UK- New controls on replica guns

PDA

madkiwi
January 8, 2003, 03:01 PM
subtitled- Are these people stupid?

But existing owners of replica weapons were likely to be able to apply for a licence or be offered an opportunity to hand in their guns voluntarily. :confused:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2640221.stm

If you enjoyed reading about "UK- New controls on replica guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jack19
January 8, 2003, 03:39 PM
If they have not already, the UK is going to outlaw children from making the "pistol" with the thumb and index finger.

And just to be sure they don't, they will require amputation of those digits at birth.

Common sence is truely dead. :banghead:

jbutenhoff
January 8, 2003, 05:33 PM
Wow! Lets see, we have rampant gun crime even though we banned almost all firearms. Banning real guns did not work so lets ban toys!

OK, it makes sense now...

Jamie

4v50 Gary
January 8, 2003, 05:37 PM
Unless someone brings it to the attention of their lordships, the Jamaican gangs aren't using replica guns to shoot each other.

Dr.Rob
January 8, 2003, 06:42 PM
Not to mention the truckloads of real weapons illegally imported by soccor thugs who would run down to Bosnia for a weekend of shooting.

As a fellow shooter from England once told me "there are more Uzis in Brixton than Tel-Aviv."

HS/LD
January 8, 2003, 07:04 PM
Knowing the way some POMs think they may conclude that:

only people who are alive commit crimes.
therefore maybe if we killed everyone before they can commit a crime...

Idiots

HS/LD

Mastrogiacomo
January 8, 2003, 09:20 PM
I can't belive it. :what: That is one twisted country. I don't know what scares me more: their gun laws or innocent victims going to jail for life for defending themselves with whatever's on hand. :banghead:

Standing Wolf
January 8, 2003, 10:04 PM
Rarely does a day pass when I fail to feel grateful to our forefathers for having rebelled against the English and founded a republic.

Madkiwi:

Yes, they are stupid.

hso
January 8, 2003, 10:22 PM
Stunning logic! Will they now ban films and books about firearms as part of the social experiment to reduce gun violence? Shouldn't they censor all the news? Orwell was warning them not being a prophet.

Autolite
January 9, 2003, 08:22 AM
Canada has made the acquisition of 'replica' guns prohibited for a couple of years now ...

RoyRapoport
January 9, 2003, 09:29 AM
Boy, I'm going to get flamed for this.

Airsoft guns are guns made (almost exclusively) in Japan/China/Taiwan. They're designed to fire 6mm plastic BBs at anywhere from 200fps to about 500fps (you can get exotics that could go faster, but this description covers 99% of the stuff out there). They're typically the exact weight, size, and color as the real thing -- my Airsoft M4 is currently sporting the real Fobus M33 handguards and can take my Bushmaster carry handle without a problem. The magazines for my gun even have floorplates that are correctly marked. They're wicked-accurate as reproductions, enough so that I have a friend into AR15s who took about five minutes to register that the gun I was holding on Halloween was not a real gun.

Now, there are two potential public hazard problems with Airsoft guns: Firstly, there are occasionally idiots who think "this is a toy airgun, clearly I don't need to worry about carrying it in public." I've seen 14 year-old kids walk into an Airsoft store carrying an M16 replica with a magazine in it, with their finger on the trigger -- the same gun they had carried in the same position through the parking lot. This is why most reputable airsoft stores have a rule that guns come into/out of the store in appropriate packaging (original box, gun bag, or (in my case) guitar case).

Secondly, there have been incidents of people using Airsoft weapons to rob people, either by simply using the fact you can fire these things full-auto and really hurt someone (as my girlfriend attested to right before smacking me :) ) or by pretending they're the real thing.

Note that the law only covers carrying these things in public and changing the ownership age from 14 to 17. I don't have too much of a problem with the latter, to be honest, and as for the former ... The one problem I do have with this is that they're not covering any regulation about transporting these devices lawfully. Keep in mind, though, that we're dealing with PR and news stories rather than the actual text of the regulation, so it's possible lawful transportation will be covered by the regulation.

Frankly, I could be more in support of banning carry of accurate replica weapons in public ('carry' being used in this context to mean some sort of handling in public that makes it obvious to anyone who looks that you're carrying what looks like a firearm in some sort of condition to be used quickly -- not simply transporting) than I support banning carry of actual, loaded firearms in public -- the latter is far more useful and constitutionally protected (in the US -- this issue is happening in the UK) than the former.

Of course, we'll also need to define 'in public' well enough -- you can go to Airsoft fields in the US and have a whole bunch of people pointing real-looking weapons at you, which strikes me as OK as long as it's clear to the people inside and outside the field that all weapons are, err, lead-challenged.

As a reference, BTW, here's a picture of my M4A1 replica (after I put carbine handguards and a non-collapsible stock on it to more easily accomodate my battery):
http://www.inorganic.org/~rsr/airsoft/DSCN0291small.jpg

Kamicosmos
January 9, 2003, 10:02 AM
I was watching BBC One's report of this last night. I cannot figure out how the gov't determined that banning toy and replica guns will prevent further gang-related "gun violence".

I.
Can't.
Wait.
To.
Get.
Back.
to the United States!

Kamicosmos

El Tejon
January 9, 2003, 10:42 AM
Kam, because, as you already now, it's not about crime. It's about controlling people.

hso
January 9, 2003, 11:06 AM
No flame Roy, but there is no "public hazard" here. I say this because there is no direct potential for the public to be harmed by someone carrying, or even using, a replica firearm in public. There is certainly the nuisance element of "disturbing the peace" and I could understand regulating carrying/brandishing any replica weapon. A hunting sling shot can do more damage than an airsoft gun.

I would not be any happier about someone brandishing any replica weapon in public (or private for that matter).

On the other hand - I live in the last remaining large patch of wooded countryside surrounded by middle, upper and "you make HOW much" income subdivisions in my area. The neighbor's 17 year old is a wanna-be that really wants to get into the Naval Academy as a Marine. I knew that he and a couple of his friends had Airsoft guns and that they plinked off the back porch and in his grandmother's field just down and around the bend from us. Well, I was coming down our narrow blacktop road through the woods one day and caught sight of a group of 4+ people in the trees on my left. They were wearing camo and carrying "weapons". I immediately speeded up and had my hand on my P12 when an orange tip registered in my memory. Breaking I could see they had stepped onto the road and that there were 3 orange tips visable on the mixed "assault rifles" they carried and that a couple of them were wearing paintball masks. Then I knew that Zak and his pals had elevated the game to a new level. I really wish that they had let me know ahead of time!

PvtPyle
January 9, 2003, 12:20 PM
The ATF has ruled the the MMG replica guns and Yunkers air guns are also machine guns because they have a rivet where the AK auto sear hole is to keep the appearances original. Never mind that the MMG has a filled barrel with horizontal holes drilled thru the barrel under the handguards, a cut up bolt and carrier, and the Yunkers is cut out so that they can get an airgun into the receiver (and it has the same barrel and bolt mods).

Tell me when any of the gun agencies from anywhere around the world has made any sense. It is not about crime and prevention. It is ALL about conditioning people to accept every aspect of guns, of any type to be regulated and to control all aspects of the gun culture.

If you enjoyed reading about "UK- New controls on replica guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!