Pensacola, FL gun stores?

PDA

Fly Navy
June 29, 2003, 06:54 PM
Hey all,

I'm moving to Pensacola, FL in about 3 weeks and I'm hoping some of you know any good gun shops in that area. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pensacola, FL gun stores?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gophfer
June 29, 2003, 09:48 PM
Don't know about P'cola (haven't lived there since 1968)

Check Here: Florida Shooters Network (http://pub145.ezboard.com/bfloridashootersnetwork) if you don't find out anything here.

Pilgrim
June 29, 2003, 09:51 PM
You a brand new ensign starting flight training?

Pilgrim

benEzra
June 29, 2003, 10:05 PM
I can think of three off the top of my head--Mike's Gun Shop on Hwy 29, Uber's Lock and Gun off Fairfield Hwy, and Bass's (I think) on Pine Forest Rd. There's also a ton of pawn shops down toward the navy base, and you might find some deals there as well. They also have a decent gun show every couple of months at the fairgrounds. Uber's seems to specialize in milsurps and cowboy guns (I bought my first Mosin-Nagant there), while Mike's has an excellent selection of handguns. I've never been to Bass but have heard good things about it.

Ever been to the Naval Air Museum at the NAS? They've got a surprisingly large collection of aircraft both ancient and modern, but the most significant to me is the Navy Curtiss NC-4 that was the first aircraft to fly across the Atlantic.

Fly Navy
June 29, 2003, 10:21 PM
You a brand new ensign starting flight training?

Yes I am :D

Ever been to the Naval Air Museum at the NAS?

I did! I spent an hour there on my last day of house-hunting last week (didn't see the whole thing, can't wait to go back!!). I couldn't believe all the static displays. Seeing real Hellcats and Corsairs and such was amazing. Sitting in an F-14 and A-6 cockpit was awesome too. I will definitely do more exploring of that place.

Thanks for the tips on those shops.

Pilgrim
June 29, 2003, 10:41 PM
Received my wings in 1971. Flew F9s, A4s, and A7Es.

Good luck in flight training.

Pilgrim

Fly Navy
June 29, 2003, 10:51 PM
Received my wings in 1971. Flew F9s, A4s, and A7Es.
Good luck in flight training.

Thanks! They still used F9's in 1971? Those are Korean War era right?

bullfrog
June 29, 2003, 11:27 PM
Good luck in flight training. I remember 2 important things that I learned as a Fireman on my first ship. My EN Cheif told me that the main difference between an Ens and a FN is that the Fn has already been promoted twice, and the 2 most dangerous things were a Boatswain Mate with a breifcase and an Ens with an idea:what: Have a good time in p cola.

GR Burrill EN1 USNR (RET)

Pilgrim
June 29, 2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks! They still used F9's in 1971? Those are Korean War era right?

The TF-9J Cougar aka "Lead Sled" was the advanced jet trainer up until '72-'73. Good plane to learn basic airmanship and instrument flying. Lots of fun as a fighter. I have about 800 hours in them.

Pilgrim

Fly Navy
June 29, 2003, 11:44 PM
My EN Cheif told me that the main difference between an Ens and a FN is that the Fn has already been promoted twice, and the 2 most dangerous things were a Boatswain Mate with a breifcase and an Ens with an ideaLOL you made me spit my soda on my screen!

MarkDido
June 29, 2003, 11:51 PM
Ditto to what Bullfrog said!

Have fun, study hard, and remember this:

1. ALWAYS trust the Chief

2. No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft and no smoking 12 hours prior to flight.....

MarkDido
PRC(AW) USN (Ret)

Pilgrim
June 30, 2003, 12:03 AM
1. ALWAYS trust the Chief

In the words of the great Ronald Reagan, "Trust...but verify." :D

Pilgrim

JDSlack
June 30, 2003, 12:24 AM
Good luck in Pepsi-Cola. Was in AOCS there in 71 also, ex-A-6 BN.

Fly Navy
June 30, 2003, 12:38 AM
ex-A-6 BN. God I wish the A-6 was still in service. I always wanted to fly that. Oh, and the F-4. Mmmmmm.

Redlg155
June 30, 2003, 02:25 AM
Welcome to the area!

If you come down towards Panama City you can give me a hollar and we can do some shooting. I'm a member of a nice range that goes up to 300 yards. That invitation extends to anyone up this way.

I don't know of any shops up that way and if I did I would definitely drive over for a look. The ones in my area are pretty high priced.

You also have a gun show coming up on August 9-10 in Pensacola. Southern Classic (http://southernclassicgun.com/GSCode/Schedule.asp) will be doing that show.

Good SHooting
Red

Fly Navy
July 1, 2003, 12:04 AM
Hey! Thanks for the offer! I'll have to remember that when I move down there. How can anyone pass-up an opportunity to shoot :D

Leaky Waders
July 1, 2003, 02:32 AM
Pcola Gun stores...

Mikes (already mentioned)

Scott's in Jay FL...North of P'cola. Is the parent store of Mike's - a small store w/ a huge inventory. They can send stuff to Mike's for ya if you don't want to drive to Jay.

The Pistol Parlor used to be out past the beach...havent been there in ages but it should be in the phone book if it's still operating.

For retail stores there's Sports Academy and Walmart.

Hope that helps.

V/R,

LW

wogbg
July 1, 2003, 05:48 PM
There's a pretty good one in DeFuniak Springs, about an hour or so from Pensacola. Don't know the name but it's on the main drag into town from I-10 on the right.--Bill

Bob R
July 1, 2003, 06:18 PM
FlyNavy,

I know the fast movers seem like the ticket....but...think P3's also.

