I have a question about scope bases

PDA

datruth
July 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
I have savage 110 in 30-06, that im about to change up a little bit,stock scope, rings and bases but i was looking at keeping a two base setup, is it possible to switch to a one piece base and if i can what are the advantages of the one piece:confused:http://http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=287309

If you enjoyed reading about "I have a question about scope bases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bitswap
July 13, 2007, 11:40 PM
Steel bases are better than alumium bases. As far as one-piece goes I really don't think there's a big difference. I have a two piece on my 50 cal and it hasn't move zero one bit.

There are alot of tricks you need to know regarding scope bases so they'll always be true. The first is to get an inch-pound torque wrench (1-25) and blue locktight (on all screws). A local gunsmith can help you there to mount these things.

The next thing you want to do is to hone the rings. They sell various sizes, like 30mm, pretty cheap with polishing compund. You want to hone the rings with this 'shaft' till 75% of them are shiny. This trues the rings.

Then, put a very small amount of resin on the rings when mounting the scope. Adjust for eye relief and lock it down with the torque wrench in and alternating pattern.

If you take these steps, your scope won't move irregardless of what mounts you have.

One last comment. Don't get 'see through' rings for irons. The less the number of 'connections' you have the better. Get a ring that mounts directly to the barrel if possible bypassing the weaver unless it is welded to the barrel.

Yes this looks like some expense is involved and takes a lot of time. That's why a good gunsmith should be first in your address book.

Good luck,
Bit

Sniper4Life
July 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
The two base setup has worked fine for me, Dont get aluminum bases, DO NOT, they are fine for .22 and such. Also I would get steel rings. Bitswap pretty much covered everything, Amen to not gettin see-thrus..

If you enjoyed reading about "I have a question about scope bases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!