30, 2003, 08:08 PM
Little bit goes a long way, no smell and it doesn't dissolve my brass brushes. Only use it after I've shot the gun. Otherwise every once in a while I'll run a patch with a little CLP down the bore.

Island Beretta
July 5, 2003, 11:52 AM
There are so many good ones out there..Gunscrubber, brake cleaner, kerosene, methylated spirits, WD40, CLP it justs depends on your time, pocket and grime!!

Bob C
July 5, 2003, 12:04 PM
Ballistoil is another good one for handguns. It cleans very well, even getting the stuff from around the forcing cone on revolvers after firing cast bullets.

According to the MSDS, it's non-toxic and very environmentally friendly which is a big deal if you clean your guns inside.

I use it for handguns, and also as a rust preventative in rifle barrels after cleaning them with a copper dissolving solvent.

It's not particulary good for lead removal, and it doesn't do anything for copper jacket fouling in rifle barrels.

Jeeper
July 5, 2003, 12:54 PM
I dont clean barels, since it is bad for them. I use break cleaner on all my autos and flitz on the cylinder of revos.

Mark IV Series 80
July 5, 2003, 02:45 PM
I use WD-40 for general purpose gun cleaning, and Hoppes #9 for the bore.

Birchwood-Casey Gunscrubber is good for a quick clean-up of auto slides.

Break-Free CLP is what the military uses for Cleaning, Lubricating, and Preserving their weapons, and I can highly recommend Break-Free CLP.

CB900F
July 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
Fella's;

Has anybody had any experience with this "Blue Wonder" I'm hearing of?
Thanks.

900F

GrandmasterB
July 6, 2003, 12:20 AM
Shooters Choice is still my favorite.

SteelyDan
July 6, 2003, 03:45 AM
For what it's worth, I'll urge y'all to avoid WD-40 for a general purpose cleaner. If you keep your guns squeaky clean, it might be a minimally adequate choice, but, um, no....even then it's really a poor choice.

Kahr carrier
July 6, 2003, 08:10 AM
Hoppes number 9 except Nickel guns.:)

tiberius
July 6, 2003, 02:07 PM
I dont clean barels, since it is bad for them

Is is a serious comment? Do you only shoot rimfire?

Mark IV Series 80
July 6, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by SteelyDan:

For what it's worth, I'll urge y'all to avoid WD-40 for a general purpose cleaner. If you keep your guns squeaky clean, it might be a minimally adequate choice, but, um, no....even then it's really a poor choice.Hello SteelyDan,

What is your reason for avoiding WD-40?

Corelogik
July 6, 2003, 03:37 PM
MPro7 and Gunscrubber for the hard to reach places,... firing pin channels etc;..

Jeeper
July 6, 2003, 04:18 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont clean barels, since it is bad for them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is is a serious comment? Do you only shoot rimfire?

It is a serious comment. Chemicals used to clean barrels can damage the barrel. Here is the article from Schuman barrels which is a major barrel maker.

http://www.schuemann.com/clean0.htm

EDIT
This is for certain types of steel and bullets also. The scope of applicability is somewhat narrow.

valnar
July 6, 2003, 04:51 PM
It is a serious comment. Chemicals used to clean barrels can damage the barrel. Here is the article from Schuman barrels which is a major barrel maker.

Interesting read. I wonder how many gunsmiths on this forum agree with that article.

Anyone want to chime in? I'm just looking for a reason not to clean my guns, if the experts say so! :D

-Robert

CB900F
July 6, 2003, 06:55 PM
Fella's;

WD 40 is not much more than kerosene. Let me give you a tip. Don't use it in locks. Don't use graphite either. Howcome? 'Cause when the two of them get together in a lock, they make a real good imitation of black library paste. Actually I shouldn't post this, I make money cleaning or repairing locks that have been lubricated that way. I get to sell a fair number of new locks for that reason also.