On land after every mission (beer, women, no GQ..etc), PERDIEM...a very nice benefit of deploying with land based aircraft. A really great way to build multi-crew flight time, so that when you get out the airlines may look more favorably at you.

Bob
AEC (NAC/AW) USN (ret.)

P3 Flight Engineer 7000 hrs
C2A Inflight Plane Captain 1200 hrs
C1A Inflight Plane Captain 600 hrs

BTW: Best of luck with your future in the world's greatest Navy.

bob

benEzra
July 1, 2003, 08:05 PM
Leaky Waders,

Gulf Breeze Pistol Parlor closed a few years back, I'm sad to say, as did the Gun Connection on W Street. These were the only two indoor ranges that I knew of within an hours' drive of Pensacola.:(

Leaky Waders
July 1, 2003, 11:03 PM
Arrggghh,

I liked the pistol parlor too...it was a good store. I knew that Penny's hardware closed too - that's where I bought my first pistol almost 20 years ago.

Overall, P'cola has a good selection of guns...they are just not in the same spot. Mike's and Scott's don't generally carry the same thing as WalMart and Sports Authority - so you get to shop around and look at guns instead of shopping around comparing the prices on the same models.

There's also a gun/pawn shop on hwy 90 (on the left after Jim's fish camp but before milton walmart) I believe towards Milton...I forget the name. And, Gateswood hwy 29N past Mike's on the right (if they are still open - they seemed to be on their last leg when I visited recently) can order any gun you want. But, it's hard to beat Scott's and Mike's for selection.

Tom C.
July 2, 2003, 10:12 AM
I began at P'cola 33 yrs ago this week. I got to fly F-4s in Hawaii as a Marine. Great Fun. Good Luck.

Leatherneck
July 2, 2003, 11:31 AM
Wow. Small world. Another Tom C./Marine pilot. I was about five years ahead of you, and spent a couple of tours at Pax River in the 70s (Go there weekly now).

TC
TFL Survivor

Tom C.
July 2, 2003, 11:38 AM
I work at Pax now (NAVAIR)

wogbg
July 2, 2003, 11:55 AM
Tom-- My daughter and son-in law are stationed at P.R. also. He is an Army Major and an instructor at the Naval test pilot school. Name is Brad Snowden. If you run across him tell him hello for me and if you could get him interested in shooting I would greatly appreciate it. That's a lovely part of the country and from my one short visit, appeared to be decent deer country, would think waterfowl would be O.K. also. Thanks for your service.--Bill

Tom C.
July 2, 2003, 12:06 PM
A couple of nice ranges in the area, and deer are more plentiful than since Columbus arrived. Shotgun only, but lots of black powder and bows.

benEzra
July 11, 2003, 12:56 AM
I stand corrected. I had said Gulf Breeze Pistol Parlor was out of business, but it looks like they're back, or at least there is another gunshop in that location. The Pensacola phone book lists a "Gulf Breeze Firearms" at what looks like the same address, and the phone number is the same as the old Pistol Parlor's. I'm glad to see them back (though they don't have the indoor range anymore, sad to say). My wife and I bought both our CCW's there, years ago.

Fly Navy
July 11, 2003, 02:43 AM
I've noticed this public, outdoor range in Pace, FL. Any good?

benEzra
July 15, 2003, 09:21 PM
I've noticed this public, outdoor range in Pace, FL. Any good?
I'm not sure if this is the one you saw, but there is a Champion International range on Quintette road up past Cantonment (named for the paper company that owned/donated the land), and that may be a Pace address. ("Pace" is a very rural area and hence a very nebulous concept.) They are very well-equipped, with an archery range (ground-level and tree-level), sporting clays, pistol range, and rifle range. Downsides are that the closest target positions on the pistol range are at 10 (or 15?) yards, and that the rifle range only goes up to 100 yards. Fees are very reasonable (in the neighborhood of $5 to shoot, last time I was there).

Right up the road is the Escambia River Muzzleloaders range, which is members only ($50/yr), off of Rocky Branch road (dirt road off Quintette); the web site is www.erml.org. Less formal and less structured than the public range; set up your target stands at any range you want, draw from the holster if range conditions permit, etc., just no full autos or rapid-fire devices. The longest range there is about 115 yards to the backstop. I've been a member there for a few years and enjoy it greatly. Parking is right behind the firing lines, which is convenient for getting your stuff out of your trunk.

freedomlover
July 16, 2003, 12:05 AM
Fly Navy, if you plan to spend any considerable amount of time at the range, a membership in the ERML can't be beat. Like benEzra said, a $50 annual fee gets you all the range time you care for. (Side note to benEzra: let's do some shooting this weekend!) I've been a member for a few years, it's a good organization to get involved with and offers the opportunity for competitive shooting if that's your thing.

As far as gun stores, somebody mentioned a gun shop on Hwy 90--that would be Al's Pawn & Rifle Shop, pretty nice selection of long guns there and I've seen some good deals on cast bullets and the like. Gateswood Sports is indeed still in business on Hwy 29 just north of town, and the owner Jim Barnett is an all-around good guy. He does special orders, carries reloading supplies, and usually has a few long guns for sale on the rack. I'm a satisfied customer and try to send business Mr. Barnett's way whenever I can.

I think you'll enjoy life in the Pensacola area--give me a holler when you're ready for a trip to the ERML range!

benEzra
July 16, 2003, 12:16 AM
freedomlover,

I hate to say I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'll pm you when I get back and have a chance to get in some range time. (Any other Pensacola-area THR members out there?)

Fly Navy
July 17, 2003, 01:23 AM
Yep, that was the range I saw online. Thanks for the info!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pensacola, FL gun stores?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!