900F

denfoote
July 6, 2003, 11:02 PM
Simple Green and hot water!!! :D

Arkady
July 9, 2003, 01:40 AM
I was just composing a post about how no one else uses Simple Green when i saw Denfoote's...

Simple Green to clean, then i use some CLP before putting everything away.

HBK
July 9, 2003, 02:17 AM
I just switched to KleenBore Formula 3 from Hoppes.

SteelyDan
July 9, 2003, 04:04 AM
Mark IV, your question deserves a better answer (about WD-40), but I just got a new Dell tonight (8300), dude, and I'm having too much fun to do the research. Bottom line, it absorbs water and then turns into gunk over time. Try doing a search, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll post a link or two if I get time, but my last computer was 6 years ago, so I hope you'll understand.

sm
July 9, 2003, 06:08 AM
Simple Green and hot water.
Soap and Hot water (lets do a Ivory vs Dove thread :p )
Been using Kleenbore Formula 3 since-It came out.
G96 works well
Original Hoppe's No. 9
Hoppe's Semi Auto
Zippo Lighter Fluid
CRC Brakleen from NAPA
Otis CLP

Have used any of the above at one time or another. I rarely clean bbls, unless mud/snow runs into my gun (been known to happen). I inspect, maintain, lube. I am more concerned with chambers, extractors (underneath for revos) and mags. I wipe exterior due to a humid climate this time of year. I check CCWs once a week. Remove any nelphs, drop of oil, but honest I couldn't tell you when -much less which solvent I used last. Yes I have shot them,( 300 rds through a CCW the other day) just inspect and check as said. Military dbl end brush,pipe cleaners, long woodedn Q-tips.

Simple Green smells of sassafrass, Ivory is clear, Dove is cloudy, both cln well...since I'm using Ivory-I vote for Ivory...next week...who knows what soap I'll buy. Simple Green I like for a bunch of stuff.

:D

taoshooter
July 9, 2003, 09:04 PM
Hoppes #9, Shooter's Choice, Gunscrubber all seem to work for me.
Just got a lubricant from my gunsmith - "Royal Purple Synfilm 32" - that I've just tried once and it seems to work well. A little goes a long long way and it dries well and leaves no gummy feel - just a slickness. Anyone else use it?

"Simple Green and Water".....your a brave soul. I use it all the time on the engines and tires etc of my bikes but....never thought I could use it on my guns. :)

redneck2
July 12, 2003, 08:52 AM
if someone did a controlled test and gave honest results. Obviously the gun rags won't as they wouldn't want to offend advertisers

FWIW...IIRC a LOT of the guys at Benchrest Central like Butch's Bore Shine (at least for rifles). They probably shoot more and have more invested than most, so I guess I'd trust their throughts. When my #9 is used up that's what I'm gonna try.

jarhead
July 14, 2003, 12:55 AM
Ed's Red in a parts washer does most of my cleaning... will usually run a brush with Breakfree through the bore, use compressed air to blow out residual cleaner and lubricate it for a perfectly clean weapon that's ready for another day...

Sven
July 14, 2003, 01:42 AM
MPro7 Bore Cleaning Gel for the bore - the stuff is non-toxic, odorless, and it just plain WORKS. Has the consistency of soap. Not sure it removes ALL copper gilding but the bottle says it removes 'most copper'... love the stuff.

FP-10 and Breakfree are great penetrating solvents... a bit TOO penetrative for me... I find the stuff coming out of cracks and grooves unless I do a 'wash' after cleaning with brake cleaner / gun scrubber.

For lube, I now swear by John Jardine's new wonder-lube... it sticks where I put it.

http://www.jardinescustom.com/jardinsextremegrease/bannersmall.jpg

Jardine's Extreme Superior Grade Weapons Grease (http://www.jardinescustom.com/accessories.html)

$6 a tube... each tube should last a LONG time. Ultra Wide Temperature Operation: -50°F to 600°F with no loss in performance properties. Tell Jardine that Sven sent cha!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best cleaning solvent?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!